There is no doubt in my mind....

First, I agree with Spider that Jon's implication was this very idea.

However, I disagree with Jon's conclusion of what Occam's Razor would suggest. If goal was simply a change of broadcaster, the easiest route is to tell the AD, "Find someone else." That's it. I have a hard time believing that Barta would have fought back. And I also don't believe that Barta would be unwilling or unable to pay whatever was contractually required (if anything at all) to end that side of the broadcasting relationship. It would be a pittance compared to athletic department revenue.

So, if that's true then the only reason for Fran to cook up a scheme like this would specifically be one of vengeance and to harm Dolph's reputation personally and professionally. There's a sizable leap from "I don't like the guy and wish I didn't have to work with him" to that. Not to mention that McCaffery would be risking a sh*t ton of his own if something like that were to come out. That seems like a stretch.

Finally, I don't buy the idea that it's likely that the email came from someone with an axe to grind. It's not impossible, but is it more likely than someone was looking for a reason to be offended and found one? If anyone thinks there's not plenty of that happening I simply point to the Twitter thread started by the woman suggesting that JBo's "Three" sign after sinking Northwestern was, in fact, a racist gesture. Plenty of overly sensitive morons out there.

You know how we could possibly get answers to these questions so there would be less speculation?

The AD holds a press conference and answers questions.
That is absolutely ridiculous. Why would he do that? That would be like...I don't know...something that would make sense???

He is giving everyone a long time to come up with a good list of questions that is for sure. I'm not much for drama and often times think things get blown out of proportion. But this is one instance that I sure hope people don't let die until we get to the bottom of it somewhat as it is that bad.
I know Fran won't go on Murph & Andy's show because of pettiness. Hard telling what other grudges he holds against you media guys.

Fran has a beef with Dolph, Dochterman, Keith Murphy...Margaret berated Leistikow once at a presser (not to mention got thrown out of a Sienna game)...their kids also exhibit very thin skin as well...so yeah, it’s pretty easy to picture Fran and Marge running Dolph out of basketball PxP for the team...

....that this whole Dolph thing has Fran and Margaret written all over it. They both are vindictive enough to make it happen and Barta is spineless enough to allow it to happen.

I’m 99.99% sure, as well, that that is exactly what Jon is intimating in his article without coming out and saying it outright. Especially in light of how both Fran and Margaret have treated other media members during their time here.
Cute little story. Hard facts or just your imagination at work?

Fran has a beef with Dolph, Dochterman, Keith Murphy...Margaret berated Leistikow once at a presser (not to mention got thrown out of a Sienna game)...their kids also exhibit very thin skin as well...so yeah, it’s pretty easy to picture Fran and Marge running Dolph out of basketball PxP for the team...
Sienna? Their kids? Seriously? Fran can dislike someone as much as he wants but he doesn’t have the authority to fire Dolph. Haters are going to hate. The team is winning so let’s make something up to complain about related to Fran.

Sienna? Their kids? Seriously? Fran can dislike someone as much as he wants but he doesn’t have the authority to fire Dolph. Haters are going to hate. The team is winning so let’s make something up to complain about related to Fran.

You’re free to dispute anything I said if you think it’s “made up”....

And I challenge you to look at my post history to find anything remotely resembling “haters gonna hate”...

So, if Fran has something to do with this, when would he or Margaret listen to the broadcast? Why would a coach listen to a radio broadcast of his game. There would be no value in it. Maybe Margaret heard it if she was at a West High game and listened on the way home, but seriously no way Fran would have a clue unless told after the fact.

One article quoted Fran as calling it "Inexcusable". It's Fran and Margie.

Want the really simplest explanation for the suspension? How about, the firm that suspended Dolph heard/saw the comment he made and the person in charge made the decision. Geez. Enough drama already. BTW, just to be clear, I think a sit down with Dolph and a request that he make a public apology, end of story, would have been a better outcome. I simply do not buy the idea that Barta, Fran, Margaret, orchestrated this event. Too many assumptions.

Make a public apology for what, exactly? Dolph said/did NOTHING WRONG.

Make a public apology for what, exactly? Dolph said/did NOTHING WRONG.
Well see, several years ago Dolph gave up some tickets to a Wisky fan or to someone that gave the ticket to a Wisky fan. That fan ends up pissing off Marge and Fran is finally getting his revenge after all these years.

