The "what have you done for me lately" crowd

SteveGarvey

....need to go away.

Look, I'm unhappy with how the season turned out and I think KF's coaching left something to be desired at times but let's get a perspective. Two years ago we won the Outback bowl, finished 9-4 and were #20 in the country. Last year we went 11-2, won the Orange Bowl and finished #7. Now, the cry-babies out there are all b*%$* and moaning about KF and the coaching staff to the point where we're about a 1/2 a season away from the same group calling for his head.

The luck was with us last year and it wasn't this year. It happens.

If we take his tenure at Iowa as a whole, he's done a fantastic job as our coach and we should be grateful to have him. I don't begrudge him making $3 million dollars (doesn't he give a lot to charities btw?), and I don't think any of us would turn that down were we in the same situation he is in.

I'll predict that if Ferentz is our coach in 2020 then we'll have had some successful years and some down ones. This is Iowa-we're going to rebuild and not reload every single year. We're not going to go 10-2 or better every year-we're going to lose some tough games and win some great games. That's football and that's life. Deal with it.

....need to go away.

Look, I'm unhappy with how the season turned out and I think KF's coaching left something to be desired at times but let's get a perspective. Two years ago we won the Outback bowl, finished 9-4 and were #20 in the country. Last year we went 11-2, won the Orange Bowl and finished #7. Now, the cry-babies out there are all b*%$* and moaning about KF and the coaching staff to the point where we're about a 1/2 a season away from the same group calling for his head.

If we take his tenure at Iowa as a whole, he's done a fantastic job as our coach and we should be grateful to have him. I don't begrudge him making $3 million dollars (doesn't he give a lot to charities btw?), and I don't think any of us would turn that down were we in the same situation he is in.

I'll predict that if Ferentz is our coach in 2020 then we'll have had some successful years and some down ones. This is Iowa-we're going to rebuild and not reload every single year. We're not going to go 10-2 or better every year-we're going to lose some tough games and win some great games. That's football and that's life. Deal with it.

Freaking awesome post. Could not have said it better. How much longer are some of these people going to b*tch about something that is over and cannot be changed?! As I said in another thread, I am looking forward to the bowl game!

....need to go away.

Good post, although I can't see Ferentz staying here through 2020. In fact, if by chance the youngest Ferentz does not turn out to be a D1 talent, I would not be totally shocked to see Kirk leave shortly after James graduates.

People need to gain a little perspective this year. It's OK to be disappointed, but to call for wholesale changes is a little too much. Just look around the nation: Texas, Miami of FL, Florida, USC, Georgia, Michigan and Notre Dame all had seasons as bad or even worse than Iowa. And these teams have a significant recruiting advantage over Iowa. There just are not going to be very many teams that are going to win 9+ games every year.

Good post, although I can't see Ferentz staying here through 2020. In fact, if by chance the youngest Ferentz does not turn out to be a D1 talent, I would not be totally shocked to see Kirk leave shortly after James graduates.

People need to gain a little perspective this year. It's OK to be disappointed, but to call for wholesale changes is a little too much. Just look around the nation: Texas, Miami of FL, Florida, USC, Georgia, Michigan and Notre Dame all had seasons as bad or even worse than Iowa. And these teams have a significant recruiting advantage over Iowa. There just are not going to be very many teams that are going to win 9+ games every year without cheating...

Fixed. :D

I agree - the football is an oblong object and it bounces in strange ways. Last year, we were lucky enough to be able to block two FGs in a row against a FCS school - now some of you might say that a game like that shouldn't be close enough to come down to 2 FG attempts at the end, but we had them right where we wanted them - you know, their defense held our offense in check the whole game, their offense then had one of those miracle drives that our defense never gives up at the end of the game, but when it came down to clutch time, we dropped the hammer on them and through skilled technique, we blocked 2 FGs.

And NU has just had a lot of luck against Iowa since 2005. That onside kick they recovered in 2005 set the table for an unprecedented run of good luck by them.

And Western Michigan just got lucky back in 2007. They were lucky we even invited them to Iowa City to begin with and then they got lucky in the game.

And Indiana beating us in 2006 and 2007 and playing us close in 2009 and 2010 was also sheer luck. Those guys have an inordinate amount of luck against Iowa.

And my goodness, has anyone on here seen a team luckier than Minnesota was on Saturday? I mean, talk about lucky breaks all over the place, how lucky were they the field was icy and we had 12 guys on the field in a key situation?

