The "You're Coach McCaffery" Game: Who Do You Start Friday?

Here's my lineup:

- Cartwright
- Marble
- May
- McCabe
- Archie

Although I agree that is our best lineup right now stormin, I think I would continue to bring Archie off the bench and allow Cole to start. Archie is the kind of cat that might press and try and do too much if you put him in the starting lineup. Just a hunch on my point. I think he will be more effective coming off the bench and providing some sparks.

As for Cully, I think it's too early still to draw any conclusions on him...one way or the other. He's kind of hard to figure out right now. I think he's talented and athletic enough for the Big Ten. And I think he would be most effective as a combo type role. But he needs to start showing some consistency in all aspects of his game. It may take a little while before the light bulb goes off for Cully in this system. And there's nothing wrong with that. He probably feels like a freshman again.

You're entitled to your opinion. But I think you've shown more often than not that you are unable to take off the black and gold glasses and make a honest assessment of an Iowa basketball team and its players.

You must not read many of my articles as of late.

In my opinion the lineup should be like this:

Cartwright - PG
May - SG
Marble - SF
Cole - PF
Archie - C

First off the bench could be based on who is struggling at the time. If it is May, bring in Stoermer. Marble? bring in Gatens. Cartwright? Bring in Payne. With the bigs, it is a crap shoot, but you probably bring in McCabe over anyone else to play the 4 position. I realize he's not a 4, but who welse you going to go with. Basically at that point you go with a 3 guard lineup anyway

The problem is, Iowa hasnt recruited a stud that can contribute like an All-American(Barnes, Sullinger, Singler, etc) since Tyler Smith. Just because the game is changing doesnt mean Iowa can start a Freshman and get good to great production from him. Iowa has been dismantled to nothing all they can legitimatley recruit and get them to commit are mid-major players or low level as people call them BCS(I prefer Power 6 just because BCS is football) players.

On a side note Cully was once comitted to Alabama and had an offer to Wazzou two other BCS level schools.

I don't disagree w/ your assessment, burky. Whether he starts or not, Archie has earned some time.

Personally, I don't feel as if Archie is necessarily better than Cole or Basabe or Brommer, but I do think he feels a major void in the lineup. Offensive rebounding and defensive presence inside, as well as the ability to make bunnies.

I don't disagree w/ your assessment, burky. Whether he starts or not, Archie has earned some time.

Personally, I don't feel as if Archie is necessarily better than Cole or Basabe or Brommer, but I do think he feels a major void in the lineup. Offensive rebounding and defensive presence inside, as well as the ability to make bunnies.

Agree completely.

1-Cartwright
2-May
3-Gatens
4-Basabe
5-Cole

I think Cartwright is more of a play maker than Cully. Iowa needs someone who can get to the basket with some soft of consistency and Cartwright is the best option.

I just like May's athleticism so I need him starting. He still doesn't handle the ball that well but his shot has improved from last year. He is strong enough which helps negate his poor ball handling because bumps when he is driving right don't always deter him.

I like Matt out there. He is Iowa's best "basketball player" when you talk about just overall instincts. He is best when letting the game come to him and he is Iowa's best shooter. When healthy he needs to start.

Basabe Is a guy I start at the 4 because he can rebound well. I think he is probably a better 4 than McCabe so I start him at the 4. I really like McCabe at the 3 best. If Matt, or Eric could handle the ball better I would love to get McCabe in the starting line up, but Matt nor Eric can run the PG position.

Cole just by default at the 5. If You could conduct a scientific experiment to combine Cole, Brommer, and Archie you would have decent player to work with. I don't think it really matters that much who starts out of the Brommer, Cole, and Archie tandem. I would say Archie is the most athletic by the way it sounds? I have not really seen him play much yet. Cole has zero explosize ability after knee and foot injuries. Cole would be a ton more effective if he could actually jump.

I hate to agree with the Clone here...but he's right...its pretty rare in these days to have players that don't produce during their freshman and sophomore years to turn into big production guys in their junior and senior years. Sure there are exceptions, and of course most guys improve, but its rare to have someone like Cully drastically improve. He shot 36.8% from the field last year, 32% from three, averaged 3.8 assists and had an A/T ratio of around 1.

This year he is shooting 28% from the floor 21% from 3 point range, 3.4 assist and a A/T of around 2.

These are not the kind of numbers of a starting D1 point guard (who by the way started every game last year) should be putting up against the sisters of the poor. The competition doesn't get any easier after SIU Edwardsville.
You do realize if, somehow, Cully could end up with an A:TO "around 2" that it would be up there as one of the best in the nation, right?

Latest posts