Well see, several years ago Dolph gave up some tickets to a Wisky fan or to someone that gave the ticket to a Wisky fan. That fan ends up pissing off Marge and Fran is finally getting his revenge after all these years.

I hope we lose out the rest of the schedule, especially if it leads to Fran's firing.

He said Dolph's comment about Dailey was inexcusable. I've not seen an article yet in which Fran has commented directly on the King Kong statement. Got a link?

There is a link in one of these threads attributing "Inexcusable" to the King Kong comment.

How can you possibly believe that? It seriously made me laugh out loud when I read it. If it wasn't you that wrote it, I would have assumed it was sarcasm it sounds so dumb. Fran branded a guy a racist and got him fired because some tickets he gave away 3 years ago?

I'll say it again. If Fran has the power to make this happen, it would have happened after the Dailey incident. Fran clearly wanted him gone and had a pretty damn good reason to make it happen. People would have been pissed but having the voice of the program rip a player on the air like that is a reason that holds water. The timeline you suggest doesn't add up.

Fran hates Dolph over a ticket issue years ago.

Dolph screws up bad enough that no one would have been surprised if he never called another game again.

They release a statement saying there was already issues between them.

Dolph goes back to work for another 10 games or so.

Dolph gets suspended over something that 99.9% of the fanbase think is complete bs.

Make me understand TK. Why did they even bring him back when it was way cleaner and easier to cut tied after the Dailey comments? They could have had a clean break, but instead chose to delay the inevitable a couple more months, ruin his life, and make themselves look like complete fools instead. Why would they do that? Do you think Fran and Barta actually discussed firing him 2 months ago but Fran convinced him that losing his job isnt enough? He needs to be ruined too to get even over those tickets.

I think Fran is petty AF, but I have 0 proof that he was behind this so I’m not going to blame him for something I have no proof of. To me it seems highly unlikely he knew of this and then “turned Dolph in”. Likely after the first incident Learfield told Dolph he was on some sort of unwritten probation and that his broadcast would be listened to and reviewed closely. He was likely told that anything even closely resembling an off color comment would be met with further disciplinary action. I think Fran was behind the first instance, or he at least pressed for the suspension because he was standing behind his kids. I don’t think Dolph did anything wrong, but his comments earlier in the year on MD were out of line and he put himself in these cross hairs.

And what other people call “thin skinned” I call competitive edge. Some one who always wants to be right. Thinks they are always right. Who always wants to win, who never accepts criticism or losing. They don’t apologize for it and they are gonna whine, complain, scratch and claw and do everything they can to prove it. They row one way and if you aren’t in line, GTFO. IMO I think Iowa sports needs more of it. If you don’t like it, maybe you’re the snow flake.

You know how we could possibly get answers to these questions so there would be less speculation?

The AD holds a press conference and answers questions.
I have a better chance of winning the lottery than gutless Gary holding a news conference and answering questions.

What would be really novel would be to hold said session in person rather than via conference call.

He said Dolph's comment about Dailey was inexcusable. I've not seen an article yet in which Fran has commented directly on the King Kong statement. Got a link?
Oh, please. You don’t think thin-skinned Fran didn’t let Barta know how he felt when he learned of the King Kong comment. And don’t forget reporters were told Fran would not answer questions about Dolph during his post-game newser.

Also Dolph has been doing this for over 20 years. After that much time, he's had to say almost everything more than once. I wish someone could dig up audio of him using King Kong in the past. Especially for a white guy.
No doubt. I would be really shocked if this was the first time he'd ever said it. Who'd be surprised if he didn't compare Reggie Evans to King Kong at some point? I'm almost surprised Dolph is rolling over and just taking it. I would have came back firing if I were him. But he must still want the job and the only chance he has at that is to bend over and put his name to the statement Barta told him to put out. I'm on the record of having said I wish Dolph would retire. Like 5 years ago or so I think he's hung around too long but this isn't right. Not even a little bit. He may not be what I like as a broadcaster but he's a great guy, great ambassador and like us just a huge fan of the program he loves. Barta has quite the uphill climb to try and make any of this right... There's no faith from anyone that he could or would even really try either..

Latest posts