I'm not even going to talk about how lucky Iowa State has been against us, those guys play us like it is their Super Bowl and they have had more lucky breaks against us than they have had against any other team.

The haters need to step away from the ledge and realize that with parity in college football, we have the same level of talent as everyone else, except Ohio State, and when we win, it is good luck and great coaching and when we lose it is just bad luck.

....need to go away.

Good post it would be a great post if not for the luck statement.

The people who say Iowa didn't get lucky enough, didn't watch the same season I did. 5 Defensive stops and Iowa is undefeated.. That isn't being unlucky,that's just losing your will. Clayborn said "We lost the will to win". Enough said.

I'm not a what have you done lately type of guy. Iowa had all the pieces for it to be a very good to great season. They just lost focus and it had nothing to do with be unlucky.

scoring 17 ppg in the last 4 games isn't "luck", it's **** poor offense. giving up last minute scoring drives to the defense in every loss isn't "luck", it's poor defense. missing chip shots, extra points, and allowing long kick returns isn't "luck", it's poor special teams.

I agree - the football is an oblong object and it bounces in strange ways. Last year, we were lucky enough to be able to block two FGs in a row against a FCS school - now some of you might say that a game like that shouldn't be close enough to come down to 2 FG attempts at the end, but we had them right where we wanted them - you know, their defense held our offense in check the whole game, their offense then had one of those miracle drives that our defense never gives up at the end of the game, but when it came down to clutch time, we dropped the hammer on them and through skilled technique, we blocked 2 FGs.

And NU has just had a lot of luck against Iowa since 2005. That onside kick they recovered in 2005 set the table for an unprecedented run of good luck by them.

And Western Michigan just got lucky back in 2007. They were lucky we even invited them to Iowa City to begin with and then they got lucky in the game.

And Indiana beating us in 2006 and 2007 and playing us close in 2009 and 2010 was also sheer luck. Those guys have an inordinate amount of luck against Iowa.

And my goodness, has anyone on here seen a team luckier than Minnesota was on Saturday? I mean, talk about lucky breaks all over the place, how lucky were they the field was icy and we had 12 guys on the field in a key situation?

I'm not even going to talk about how lucky Iowa State has been against us, those guys play us like it is their Super Bowl and they have had more lucky breaks against us than they have had against any other team.

The haters need to step away from the ledge and realize that with parity in college football, we have the same level of talent as everyone else, except Ohio State, and when we win, it is good luck and great coaching and when we lose it is just bad luck.

It is kind of funny great coaching when we win and bad luck when we don't seems really strange how that works.

Unlike the hawks...OK4P again comes through in the clutch.

It all depends on how you view or define "success". In 12 seasons under KF, we have had 5 successful seasons on my scale, which is 9 wins. That includes 2008 when we were on the brink of disaster before Murray's kick, and the bowl win was the 9th win. Now, it is only fair to give a new head coach a couple years to initiate his program. 7 seasons under KF were not successful, with the caveat that the first couple should probably be forgiven, so I'll be generous and say he has had 5 successful, and 5 unsuccessful. 6, 7 or even 8 wins, and 6 or 5 losses, when you play at least 2 games against non-BCS conference opponents, means you were average. You beat half the teams you played that are in your league, and lost to the other half.

I think fans are entitled to be frustrated, and it has been pointed out by others that KF is the highest paid employee of the State of Iowa, and it is beyond dispute that he was not successful this season. That said, I am very fond of Kirk Ferentz and his staff, I think he is a good, principled coach and person, and hard working with the best intentions. I am only concerned that we may never get to the point where we have significantly more successful seasons than non-successful. As great as Iowa fans are (some of the best if not the best in the country), deserve greatness.

....need to go away.

Actually, it's guys like you that need to go away.....seriously. This whole "we're just Iowa" schtick has gotten so old it's not even funny. I don't notice Nebraska saying, "Hey, we're just Nebraska." The only way to get there is having a coaching staff that demands excellence and instills it into every fiber of the program. Ferentz doesn't do that. That's why he's had 2 teams quit on him in the past 5 years. Period.

People aren't ****** or calling for Ferentz's head because we're 7-5. They're ****** and calling for heads because we just witnessed one of the most talented team in Iowa history quit on their team, their coaches and their fans. Only one person has ultimate control of that, and it's the head coach. But according to him, "we just have a few things we need to clean up."

