The "You're Coach McCaffery" Game: Who Do You Start Friday?

My lineup:

Payne
Gatens
May
Basabe
Cole.

I just do not think you cast Payne,Cole and Gatens aside that quickly. They have been practicing since Oct 15,and 6 weeks of practice has to give Fran an idea of who should start. He has gone with those guys after watching them for months, so,does that make him a bad judge of talent. I like our ''Stoerm troopers'' when they come in,and change the flow of the game. That second unit of Cartwright,Stoermer,McCabe,Archie and Marble has really worked well together.

The reality is, Fran has leeway to experiment this year,and so it probably does not matter who starts...it is who finishes that matter.

Is this due to his injury, or something broader than that?

Matt has NEVER been a fast or aggressive player. Even at IC High he would mostly let the game come to him. That is his true strength, the ability to play within a system. Really much better suited for a Wisky type O.

That being said, if he gets his legs back and can get to the line 5-7 times a game and hit the open 15-17 footer he will be a valuable player in this system. I just expect that he won't be able to play the minutes he has played in previous years because he is going to have to work so much harder than he did before.

Matt has NEVER been a fast or aggressive player. Even at IC High he would mostly let the game come to him. That is his true strength, the ability to play within a system. Really much better suited for a Wisky type O.

That being said, if he gets his legs back and can get to the line 5-7 times a game and hit the open 15-17 footer he will be a valuable player in this system. I just expect that he won't be able to play the minutes he has played in previous years because he is going to have to work so much harder than he did before.

Correct. There just aren't many parts of this team, personal wise, that fit well with Fran's new offense. He just has to keep bringing his players in

Any level of D1. Yes, he is a BCS level D1.
He's just a sophomore in his first year in a completely different system. Have to give him time to adjust, just like all the players.

I guess I disagree. Name another team in the Big 10 that he would start on. In the Big 12. Or I guess any other BCS level school

I guess I disagree. Name another team in the Big 10 that he would start on. In the Big 12. Or I guess any other BCS level school

So to be a BCS level player now, one must be able to start as a sophomore? That is just silly, most players contribute the most during their JR. and SR. years.

Payne will struggle at times this year, but as he learns to transition into the new offense, I think he will do a good job. He doesn't have all the pressure this year that he did last year. I'm sure to a certain extent that kind of bums him out, as he was used to playing 35 min a game. As he adjusts and realizes that he has a quality PG to help he can go harder and be more effective in the 20-25 min. a game he will play.

I think by the end of the year what we will see is Cully being the guy who has some great assist, and can hit an open 3. BC will be the guy to penetrate and get points in the paint. Both have advantages, and as Stormin has said it is nice to have 2 completely different PG. Whomever is creating more havoc that night will get a few more min. than the other one.

So to be a BCS level player now, one must be able to start as a sophomore? That is just silly, most players contribute the most during their JR. and SR. years.

Not in today's college basketball world. Most players, if they don't contribute early, don't at all. The game is getting younger. Freshmen and sophomores are leading the way. Juniors and Seniors are role players.

I should have clarified. I think Cully is a BCS level player, not a starter. Sorry for not clarifying. Bad job outta me to leave that out.

Not in today's college basketball world. Most players, if they don't contribute early, don't at all. The game is getting younger. Freshmen and sophomores are leading the way. Juniors and Seniors are role players.

I should have clarified. I think Cully is a BCS level player, not a starter. Sorry for not clarifying. Bad job outta me to leave that out.

Way too broad a generalization.

Look at the best teams in the country:

Duke- Singler and Smith are seniors and their best players.
MSU- Vets like Lucas,Summers,Green,Roe and Luscious lead them.
PU- Johnson and Moore are their stars.
OSU- Sullinger might be the exception,but the other seniors allow him to star...Lighty,diebler,lauderdale,and junior buford.

KY has the revolving door frosh directly to the NBA system going...but most schools do not get that kind of recruiting classes or have mass exodus' every year.

Payne will be useful over his career. Not a star,but useful.
Gatens will be solid once he gets his legs back,with his shot to follow.

