Think First Before Criticizing McCaffery

I think we should be in title contention (finish top 3) once every 3 or 4 seasons. That's not a high standard IMO. It's not like MSU where they expect a Final Four run every 4 years. I'm not even expecting Wisconsin/Bo Ryan results of top 4 finish for 13 seasons running. I'm not unrealistic about Iowa's disadvantages and I really like Fran.

I agree. The only question is when does the 3 or 4 seasons countdown start. Obviously it shouldn't start his first year but it should be started by now. As long as he is close to those goals I don't think his seat should get warm though. I just hope that this year wasn't our only chance for the next few years since it was blown.

I have the same expectations for football. As long as we field a team capable of competing with everyone in our league, every few years we will catch a few breaks or have a no namer blow up and we'll compete for a championship. Every so often that year might get blown up because of injuries or a team collapse (like this year's basketball team and the '10 football team) but as long as it doesn't become a trend I won't hold those years against the coach. This year I think Fran did his job and fielded a team capable of competing for a championship. We probably won't know for years if the collapse had something to do with frans coaching or if it was something out of his control.

You guys be happy with your participation expectations and by all means, fully fund it.

Okay, Mr Fund-er, pony up, then the rest of us will shut up. In the mean time, Ghost-Jr--another who loved to brag on how much he "funded" things at U of I--we ham-and-eggers will wait around for you to fix things.

Okay, Mr Fund-er, pony up, then the rest of us will shut up. In the mean time, Ghost-Jr--another who loved to brag on how much he "funded" things at U of I--we ham-and-eggers will wait around for you to fix things.
I told YOU to fund it. I don't fund mediocrity. That's a YOU problem......but hey, someone's got to do it. Otherwise Barta wouldn't have a job.
You're not Gary, are you?

Won't argue motivation... I wouldn't say I've ever seen the team quit.

Player Development?? A? Really, because every player has improved? It's fricking college basketball... they play basketball day in and day out, of course they are going to get better but I think throwing an A to him here is over the top.

Game Situation- B- Sounds like you are describing style... not grading him on how he handles game situations

Adversity Management- your stupidity of putting an A here makes me seem like an *** so I blame you for having to point out that we bombed the end of the season while dealing with the Patrick sitaution.

Finally someone besides myself with some common dang sense. If the reader of my post responding to it would have read it more closely I was talking motivation of FRAN not necessarily the team. He didn't have the same fire.

So I guess you would have fired Lute Olson after 4 or 5 years.
Do some research and get back to me with where Iowa finished in Lute's 5th year. If we finish in the same position in Fran's 5th year, I'll make a public apology. I'll expect the same from you, if we don't.

Do some research and get back to me with where Iowa finished in Lute's 5th year. If we finish in the same position in Fran's 5th year, I'll make a public apology. I'll expect the same from you, if we don't.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Seems Fran has done much better in 4 years than Lute.

Now run along and stop making a ****** nozzle of yourself.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Seems Fran has done much better in 4 years than Lute.

Now run along and stop making a ****** nozzle of yourself.
That suggestion was for someone else but I'm glad you got something out of it and decided not to enter into a debate. Once you resort to name calling, you've already conceded defeat. Now you run along, it's gotta be past your bed time.

I told YOU to fund it. I don't fund mediocrity. That's a YOU problem......but hey, someone's got to do it. Otherwise Barta wouldn't have a job.
You're not Gary, are you?

The problem is you claiming to "fund" anything at all. Just because one makes a donation to the university, it doesn't give you automatic say on how things are run or what results will be obtained. You can, at any point of course, decide to stop "funding". But the "I-don't-fund-mediocre" crap is as $EC as it gets.

Lute won the conference in his 5th year. Only made final 4 once with us... so if he wouldn't of quit would of had to fire him.

The problem is you claiming to "fund" anything at all. Just because one makes a donation to the university, it doesn't give you automatic say on how things are run or what results will be obtained. You can, at any point of course, decide to stop "funding". But the "I-don't-fund-mediocre" crap is as $EC as it gets.
It's my money and I can do with it as I see fit. As long as Barta is the AD, we won't ever win a BIG title in basketball or football. I'd be willing to bet you any amount of money on that.
You can spare me the $EC garbage. Is every argument you make a straw man? If you are going to engage in an honest debate, then post your opinions and stand behind them. The other crap is transparent and not worth responding to.

My bad. I was thinking the year he won (tied for) the conference was the year of the Final Four run, which actually was his sixth year. I guess I should have researched it. Yawn.

But how does Lute's fourth year compare to Fran's? Or his third? Need I go on?

It's my money and I can do with it as I see fit. As long as Barta is the AD, we won't ever win a BIG title in basketball or football. I'd be willing to bet you any amount of money on that.
You can spare me the $EC garbage. Is every argument you make a straw man? If you are going to engage in an honest debate, then post your opinions and stand behind them. The other crap is transparent and not worth responding to.

Do you mean win a title outright? There is no way we lose to northwestern if stanzi didn't get hurt in '09. For an AD that got us that close it would be foolish to say it will never happen.

Do you mean win a title outright? There is no way we lose to northwestern if stanzi didn't get hurt in '09. For an AD that got us that close it would be foolish to say it will never happen.
Then just name the amount you're willing to risk, in support of Gary Barta.

You see, I'll take the field against Gary Barta, every day and twice on Sunday. Any AD that offers the contracts that he does and continually finish at the bottom of the conference standings in over all athletics, is a FAILURE as far as I'm concerned. This is not difficult to quantify. The 2013 final Dircetors Cup standings has Iowa finishing 11th in the BIG conference behind only Northwestern. Iowa State finished 53rd, by the way and Iowa finished 110th!!!
Congratulations, Gary Barta. You've managed to boost the University of Iowa athletic department all the way to twice as bad as Iowa State. You are the man.

Latest posts