the technical foul

That sequence to me was a sign of maturity by this team. Like a previous poster said, they could have folded there tents, Fran could have went off on MB thus leaving him pouting and useless the rest of the way. Instead, the team responded after the six point play and DM made two GREAT shots to seal it. Fran is the real deal folks, and even if it was only one game, we are starting to see the fruits of his labor. These kids would run through a brick wall for him, and now that the catalyst Bryce seems healthy, I look for them to compete in a lot of B10 games. Gonna be a fun ride!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing, I am truly impressed with Devyn Marble. He puts on 10 more pounds of muscle and develops his three point shot like i think he will, he will be a force. With his length and handle and ability to get to the rim, if defenders have to tighten up on him around the arc, he will bust ankles. Can't wait til this kid is a senior, or probably next year too!!! Things are looking up!!!!!

One more thing, I am truly impressed with Devyn Marble. He puts on 10 more pounds of muscle and develops his three point shot like i think he will, he will be a force. With his length and handle and ability to get to the rim, if defenders have to tighten up on him around the arc, he will bust ankles. Can't wait til this kid is a senior, or probably next year too!!! Things are looking up!!!!!

I agree. I don't think he'll ever be a good 3-ball shooter, but if he can get up to the 30% range (he's around 23% right now, IIRC), then he becomes a complete nightmare to match up with.

I am concerned about the tech foul. The team is taking the personality of its coach for better and perhaps for the worse. If marble doesnt hit those big shots and iowa losses this game, what would the threads be about this am?

I like the fire but you cant win games by giving teams 6 point trips in the last frame

I like most here am thrilled for this win and am hoping this leads to a strong showing in league play

Discipline is as important as fire

If this game was a loss, fran would be getting killed here

Thank you devyn

Fran this team is following you well done niw tighten the reigns on yourself the team will follow too
REALLY? REALLY? REALLY?

The ref had a quick whistle as far as I'm concerned and Basabe had no bad intentions at all.

Love that the team has the passion of their HC because that is what was missing the last decade.

I am concerned about the tech foul. The team is taking the personality of its coach for better and perhaps for the worse. If marble doesnt hit those big shots and iowa losses this game, what would the threads be about this am?

I like the fire but you cant win games by giving teams 6 point trips in the last frame

I like most here am thrilled for this win and am hoping this leads to a strong showing in league play

Thank you devyn

Fran this team is following you well done niw tighten the reigns on yourself the team will follow too
You might have sealed up "Dumbest post of the Year" on the first day. Congrats.

I am concerned about the tech foul.

I agree with some of your post. I have left the stuff I agree with.

Basabe is a player who tends to feed off both positive and negative things. He needs to learn to not dwell on the negative as much as he does. As he matures I hope he learns to play through things a lot better than he currently does.

He often gets frustrated when he does not get the ball in the post when he feels he should be getting the ball. This often leads to him forcing things the next offensive possession or making a dumb foul.

You absolutely need to be disciplined to win big games in March and in hostile environments. I am just glad Mel was the only player who had lapse in judgement and it did not lead to a 13-2 type run Wisconsin can put on teams when things start to fall apart.

Mel is a sophomore now and I want to see him start to play a little more smart the entire game.

Mel went for the block and did a good job of making sure there was not going to be an and 1 opportunity. I think Mel fouled the player. As the Wisconsin player was coming down he kind of was throwing his arms around and pushed Mel a tad (it was nothing terrible) then Mel took a step or two toward the Wisconsin player saying something (that was half the problem) and proceeded to give him a nudge to the chest with his forearm (this plus the talking got the tech).

Mel just needs to be real careful in that situation. It was a complete brain cramp and he is lucky it did not cost Iowa the game. I am OK with physical errors costing teams but it is unacceptable for a mental error to cost you a game. I could give freshmen a bit of a break maybe but not sophomores, juniors or seniors.

I can see why the technical was called, and it did come at a bad time, but it really was not that big of deal. I like the fact the team is taking on the personality of their coach. In contrast, the Iowa football team takes on the laid back, no passion personality of their coach and I think it affects their play.

The on thing that I could not stand in yesterday's game was nearly every time a Wisky player drove to the basket he yelled out "and one" if there was contact. I didn't matter whether a foul was called or not, or if they made the basket or not. Quite annoying.

I can see why the technical was called, and it did come at a bad time, but it really was not that big of deal. I like the fact the team is taking on the personality of their coach. In contrast, the Iowa football team takes on the laid back, no passion personality of their coach and I think it affects their play.

