The "we" debate, in Olympic context

S

Scorpio79

In the past, we've discussed using first person possessive (we, us, etc) terms with regard to teh Hawkeyes and other sports teams. You all know to which side of this argument you fall.

How 'bout with teh Olympics? Does the average fat slob 'merrkan get to say "we" or "us" when discussing the USA Olympic team?

I say no. What do you say?

LOL there is hardly a debate here and they way Team USA is advertised, they want us to say we.

YAY FOR JINGOISTIC PATRIOTISM!!!

WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

*urp* fix me turkey pot pie that I can gobble while watching the decathlon

YAY FOR JINGOISTIC PATRIOTISM!!!

WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

*urp* fix me turkey pot pie that I can gobble while watching the decathlon

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIm_41OIOM]Rick Stanzi - "If You Don't Love It, Leave It !!!!!!! U.S.A. #1 !!!!!!!" - YouTube[/ame]

I wonder if Stanzi hired a shark tax lawyer to help him shelter and hide his fat KC Chiefs income from Uncle Sam? If he did, HE'S A REAL PATRIOT!!

In the past, we've discussed using first person possessive (we, us, etc) terms with regard to teh Hawkeyes and other sports teams. You all know to which side of this argument you fall.

How 'bout with teh Olympics? Does the average fat slob 'merrkan get to say "we" or "us" when discussing the USA Olympic team?

I say no. What do you say?

Use "we" of course, we are americans, we help pay for the team. WE help subsidize their high school and college sports teams and endeavors where they directly develop much of their talent.

Use "we" of course, we are americans, we help pay for the team. WE help subsidize their high school and college sports teams and endeavors where they directly develop much of their talent.

Might want to check your facts, '82. The USOC does not receive gov't funding.

The USA Olympic team uniforms were made in teh China.
WE'RE NO. 1! GO USA! PATRIOTIC FERVOR!!

Unless you're contributing personal money to the USOC, it ain't "we" and "us", y'all.
LeBron and Kobe ain't representing YOU, Joe Schmo. Wake up.

Been to the olympics several times. Great pride in the usa athletes. I'm from usa. Does that make a difference? Although, i think it depends on the reference of conversation, and with whom, as to which way is acceptable and when, because like a hawk fan I've used both.

Been to the olympics several times. Great pride in the usa athletes. I'm from usa. Does that make a difference? Although, i think it depends on the reference of conversation, and with whom, as to which way is acceptable and when, because like a hawk fan I've used both.

When you lived in CO, did you attend Rockies and Broncos games? Did that make you feel like you were part of the team, or in an ownership position?
Or were you merely a spectator who paid for the privilege of entry to the event?

Like I said scorp. The USOC pushes the team as a we thing. Since you are not an athlete either, I dont think you are the best judge of how this should be addressed. If they want to feel like a member of the US as a whole, then so be it.

Latest posts