Things with Iowa Football that I'm over:

It’s on the front page of this site. Just kept saying disappointing. Wouldn’t actually answer any questions as usual.

It’s on the front page of this site. Just kept saying disappointing. Wouldn’t actually answer any questions as usual.
Shoulda mentioned I rarely watch / listen / read what he says.

You know, on account of the whole "he rarely says anything even remotely interesting" thing...

Who was the lady at the presser? Two of the dumbest questions I have ever heard asked.
Well what do you ask when you know he won’t answer a real question? I know what questions you’re talking about. She tries to soften the question and give him a couple options because otherwise you get snarky BS answers.

Well what do you ask when you know he won’t answer a real question? I know what questions you’re talking about. She tries to soften the question and give him a couple options because otherwise you get snarky BS answers.
If the season really tanks bad, I bet Kirk is gonna break the snark meter. He'll have to visit that consultant again about public speaking, so he can avoid mustering up one.

Here's a question I would ask Kirk if I was allowed in his post game press conference...

Kirk, what is Brian's 1st down play calling philosophy? Because the run play to short side of the field continues to put us in 2nd and 12 each time.

Here's a question I would ask Kirk if I was allowed in his post game press conference...

Kirk, what is Brian's 1st down play calling philosophy? Because the run play to short side of the field continues to put us in 2nd and 12 each time.
And that would be your last press conference. Fort Ferentz haz rules.

All I know is I work too damn hard to waste my Saturdays being so pissed off/disappointed.
Time for a break

I’ve gotten over being pissed or disappointed years ago. When the clock strikes 0:00 I’m over it.. We’ve seen over the years under KF that when he has a really young inexperienced QB the training wheels are on pretty tight, this years not very different. Lots of run audibles, not recalled seeing a pass audible yet.

All I know is I work too damn hard to waste my Saturdays being so pissed off/disappointed.
Time for a break
This times a billion. I can't even interest myself in reading these boards anymore. It's just the same old frustrating shit month after month and the same old topics beat to hell again and again. I used to love posting on game threads and whatever, but it's really zero interest in it anymore.

I need to take a couple Saturdays and just mow leaves with the game casually on the radio while I'm working, most importantly with no expectations. It's not worth it anymore when coaches don't seem to be giving a shit. Maybe I'd enjoy it more.

Last edited:
Time for a break

This is kind of where I'm at. Every week I can't wait until Saturday to watch the Hawks and set aside many other things I love to do, only to spend 3 1/2 hours yelling at the TV when they do the same shit over and over. I think I'm just going to start recording the games and watch it later.

This is kind of where I'm at. Every week I can't wait until Saturday to watch the Hawks and set aside many other things I love to do, only to spend 3 1/2 hours yelling at the TV when they do the same shit over and over. I think I'm just going to start recording the games and watch it later.
I voluntarily didn't watch yesterday for the first time in at least 25 years (There have been a few times where I had no choice) and it was oddly okay. I caught updates on ESPN, saw the Hawks we're playing like a team with a rookie QB and sub par coaching, and went about my day. I got some home projects done, and didn't spend 4 hours yelling at the TV and getting super stressed. I haven't given up on the Hawks by a long stretch, but if this program is going to keep doing the "definition of insanity" thing repeating itself with the same results, I'm going to step back and enjoy my fall weekends for once.

Feels weird saying that I don't care as much, but I've put a shitload of time, money, travel, effort, and heartache into following this team for 37 years for it to piss me off this much. I have more fun working in the yard or playing catch with my kid.

Last edited:
Probably. They are young. Putting them deep in their own territory most possessions the last 3 games doesn't help unless we're playing a BigXII defense.

But field position tends to shrink the playbook. Even for schools not named Iowa. If you don't, you end up with a QB getting sacked for a safety when you're down by 7

I agree w/you and I don't necessarily think that it's wrong for the playbook to shrink. BUT...I am not convinced this program game plans for each opponent to have a package they can use when they are backed up inside the 20 to take advantage of the other teams weaknesses and tendencies. Just as the correct way for a qb to go through his progressions is to be looking at the defenders and not his wr's, our game plans and play calling should be based on the opponents tendencies and weaknesses instead of what we believe we do best; thus, being predictable and easy to defend. Is there anyone here that believes our play calling under kirk has ever been based on the opponents tendencies and weaknesses?

So if Iowa's average starting position was the 35 instead of the 20 you are saying that Iowa would get creative with their offense? The 8 and 9 men in the box will go away. All of sudden teams will respect Iowa's passing game. okay, got it. The iowa D is responsible for flipping the field on every possession because that is the only way the Iowa O can move the ball. Makes total sense.
So if Iowa's average starting position was the 35 instead of the 20 you are saying that Iowa would get creative with their offense? The 8 and 9 men in the box will go away. All of sudden teams will respect Iowa's passing game. okay, got it. The iowa D is responsible for flipping the field on every possession because that is the only way the Iowa O can move the ball. Makes total sense.

I actually think you and DD agree. DD is saying that the BDB defense allows opponents to have to execute in a prolonged fashion and that this typically results in 30 yards offense for the opponent; with few 3 and outs; which, in turn, has us backed up after a punt (or kickoff). Some 3 and outs would fit into what you said that your mindset is "what can the defense do to help the offense?"

DD then points out that we shrink into our collective shell on offense by not being aggressive. You're both right and are in line with the others thoughts.

I’ve gotten over being pissed or disappointed years ago. When the clock strikes 0:00 I’m over it.. We’ve seen over the years under KF that when he has a really young inexperienced QB the training wheels are on pretty tight, this years not very different. Lots of run audibles, not recalled seeing a pass audible yet.

HP40, I think the play calling this season has regressed. What has also regressed is the use of personnel. ISM should be getting 10 targets a game. ISM should be used in the bubble and tunnel screens instead of NE and MVB because he has speed and wiggle they don't. ISM and Fant should be used in combination in deep crossing routes with MVB and NE filling in underneath. IKM needs to start getting carries. So, we are all worried that AW isn't physically big enough to handle the load by himself (which we all agree with) and we get a luck break when JB transfers in. So, we utilize both until JB goes down. In the game JB goes down, both TY and IKM rush for 75+ each in a single half. But, since then, TY hasn't even been seen, IKM gets a couple of handoffs and we're using AW as our workhorse rb; the very thing we knew going into the season he couldn't be?

kirk is afraid to use his personnel. Maybe he gets confused if there are more than 2 legitimate offensive options with his personnel?

I voluntarily didn't watch yesterday for the first time in at least 25 years (There have been a few times where I had no choice) and it was oddly okay. I caught updates on ESPN, saw the Hawks we're playing like a team with a rookie QB and sub par coaching, and went about my day. I got some home projects done, and didn't spend 4 hours yelling at the TV and getting super stressed. I haven't given up on the Hawks by a long stretch, but if this program is going to keep doing the "definition of insanity" thing repeating itself with the same results, I'm going to step back and enjoy my fall weekends for once.

Feels weird saying that I don't care as much, but I've put a shitload of time, money, travel, effort, and heartache into following this team for 37 years for it to piss me off this much. I have more fun working in the yard or playing catch with my kid.

amen, fryowa.

This is what I do...record the game then watch later (if they win, if they lose I don't watch).
Obviously this is for road games only, since I have season tickets, but it helps.

Latest posts