Actually, it's guys like you that need to go away.....seriously. This whole "we're just Iowa" schtick has gotten so old it's not even funny. I don't notice Nebraska saying, "Hey, we're just Nebraska." The only way to get there is having a coaching staff that demands excellence and instills it into every fiber of the program. Ferentz doesn't do that. That's why he's had 2 teams quit on him in the past 5 years. Period.

People aren't ****** or calling for Ferentz's head because we're 7-5. They're ****** and calling for heads because we just witnessed one of the most talented team in Iowa history quit on their team, their coaches and their fans. Only one person has ultimate control of that, and it's the head coach. But according to him, "we just have a few things we need to clean up."

big ol' +1

Word to your momma!

Nebraska is lower population than, further from urban centers than, and in an inferior conference (for the time being) compared to Iowa...and they, even after the post-Osborne debacle, are back on track to Eliteville.

This "we're just Iowa" crap doesn't fly when your even more hamstrung neighbor is getting it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkhawk73

Word to your momma!

Nebraska is lower population than, further from urban centers than, and in an inferior conference (for the time being) compared to Iowa...and they, even after the post-Osborne debacle, are back on track to Eliteville.

This "we're just Iowa" crap doesn't fly when your even more hamstrung neighbor is getting it done.

AMEN!

Seriously, this mediocre attitude is somewhat the reason these coaches have it as well---- they figure just pacify the baby and give them some bowl games and call it a night--- This set the bar low philosophy is utterly unacceptable and I for one absolutely do not tolerate.

i'm 33 years old and have bled black and gold all 33 years and love the hawks thick and thin and will continue to do so i don't care if we go 0-12(i remember going to kinnick as a young boy and now sharing that with my son, i love it i love it i love it!!)---but to think for one minute i'm going to sit idle and just accept average because "we're iowa" is the lamest thing i have ever heard and will never subscribe to it---- there's a reason for the adage; tough love.

I'd take a 7-5 team that tried to win and did whatever it took to win (minus cheating) than a 7-5 team that has no grit, no b*lls, no trick's up it's sleeve to try and beat your opponent any day of the week and twice on sunday.

Sad, when little brother wasn't too far off the track of Iowa's record (5-7 V 7-5) and they had literally the 3rd or 4th toughest schedule in the nation.
They have about a 1/4th of the talent and depth we have and just as bad with the injuries--- and some want to say this isn't about coaching---are you f'ng kidding me?!?

Last edited:
1) Should not have lost to Minnesota. It was their bowl game, should have expected trick plays or the go for it attitude. Should have blown their doors off. Atone for run of bad games
2) Snatched victory from the jaws of defeat at Indiana. Should have blown their doors off
3) Lost to NW, Wisconsin put up 70 on them....what did we score? 17? And that has nothing to do with Persa. Should have blown their doors off
4) Had Wisconsin beat and let em up.

I would move on if I heard KF say we underperformed...players AND staff and it is really unexcuseable. Had the pieces in place and underachieved. Bottom line. I have grown weary of "things to clean up" coach speak

....need to go away.

I don't know if this qualifies for "what have you done for me lately" but in the last five years Iowa's B10 record is 21-19.

Over his tenure Kirk has a B10 record of 53-43 (55%).

I don't want the guy fired. I just think there are some legit questions that deserve answers. 3+ million a year for a .500 B10 record isn't exactly good money spent.

Anyone who invests in the University of Iowa program has a right to speak there mind and a right to their own opinion. Whether you sponsor a scholarship, buy tickets, merchandise or concessions, you have a right to "B&^%t, moan and complain" as much as you want as far as I'm concerned. Furthermore, this is a free country (just ask Ricky) so we all have the right to speak our minds, right or wrong!

Anyone who invests in the University of Iowa program has a right to speak there mind and a right to their own opinion. Whether you sponsor a scholarship, buy tickets, merchandise or concessions, you have a right to "B&^%t, moan and complain" as much as you want as far as I'm concerned. Furthermore, this is a free country (just ask Ricky) so we all have the right to speak our minds, right or wrong!

When it comes to the coaches, sure. The players? Not so much. Taking jabs at a bunch of college kids because YOU (not specifically calling you out, 76) are frustrated with how the season has gone is downright pathetic.

Latest posts