The "what have you done for me lately" crowd

AMEN!

Seriously, this mediocre attitude is somewhat the reason these coaches have it as well---- they figure just pacify the baby and give them some bowl games and call it a night

Do you really believe that KF and the other coaches have this "call it a night" work ethic?

This set the bar low philosophy is utterly unacceptable and I for one absolutely do not tolerate.

i'm 33 years old and have bled black and gold all 33 years and love the hawks thick and thin and will continue to do so i don't care if we go 0-12(i remember going to kinnick as a young boy and now sharing that with my son, i love it i love it i love it!!)---but to think for one minute i'm going to sit idle and just accept average because "we're iowa" is the lamest thing i have ever heard and will never subscribe to it---- there's a reason for the adage; tough love.

If you can't tolerate it and you're not going to sit idle, then I guess you should go to an I-Club meeting and tell Kirk face-to-face exactly how you feel and exactly what he needs to do to right the ship. Or go tell a player like Daniels that he needs to have a better attitude next year. Venting on a forum is just not going to cut it. You need to put your anger into action. Demonstrate your tough love. Otherwise, it's just going to keep gnawing at you... probably cause an ulcer.

Last edited:
Do you really believe that KF and the other coaches have this "call it a night" work ethic?

If you can't tolerate it and you'red not going to sit idle, then I guess you should go to an I-Club meeting and tell Kirk face-to-face exactly how you feel and exactly what he needs to do to right the ship. Or go tell a player like Daniels that he needs to have a better attitude next year. Venting on a forum is just not going to cut it. You need to put your anger into action. Demonstrate your tough love. Otherwise, it's just going to keep gnawing at you... probably cause an ulcer.

I'm trying to get O'Keefe either elected President or hired as the head man at Indiana, but no one seems willing to contribute to either cause. These guys are ALL talk.

It all depends on how you view or define "success". In 12 seasons under KF, we have had 5 successful seasons on my scale, which is 9 wins. That includes 2008 when we were on the brink of disaster before Murray's kick, and the bowl win was the 9th win. Now, it is only fair to give a new head coach a couple years to initiate his program. 7 seasons under KF were not successful, with the caveat that the first couple should probably be forgiven, so I'll be generous and say he has had 5 successful, and 5 unsuccessful. 6, 7 or even 8 wins, and 6 or 5 losses, when you play at least 2 games against non-BCS conference opponents, means you were average. You beat half the teams you played that are in your league, and lost to the other half.

I think fans are entitled to be frustrated, and it has been pointed out by others that KF is the highest paid employee of the State of Iowa, and it is beyond dispute that he was not successful this season. That said, I am very fond of Kirk Ferentz and his staff, I think he is a good, principled coach and person, and hard working with the best intentions. I am only concerned that we may never get to the point where we have significantly more successful seasons than non-successful. As great as Iowa fans are (some of the best if not the best in the country), deserve greatness.
As a point of reference, by your criteria Hayden Fry was successful in only 6 out of 20 seasons at Iowa. Kirk is way ahead of that pace. And I believe Fry only finished in the AP Top 10 once, while Kirk has done it 4 times.

There really are not that many teams that have "significantly more" successful (9 win) seasons than non-successful seasons. And some of the teams that meet that criteria have sold their souls to get to that level. I was extremely disappointed with this season. But there are plenty of fan bases (who are just as dedicated as Iowa fans) who would be thrilled to have had our level of success over the last decade.

To be fair to Hayden, most of Kirk's years here we've played 12 game regular season schedules, whereas during Hayden's time here it was 11. When you get to play an extra patty cake team each year it does make getting to 9 wins a little easier.

Still haven't seen a suggestion as to what the answer is...

Who are you getting if you fire Kirk? You do realize that the coaching community and the media look at him as one of the best, right? If you fire him for winning 7 games, who in their right mind is going to come here?

And do none of you remember Tom Davis? That worked out pretty well, right? Only set the basketball program back a decade or so.

If you want to call 37th in the nation not bad - ok.

Top 30% is NOT a bad offense pal. If you want an Oregon offense, go root for Oregon. Ohio State won a national championship with an offense ranked #70 in total offense, and #41 in scoring offense. They had an amazing defense, but still, that's a below average offense, even though they had Maurice Clarett at tailback, as well as Michael Jenkins and Chris Gamble at WR.

In order for me to come back and pay my hard earned money to watch this program in Kinnick next year, I have to ask: What have you done for me lately? and furthermore, What will you do for me in the future?

That said, I hope the Hawks are able to muster up what is left of this season and come up with a bowl win. I will be rooting for them harder than ever. I just can't bring myself to do it from the stands though...

Oh, you'll be back. If you are a fan and have bought into Iowa football, especially Iowa City Style, you'll realize there will be good, bad, great and sometimes ugly - games and seasons. You can't appreciate the good ones until you've seen the other side (occasionally).

Oh, you'll be back. If you are a fan and have bought into Iowa football, especially Iowa City Style, you'll realize there will be good, bad, great and sometimes ugly - games and seasons. You can't appreciate the good ones until you've seen the other side (occasionally).