After watching Marquette and Charminade, it is clear that Iowa needs more quickness on this roster to compete with Fran's system. He will get it,and they will prosper.

It really doesn't matter who starts...

One of the mistakes a coaching staff can make is sticking with the "veteran players" too long. The season is young but so is our team in general. If IF Gatens wasn't injured I don't think we would have seen Marble step up his game like we have. I like Gatens for his heart and loyalty, he's an above average baller as well, but sometimes you just need to add some speed and versatility to an offense:

PG - Cartwright - easiest decision
SG - Marble
SF - May
PF - McCabe
C - Cole

At the C position I don't think we have any legit Big10 talent so what I would do is start the Sr but rotate at almost every possible moment until one of them decides to step up. I would then ride the hot hand until he needs a break. Cole / Brommer or Archie have not established themselves as the 'guy' yet.

No way in hell do I run with Cartwright and Payne on the floor at the same time. They are both PGs and nothing more. May, Gatens & Marble along with Stoermer can handle the 2 and 3. McCabe and Basabe man the 4 and Cole, Brommer and Archie tackle the 5. If McCabe or Basabe get in foul trouble you can go taller with Brommer or shorter with May/Gatens.

Fran will play 9 guys or so every game and he will go with the guys who play the best. Cartwright didn't start but he played 30 minutes to Payne's 13. Marble played 25 minutes in the game yesterday. You really think at this point in time Marble can play more than 25 effective minutes per game?

Say we run a starting lineup out there that includes Cartwright, Archie and Marble. There's no guarantee that they play as well as they did last game. Coaches have to go off what they see in practice and games. If Marble and Archie continue to play well when given the chance, they'll keep getting more time. The good news is Fran will use a bunch of guys every game so people should stay engaged and get better. We desperately need Gatens to start knocking down open shots, that will open things up for him and the team.

Mason Plumlee is Dukes best player in my opinion. That guy is a beast. He is only a sophomore.

Any more in college BB your most "impactful" players are generally 1-2 year players. They are so good that NBA teams draft them.

You can have solid older players for sure but your absolute studs are generally 1-2 year guys anymore.

I hate to agree with the Clone here...but he's right...its pretty rare in these days to have players that don't produce during their freshman and sophomore years to turn into big production guys in their junior and senior years. Sure there are exceptions, and of course most guys improve, but its rare to have someone like Cully drastically improve. He shot 36.8% from the field last year, 32% from three, averaged 3.8 assists and had an A/T ratio of around 1.

This year he is shooting 28% from the floor 21% from 3 point range, 3.4 assist and a A/T of around 2.

These are not the kind of numbers of a starting D1 point guard (who by the way started every game last year) should be putting up against the sisters of the poor. The competition doesn't get any easier after SIU Edwardsville.

Way too broad a generalization.

Look at the best teams in the country:

Duke- Singler and Smith are seniors and their best players.
MSU- Vets like Lucas,Summers,Green,Roe and Luscious lead them.
PU- Johnson and Moore are their stars.
OSU- Sullinger might be the exception,but the other seniors allow him to star...Lighty,diebler,lauderdale,and junior buford.

KY has the revolving door frosh directly to the NBA system going...but most schools do not get that kind of recruiting classes or have mass exodus' every year.

Payne will be useful over his career. Not a star,but useful.
Gatens will be solid once he gets his legs back,with his shot to follow.

After watching Marquette and Charminade, it is clear that Iowa needs more quickness on this roster to compete with Fran's system. He will get it,and they will prosper.

Singler and Smith were studs as freshmen. That is my point. If guys are studs as juniors/seniors, they generally were studs early on. It is very rare to see players all of a sudden come into their own any more. These kids play so much ball in high school in AAU that they are generally either good or not good when they come to college.

I will say that it is different for big men. You can be bad when you are young as a big man and get better as you get use to your body. But guards/forwards are either good or bad

My point in having Gatens in the starting line up is. He draws attention probably draws defense best players. Other kids to young to inexperienced. I guess Matt brings all the intangibles to the line up.

Latest posts