The on thing that I could not stand in yesterday's game was nearly every time a Wisky player drove to the basket he yelled out "and one" if there was contact. I didn't matter whether a foul was called or not, or if they made the basket or not. Quite annoying.
I noticed that too. Rediculous. Weasel Bo needs to shut them up.

Basabe plays with emotion and he needs to to excel in his style of play. The risk is, playing as an emotional player, you have a chance to pick up T's. You'd like him to play more disciplined and that technical was horrible but it happens.

Basabe plays with emotion and he needs to to excel in his style of play. The risk is, playing as an emotional player, you have a chance to pick up T's. You'd like him to play more disciplined and that technical was horrible but it happens.
I think the T was probably for the language, cuz the little pushing by both players happens alot and most refs just seperate them. Who really knows, JMO.

I am concerned about the tech foul. The team is taking the personality of its coach for better and perhaps for the worse. If marble doesnt hit those big shots and iowa losses this game, what would the threads be about this am?I like the fire but you cant win games by giving teams 6 point trips in the last frameI like most here am thrilled for this win and am hoping this leads to a strong showing in league playDiscipline is as important as fire If this game was a loss, fran would be getting killed hereThank you devyn Fran this team is following you well done niw tighten the reigns on yourself the team will follow too
Officials: Ed Corbett, Ted Valentine, Brian Dorsey That's all you need to know about this technical. Now shut up and enjoy the fire and the win. There will be more with Fran, to be sure.

Ted wasn't the official who called the t

As a an official I liked both calls. You can let some body go on a block down low provided the defending player more or less in his vertical plane. What you can't let go is the downward swing of the arm on the follow through. Any time a defender makes that much of a downward strike with his arm, especially toward a players head its an almost automatic foul.

I like the T as well, mel clearly gave the kid a forearm. It wasn't exactly a devastating blow but it was pretty clear. The problem in letting that go is it frequently leads to a retaliatory strike and then you end up sticking the guy retaliation and the instigator walks. The last thing you want at the end of a tight game, especially one that was extremely physical is for players to start taking things into their own hands because they don't feel the officials will protect them. Then someone makes a mistake that makes them sit out a few games all because the officials didn't nip it in the bud.

All it was is Mel playing with a lot of emotion and forgot to turn it off. You could see right away that he knew he screwed up. If he was out of control then the T would have set him off even more, and he would have needed to come out.

But it didnt and HAWKS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, here is the question of the day:

Can Melsahn do anything one way or the other and not get ripped?

I was cursing him when it happened, yeah, but he realized the mistake he made instantly. It came at the worst time when Iowa had total control of the game.

Here is the thing, Mel had his fourth foul after that happened, did anyone see how hard he played from that point to end the game. He stepped up on the block and in rebounding. Go back and watch his relentlessness down the stretch, not to say he wasn't the whole game. Just look at the last play when he blocked out two Wisconsin guys to end the game.

Yeah, it really was an ignorant play because that type of call is going to go against you 99 out of 100 times on the road.

The fact is, Iowa came back and didn't fold, this is a direct reflection of Fran, so I love the fact that the team is taking his personality. Also, it isn't like this is something that happens frequently, so until a pattern develops, let it go.

There was and adverse situation in a hostile environment and the Iowa team showed its Character.

Okay, here is the question of the day:

Can Melsahn do anything one way or the other and not get ripped?

I was cursing him when it happened, yeah, but he realized the mistake he made instantly. It came at the worst time when Iowa had total control of the game.

Here is the thing, Mel had his fourth foul after that happened, did anyone see how hard he played from that point to end the game. He stepped up on the block and in rebounding. Go back and watch his relentlessness down the stretch, not to say he wasn't the whole game. Just look at the last play when he blocked out two Wisconsin guys to end the game.

Yeah, it really was an ignorant play because that type of call is going to go against you 99 out of 100 times on the road.

The fact is, Iowa came back and didn't fold, this is a direct reflection of Fran, so I love the fact that the team is taking his personality. Also, it isn't like this is something that happens frequently, so until a pattern develops, let it go.

There was and adverse situation in a hostile environment and the Iowa team showed its Character.
Dead on. Great post.

Thank you devyn

Get a grip.

I understand the T call, but we were getting harder forearms in our backs on every rebound and they were rarely called.

Wisconsin has to make up for their lack of athleticism by going over the back, pushing off, crying about every call that doesn't go their way, saying "and one" every time they go up for a layup, and trying to stop our fast break by throwing the ball away/to the ref after a made basket. I'm sure there is more, but the refs need to be watching for some of these things in Carver because it's getting old.