Oh for sure I will be back and my allegiance to the Hawkeyes has never nor will ever dwindle no matter how good or bad Iowa plays. I LOVE MY HAWKEYES. Furthermore, Iowa City is by far my favorite place in which I have ever lived and the tailgating is among the BEST in the country (God I could really go for a Big *** Turkey Leg, but I digress). In order for me to find it worth my while to take my money and time to come up to Iowa strictly for a game, I gotta FEEL it from this team. The same way I felt the Kinnick magic in 02, 03, 04, 08, and 09 and most recently at the beginning of this season. Not saying I didn't back the Hawks in the down years. Hell, I was probably one of the few defending Ferentz after the 2007 on and off the field debacles. But like I said in my previous post, I don't make a lot of mulah. So when a promising season unfolded the way it did this year, yeah, I feel gypped that I spent too much money when that money could have probably gone to something else....like a new guitar...I sure could use a new Les Paul....with a tiger hawk on it. :D

Top 30% is NOT a bad offense pal. If you want an Oregon offense, go root for Oregon. Ohio State won a national championship with an offense ranked #70 in total offense, and #41 in scoring offense. They had an amazing defense, but still, that's a below average offense, even though they had Maurice Clarett at tailback, as well as Michael Jenkins and Chris Gamble at WR.

When that is as good as it ever gets that is hardly encouraging. And no one is asking for Oregon's offense. Wisconsin runs the same style of Offense and has yet found a way to be PRODUCTIVE. Imagine that.

When that is as good as it ever gets that is hardly encouraging. And no one is asking for Oregon's offense. Wisconsin runs the same style of Offense and has yet found a way to be PRODUCTIVE. Imagine that.

I agree we need to be more productive consistently. I was just countering your comment stating that we haven't had a good offense since 2002. 2005 was decent. Not great, but decent. Would have been better if Solomon had been more consistent and Hinkel hadn't gotten hurt.

....need to go away.

Look, I'm unhappy with how the season turned out and I think KF's coaching left something to be desired at times but let's get a perspective. Two years ago we won the Outback bowl, finished 9-4 and were #20 in the country. Last year we went 11-2, won the Orange Bowl and finished #7. Now, the cry-babies out there are all b*%$* and moaning about KF and the coaching staff to the point where we're about a 1/2 a season away from the same group calling for his head.

The luck was with us last year and it wasn't this year. It happens.

If we take his tenure at Iowa as a whole, he's done a fantastic job as our coach and we should be grateful to have him. I don't begrudge him making $3 million dollars (doesn't he give a lot to charities btw?), and I don't think any of us would turn that down were we in the same situation he is in.

I'll predict that if Ferentz is our coach in 2020 then we'll have had some successful years and some down ones. This is Iowa-we're going to rebuild and not reload every single year. We're not going to go 10-2 or better every year-we're going to lose some tough games and win some great games. That's football and that's life. Deal with it.

I agree with this. I've been a hawks fan since 82. (that is the first year I can actually remember actively watching them on TV). and have been able to experience some really good and really bad. However, as a fan I am free to experience frustration and re lease it through proper outlets. Outlets such as this blog and site! Bottom line is, I would have bet my house if someone would have waged a serious bet that this IOWA team would go 7-5. I would have thought "this person is handicapped or just crazy". but we did, so yeah, my expectations were high and I expected more. I feel like I lost my house. It happens. For all those that are trying to act like they don't care or hey, the hawks will win and lose blah blah blah, figure out how building programs and expectations go together.

Yes we can bash, yes we can ask WHY? Yes we can cite that other big 10 coaches have been quoted as basically saying Iowa is easy to prepare for because we are predictible. Yes we can thank it's strange some of the quotes Iowa staff and players have been quoted saying things like "those weren't our expectations, or we lost the will to win"

Bottom line, this team is better then their record, this was a year we realistically should have higher expectations. It hurts more when we don't hit them. But I am never going to stop dreaming of the day I see Iowa in the national BCS championship game or winning big 10 titles in consecitive years. Anyone else think differently or also don't have these thoughts of greatness?

Ok now that would be soooo sweet. Solid black with Tiger hawk and awesome gold pickups....very nice!

1957 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty, with gold hardware and the three pickups and gold "I" inlays on the fretboard.....mmmmmmmmm

Its not a "we are only Iowa" or "mediocre" attitude to acknowledge the disappointment and move on. Its sports. Sometimes you put together successful seasons, sometimes you don't. Further, its Div1 college football, which is competitive. USC is not good. Texas is not good. Florida is average. It happens. Get over it, they had a disappointing year. That's all it is.

USC, Texas, and Florida will be looking for new coaches should they have the same record next year as well............Iowa will not.

Please forgive me if I repeat something that's already been posted - I haven't read all the posts.

Let me question all Iowa fans: do you want your football program to get to the next level - challenging for the Big Ten title every year and occasionally challenging for the national title?

Are you "satisfied" with Iowa's program?

IMO there are clearly defined things that can be done to improve this program.

Please forgive me if I repeat something that's already been posted - I haven't read all the posts.

Let me question all Iowa fans: do you want your football program to get to the next level - challenging for the Big Ten title every year and occasionally challenging for the national title?-YES THIS WOULD BE NICE

Are you "satisfied" with Iowa's program?-ONLY PARTIALLY SATISFIED

IMO there are clearly defined things that can be done to improve this program.

As a point of reference, by your criteria Hayden Fry was successful in only 6 out of 20 seasons at Iowa. Kirk is way ahead of that pace. And I believe Fry only finished in the AP Top 10 once, while Kirk has done it 4 times.

There really are not that many teams that have "significantly more" successful (9 win) seasons than non-successful seasons. And some of the teams that meet that criteria have sold their souls to get to that level. I was extremely disappointed with this season. But there are plenty of fan bases (who are just as dedicated as Iowa fans) who would be thrilled to have had our level of success over the last decade.

HawkFan2679 is right, in Hayden's era we played only 11 games, where 8 wins would have been a success on my scale.

Latest posts