Thing that Impressed me.

HawkPhreek

* O line
*Coker and his blocking
* Coaching staff- made a couple of nice adjustments the quick snap. The last pass to Reisner.
* Morris -did give a couple passes but was all over the field and looked good on the blitz.

Coker was unreal. He did exactly what was expected of him had he have been a two or three year starter. Things may look bright going forward.

How about #26 returning punts and kickoffs? Nice returns, and clutch returns. Put us in good shape all night - especially the punt he got nailed on. Saved at least 20 yards.

How about safety Miller coming in and making some plays? I thought that PI call on his first play in was questionable, but I liked what I saw with everything else.

Add to the list, a bunch of lesser roll players stepping up.

Nordman
Miller
Chaney
Whoever #2 is
Bernstien

Chaney showed some serious balls on that punt where he got nailed. I definitely wouldn't volunteer for that job. And he did do an excellent job on kickoffs tonight.

Morris looked pretty damn good all night. Gave up a few catches, but one in particular over the middle that I remember, he had damn good coverage, couldn't have had much better position, and Gabbert just made a great throw to a Mackey Award finalist. Morris' blitz was excellent near the end, he came flying off the edge.

Greenwood had a very good final game. Last I saw he had 11 tackles and the crucial INT at the end of the first half.

Nice to see Nordmann get some action, I was hoping to see more of him this year.

Bernstine was a pleasant surprise. Maybe laying some groundwork for next season.

Miller was solid filling in for Greenwood. The PI looked bogus at first, but he did give the receiver a good bump from behind.

Coker, 'nuff said.

There was plenty to be cheerful about tonight, and some good things to look forward to next year!

I concur on all mentioned. Would like to add McNutt to list as I saw him make at least 2 good downfield blocks and his early always clutch catches.

I was disappointed with Donahue's punting twice straight into the endzone for touchbacks. Shouldn't he be letting up a bit or angling ob on those? Also, great to have Norm back. Just calling a blitz or two every quarter is a needed "tweak" to keep the opposing O honest. Tarp's presence was felt in allowing us to throw those blitz's to the line.

I am still wondering why a helmet to helmet call wasn't thrown on that...

They are usually called when the player is defenseless or the defender was aiming for it. It was close but it was a good no-call. Sometimes there incidental helmet to helmet that shouldn't be flagged.

* O line
*Coker and his blocking
* Coaching staff- made a couple of nice adjustments the quick snap. The last pass to Reisner.
* Morris -did give a couple passes but was all over the field and looked good on the blitz.

They changed personnel on defense when some of the starters weren't getting it done. That was nice to see. Gabbert was "held" to 140-150 yards in the second half. Overall, good team effort. A nice win to get us through the winter.

-Oline looked dominant in run game and pass blocking
-O'Keefe called a very good game(even before the 3rd down play-action)
-Coker looked good in all phases
-Kickoff coverage was excellent all night
-Freshmen play (Morris made some key plays late, Tanner Miller looked like Sash light, and of course Coker)
-first time in a while that all phases seemed to pick up the other. In the first half the O picked up the D, second half when Stanzi struggled the D picked up the O, and special teams outside of punt placement was strong all game
-bowl game prep/coaching. This staff knows how to get a football team ready for a bowl game.

They are usually called when the player is defenseless or the defender was aiming for it. It was close but it was a good no-call. Sometimes there incidental helmet to helmet that shouldn't be flagged.

I agree on the no-call as well. Chaney turned his helmet to the side at the last split second to avoid a true helmet to helmet. It wasn't as bad as it looked. If he hadn't been able to turn his head I believe it would have been flagged, not to mention Chaney would probably have been seriously concussed. Really glad he was able to avoid the full on helmet-to-helmet there.

I was impressed that the refs gave us 15 yards on the unnecessary roughness penalty called when Stanzi got nailed after that one pick. We declined the holding penalty, which should have given the ball to Mizzou, minus the 15 yard penalty for the hit on Stanzi. Nice to see the Hawks get a few cheap yards and nice for the Captain not to point that out to the officials.

I was impressed that the refs gave us 15 yards on the unnecessary roughness penalty called when Stanzi got nailed after that one pick. We declined the holding penalty, which should have given the ball to Mizzou, minus the 15 yard penalty for the hit on Stanzi. Nice to see the Hawks get a few cheap yards and nice for the Captain not to point that out to the officials.

The holding was on the pass, not the return. It would have been our ball either way.

Latest posts