There are still a lot of PGs out there...

Wow, are you really this dumb? You are basically saying we won 11 games in spite of Bryce Cartwright. We won 11 games because of him, without him we would have won 6,7, 8 maybe? Get a clue. He isn't the issue. We would be very fortunate to get another PG of his caliber at this point.

Did I say in spite? No I did not. Sure we would have won 6, 7, 8 games without Bryce. But take Bassabe out and we win 6, 7, or 8 games. Take Gatens out. Take any starter out and we lose more than we won.

At the end of the day we won 11 games last year. 11. Getting late signees is a recipe for disaster, everyone in college basketball knows it. I don't want to be a bottom level Big 10 team. I want to be a top 1/3 team. We need to start landing recruits earlier in the process. This much is true. Now it is still Fran's first year so we can't get down on him to much but it has to change next year.

Wow, are you really this dumb? You are basically saying we won 11 games in spite of Bryce Cartwright. We won 11 games because of him, without him we would have won 6,7, 8 maybe? Get a clue. He isn't the issue. We would be very fortunate to get another PG of his caliber at this point.

Couldn't agree more. I get what the OP is driving at i.e. we need more talent, but between his scoring and assists, Cartwright was our MVP hands down. Without him, we maybe win 5 games. Granted, 11 games is not tearing it up, but that dude played his butt off with little / no help from his supporting cast.

Did I say in spite? No I did not. Sure we would have won 6, 7, 8 games without Bryce. But take Bassabe out and we win 6, 7, or 8 games. Take Gatens out. Take any starter out and we lose more than we won.

At the end of the day we won 11 games last year. 11. Getting late signees is a recipe for disaster, everyone in college basketball knows it. I don't want to be a bottom level Big 10 team. I want to be a top 1/3 team. We need to start landing recruits earlier in the process. This much is true. Now it is still Fran's first year so we can't get down on him to much but it has to change next year.

Your two posts are a little harsh, seems to me. With a new staff, new system, new players last year, it took half the season for this team to find its footing. With the same lineup but a year of seasoning, that team wins four or five more games, at least.

Bryce is fine; he is not the reason we lost many of those games. I expect he will emerge as even more of a leader next year, and should benefit with the arrival of some more bodies to back him up and put more points on the board.

Your two posts are a little harsh, seems to me. With a new staff, new system, new players last year, it took half the season for this team to find its footing. With the same lineup but a year of seasoning, that team wins four or five more games, at least.

Bryce is fine; he is not the reason we lost many of those games. I expect he will emerge as even more of a leader next year, and should benefit with the arrival of some more bodies to back him up and put more points on the board.

I never said Bryce wasn't good. I simply said that a player of Bryce's caliber is never going to lead a team in the Big 10 to 20 wins. And as a Hawkeye fan that is what I want, to win 20 games in a season again.

No doubt Bryce was our 2nd or 3rd best player last year. But guard is the most important position in college and we need to get better there. Missing on all these recruits is alarming

Bryce could lead many Big Ten teams to 20 wins.

In fact, if we were to add Hubbard, Carter and a decent front court recruit, I'll argue he'll lead Iowa to 20 wins next season.

recruiting is as much about building relationships as it is selling the school.

Right now, to a lot of recruits, Iowa is that cauliflower salad at the end of the buffet that looks like it hasn't been stirred for several hours. Doesn't look real appealing when there are other tastier looking options.

I never said Bryce wasn't good. I simply said that a player of Bryce's caliber is never going to lead a team in the Big 10 to 20 wins. And as a Hawkeye fan that is what I want, to win 20 games in a season again.

No doubt Bryce was our 2nd or 3rd best player last year. But guard is the most important position in college and we need to get better there. Missing on all these recruits is alarming
I have a couple things to point out,
1.) Bryce had little help last year in regards to being able to take a rest for more than 40 seconds.
2.) He would look better if some of the players were able hit to open shots that he created by getting to the paint. Them hitting shots would then allow him to score at the rim more instead of meeting 3 defenders in the paint.

Do I want Iowa to win 20 games again? Hell yes. Do I think Bryce could be that guy? Possibly, I think with players that could knock down a shot he could be a leader of a 20 win team. He isnt going to burn the world up with his talents, but he is good enough for Iowa.

Winnin 11 games is a horrible season. There is no way to sugar coat that.

And what would you have expected from this year, especially losing the previous season's starting PG?

Frankly, winning a couple of conference games against teams not named Indiana was somewhat unexpected to me.

I would not mind it if we got Darius Smith,who is a combo guard and could back up Bryce.
This looks like it could be the first year in 4 that we do not lose our leading returning scorer....that alone should help Iowa improve next year. Losing Fuller and Cully,along with the graduating players, really put us at a disadvantage last year in Frans first year...and that was off of a 10 win team! So realistically, last years team almost overachieved with wins over tourny teams like Bama,UNI,MSU and Purdue.

And yes,there are still guards out there. We need a guard who can back up Bryce at pg,not Allen Iverson. That is why I would not be displeased to see a juco guard brought in....staunch the bleeding,and continue to work the country for 2012.

Remember Kenny Fullard? Raveling brought him in late and he almost took us to the final four. Or maybe that was just a dream I had. He was a little dude but he had some hops!

Bryce helped us win 11 games. If you want to stay at that level fine, keep recruiting guys like Bryce. I want to win 20 games and go to the NCAA tournament. Signing guys this late in the process is a recipe for disaster IF it keeps up past this season. I'm still hopeful.

Agreed - recruiting point guards this late is typically done by bottom-tier programs.

I believe that the only difference-maker recruits that Iowa can recruit right now are players with some personal baggage. The Iowa fan base and administration is going to have to accept that the coaching staff needs to take some chances on recruits for Iowa to be able to break out of their bottom-tier status.

Bryce could lead many Big Ten teams to 20 wins.

In fact, if we were to add Hubbard, Carter and a decent front court recruit, I'll argue he'll lead Iowa to 20 wins next season.

Agreed. If some of his teammates had made the shots Bryce set up for them, Iowa has more wins and Bryce's assist numbers are off the chart. He's very good.

Put Bryce on Horner and Bru's senior team instead of Henderson and Iowa might have won the Big Ten. Henderson was the better defender, but did little offensively.

I don't necessarily agree that the only kids left after the next couple of weeks will have baggage. We all get caught up in how many stars somebody has etc., but if you look at Basabe and Cartwright, even back to Jake Kelly and Fuller, I think we have seen some rather under-hyped kids prove they have game. I don't recall Justin Johnson or Chauncey Leslie being high profile juco players, but both had respectable careers here and would fill a void on the current roster.

Put Bryce on Horner and Bru's senior team instead of Henderson and Iowa might have won the Big Ten. Henderson was the better defender, but did little offensively.

I'm not sure about that. I agree with the comparison of their games, but Henderson filled an important role for us that Bryce, nor anyone else on that '06 team, could fill.

You mean like Bryce Cartwright, who committed in June of last year and didn't even make it to campus until about two weeks before school started?

Exactamundo ForeverHawk. I am not worried. Fran is going to take the best talent that is out there. One of those talents will be a pg...

I can't wait til Friday! We won't have all of our signees by then, but I want to hear something. It's driving me nuts waiting!!

Latest posts