the technical foul

The T on Basabe was absolute horsesh!t. The ref should have went over and separated them and warned them both or both teams. Now if he already had then fine but that was a nudge and didn't need to be slapped with an immediate T particularly at a crucial time in the game like that. Was it dumb and completely unnecessary by Basabe, of course. That was a Bo homer call and lucky it didn't cost us the game.

Wisconsin has to make up for their lack of athleticism by going over the back, pushing off, crying about every call that doesn't go their way, saying "and one" every time they go up for a layup, and trying to stop our fast break by throwing the ball away/to the ref after a made basket. I'm sure there is more, but the refs need to be watching for some of these things in Carver because it's getting old.

Yeah was that the most annoying thing ever or what.

I understand the T call, but we were getting harder forearms in our backs on every rebound and they were rarely called.

It is demoralizing watching games where Iowa has bigger opponents blocked out, but gets the forearms, or the hand on the shoulder preventing the Iowa guy with great position gets the shaft. The taller guys get so much more of a break.

I liked how the refs let the WI players delay the game for the first fifteen minutes. After every made basket a WI player would grab the ball and toss it to the ref or hold on to it for a couple seconds. Finally after Fran complained about it half a dozen times the Badgers got a warning. They show Bo and he's screaming about it. Also. did Valentine make one call against WI? I can't remember any.

The T was absolutely the correct call. Take your hawk blinders off if you think otherwise.

The T was absolutely the correct call. Take your hawk blinders off if you think otherwise.

There was nothing malicious about the "nudge" yet he T'd him up without hesitation. This isn't the NBA where a technical foul is basically meaningless. Not only do you get 2 shots but you get the ball back. The score went from 11 to 5 just like that. If you are going to call a T in the final minutes of a game you better make sure it is worthy of one. That wasn't by any stretch.

There was nothing malicious about the "nudge" yet he T'd him up without hesitation. This isn't the NBA where a technical foul is basically meaningless. Not only do you get 2 shots but you get the ball back. The score went from 11 to 5 just like that. If you are going to call a T in the final minutes of a game you better make sure it is worthy of one. That wasn't by any stretch.

It was unsportsmanlike and not in the course of play.

It was unsportsmanlike and not in the course of play.

You can call a T for a lot of things and you can let a lot of things go. It is subjective. When does a ref decide to give a coach a T? They are in his ear all game long. You can have the opinion that you thought it was a T and that is fine but to say that it was the correct call could vary from ref to ref I would imagine. My biggest problem with it was when it happened. If it had happened early in the game and he called it to get control of things whatever. I've seen stuff like that happen and they call everyone together and say that is it, no more. But we overcame it which was nice to see.

The tech was stupid and at the time, I thought it was going to cost us the game. As that kid made free throw after free throw I was having flashbacks to the UNI game.

I do think that it reflects upon Fran, and it doesn't bother me that much. It bothers me a little, because it's true that coaches who don't talk to refs...have players that don't talk to refs, and vice versa. I'd rather have a team and coach that don't communicate with officials like they're on an episode of Jerry Springer. But that's Fran's style and he does it well.

And i think the Technical Foul is a symbol for something larger that was happening in that game. Wisconsin is and will always be, a team of sharpshooting, high execution, clean-cut white boys. I'm not saying that Wisconsin doesn't have any tough players, because they always have huge doughy white guys with last names that sound like... they were born in Wisconsin (like Frank Kaminsky, Mike Bruesewitz, Keaton Nankivil) and I bet those guys are pretty tough dudes. But, they are not a physical team by nature, they are a jumpshooting team.

When I saw Basabe foul that guy hard right on his nose, get called for the foul, then shove him RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICIAL, I realized that Wisconsin didn't want to play that game. I'm not saying that the kid got intimidated, because he drained all of him free throws, and a great layup, but the shove sent a message. I don't want Basabe to do that again, I'd prefer him to not 'send messages' via technical foul. But for the first time in a while, Iowa was playing with a street-fight mentality and I liked it. I like the fact that Iowa got called for a wimpy Technical, the wisconsin player made it into a 6 point possession, and Iowa still held on for the convincing win. I thought they were going to collapse, but they hit some big shots, played nice Defense and won.

I didn't like that play from Basabe, I think it was selfish and immature. However, in the big picture of the game, it showed that Iowa wasn't scared. And why should they be? They should expect to win and they did.

I am concerned about the tech foul. The team is taking the personality of its coach for better and perhaps for the worse. If marble doesnt hit those big shots and iowa losses this game, what would the threads be about this am?

I like the fire but you cant win games by giving teams 6 point trips in the last frame

I like most here am thrilled for this win and am hoping this leads to a strong showing in league play

Discipline is as important as fire

If this game was a loss, fran would be getting killed here

Thank you devyn

Fran this team is following you well done niw tighten the reigns on yourself the team will follow too
TweeterHawk:

"Officials: Ed Corbett, Ted Valentine, Brian Dorsey

That's all you need to know about this technical. Now shut up and enjoy the fire and the win. There will be more with Fran, to be sure. __________________:

Exactly, Tweeter.....

Technical did not need to be called.....

Blame Valentine and Cincinnati/Xavier for the call. Not every college team is comprised of thugs. I have no problem at all with Fran's coaching style. After Lick holding his head in his hands moaning in misery, I will take Fran and his style of discipline and obvious love for his players.....

Observe this and quietly go away......

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=349053605109194

Last edited:
Hated to see the Tech.... but glad to see the emotion of we are not going to continue to be your punching bag. We are developing a 'tough' mindset which is very much needed in order to change the mindset of the program and league about us.

I do like several elements of the response to the tech;;;

# 1 We did not fold up our tents

# 2 Basabee realized his mistake immediately - did not argue/pout making it worse

# 3 Fran did not read him the riot act (coach does a good job of knowing when to scold and when to back-off). I felt like an over-reaction by Fran could have forced the kids to lose their compsure.

Really impressive game/win considering....
- We lost an early lead
- We got down by 8 after the start of the second half
- We lost 6 points via the Basabee foul/technical
- Gatens loses the ball in the 2 foul situation
Very nice post, I like point number 3. Fran handled it well. Looked like he said something like, Good Foul, to Mel on the sideline.....

It was a good foul.....

Mel realized his mistake immediately. The infraction was decidedly minor and could have given the refs what they seemed to want, that is, a Badger victory.....

:D

Last edited:
Okay, here is the question of the day:

Can Melsahn do anything one way or the other and not get ripped?

I was cursing him when it happened, yeah, but he realized the mistake he made instantly. It came at the worst time when Iowa had total control of the game.

Here is the thing, Mel had his fourth foul after that happened, did anyone see how hard he played from that point to end the game. He stepped up on the block and in rebounding. Go back and watch his relentlessness down the stretch, not to say he wasn't the whole game. Just look at the last play when he blocked out two Wisconsin guys to end the game.

Yeah, it really was an ignorant play because that type of call is going to go against you 99 out of 100 times on the road.

The fact is, Iowa came back and didn't fold, this is a direct reflection of Fran, so I love the fact that the team is taking his personality. Also, it isn't like this is something that happens frequently, so until a pattern develops, let it go.

There was and adverse situation in a hostile environment and the Iowa team showed its Character.
Positively excellent, Sportstalent.....

:)

I was ok with the tech call. I was mad about that call made by an out of position Valentine on the Brust air-ball, as Jackson mentioned how no contact was made by Bryce,but Valentine,blocked out, ran over and made a call on what he thought happened,while the ref right there did not.

Why did Wisky get the ball back out of bounds after technical? I thought they just get the shots ,not the ball also.