Theo Epstein to Cubs?

schatz247

Joel Sherman of the New York Post is reporting Red Six GM Theo Epstein has been given the Red Sox approval to interview with the Cubs. He then states that an interview is pretty much a formality. As a Cubs fan if this does come to fruition I could not be more excited. Either way I don't see Quade with this club in 2012. Has the offseason excitement for Cubs fan already begun? We can only hope...

Joel Sherman of the New York Post is reporting Red Six GM Theo Epstein has been given the Red Sox approval to interview with the Cubs. He then states that an interview is pretty much a formality. As a Cubs fan if this does come to fruition I could not be more excited. Either way I don't see Quade with this club in 2012. Has the offseason excitement for Cubs fan already begun? We can only hope...

Well the offseason is the most exciting part of the year for any cubs fan.

Give him whatever he wants. Just hire him.

I have to think in the back of his mind that if he can bring a World Series title to the Cubs that he will be revered as the greatest GM in the history of baseball. How could you not want to have a chance at that?

I was thinking about this the other day....and I truly think that I would even put seeing my Cubbies win a World Series over even the Hawks winning the national title. It would be a close call, but I would give anything to be in Wrigleyville when the cubs clinch up that final out and end the championship drought.

And I think Epstein would provide the best chance of turning this organization around...I've always admired what he did with the Red Sox organization. And he's going to have essentially open reins here as he won't have to contend with the Yankees having the highest payroll in the division.

Color me cautiously excited.

I told you guys that the Red Sox demise was good for the Cubs.

With the amount of money the Cubs have to spend, just had an outstanding draft, along with the notoriety of being the GM to get the Cubs to the WS has to be intriguing.

A GM is a part of it. The last Cubs GM was a hot commodity from his success in Minnesota.

You have to have owners that will spend money, and then the shrewdness of a GM to spend it right.

The Cubs got Soriano at a bad time; who knew the league was going to start cracking down on PED's?

This is an old club...and has a LOT of problems...it's going to be a long term process.

I have to think in the back of his mind that if he can bring a World Series title to the Cubs that he will be revered as the greatest GM in the history of baseball. How could you not want to have a chance at that?

I would think Epstein could see the lure in that.. Ending the two most legendary curses in MLB history? Epstein doesn't have anything more to prove in Boston.. Time for him to come do the same in Chicago.

People can point to the contracts that Epstein has missed on, but facts are facts - two world championships since 2004. And this year's Red Sox team was on a roll until the last month of the season, and injuries supposedly played a part in that as well.

A GM is a part of it. The last Cubs GM was a hot commodity from his success in Minnesota.

You have to have owners that will spend money, and then the shrewdness of a GM to spend it right.

The Cubs got Soriano at a bad time; who knew the league was going to start cracking down on PED's?

This is an old club...and has a LOT of problems...it's going to be a long term process.

This is the first I've heard someone linking Soriano to PEDs. As a Yankee fan, I watched him as a free swinger, always swinging for the fence, undisciplined, sometimes good, a lot of times bad. Not sure if that has changed - don't watch the cubs.

He had 88 RBI this past season. 2006 was the last PED season and he had 95 RBI that season.

This past season he has 113 strike outs. In 2006 he had 160.

2006 67 walks, last season 27

2006 46 HRs (career best), last season 26.

has he ever been suspended or rumored to be on the juice? does he have a Bonds' head thing going on?

Brian Cashman is a free agent after this season. Epstein is good, but I would rather have Cashman.

Why? I mean he's made some good FA/trade moves (A-Rod, Teixeira, Granderson, Sabathia), but most of the guys who came through the farm system who stuck were not on his watch. Jeter and Rivera were already there. The best (and really only) piece from the farm system currently getting time is Gardner. He kept Joba and let Ian Kennedy walk (that move has turned out great, hasn't it?).

He's a big spender. We need someone who can build from the ground up, and I don't think that Cashman is that guy.

Why? I mean he's made some good FA/trade moves (A-Rod, Teixeira, Granderson, Sabathia), but most of the guys who came through the farm system who stuck were not on his watch. Jeter and Rivera were already there. The best (and really only) piece from the farm system currently getting time is Gardner. He kept Joba and let Ian Kennedy walk (that move has turned out great, hasn't it?).

He's a big spender. We need someone who can build from the ground up, and I don't think that Cashman is that guy.

you don't think that cashman, as a gm, has any influence over their farm system? and whether to trade guys in the farm for stars?

do you think it is only coincidental the success the yankees have had is timed with cashman's tenure as gm? prior to '96, the yankees last won a WS in 1978, and I guarantee you they spent a ton of money between those two years.

Latest posts