The “talent” question

His form on shooting outside is much better than DJ Carton's. Carton shoots off his shoulder along side his head.
That's most likely due to his right eye being his "aiming" eye. As long as he's not shooting a knuckle ball, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have never really paid any attention to how he shoots, so I have no point of perspective in defending him. I'm just pointing out that it might be out of necessity.

Weird...when I first looked at the still image on the video with Bonzi Colson of Notre Dame on it...I never saw the basketball player. I had to look real close to see him...it was like one of those pictures you stare at and suddenly it comes into focus. I was looking very closely at the background.

This^. Exactly right. A mid major gets to the NCAA tournament about as often as we do, over the last 18 years.
Unfortunately in the last 15 yrs....

Iowa State Cyclones
7 NCAA appearances since 2004, 8 wins

UNI Panthers
7 NCAA appearances since 2004, 4 wins

Iowa Hawkeyes
5 NCAA appearances since 2004, 2 wins

His struggles are because he's undersized for what he is. Therefore the D2 rating. I do think he has decent skill set. Just too little and that won'd change. Hustle? He's great at that. There are some really good D2 players.
Still think Pemsl is a D2 Player? Averaging 10 points and shooting above 80% in the B1G over the last 5 games.

10/7 on 4/4 shooting tonight against the best shot blocking team in the country tonight.

Still think Pemsl is a D2 Player? Averaging 10 points and shooting above 80% in the B1G over the last 5 games.

10/7 on 4/4 shooting tonight against the best shot blocking team in the country tonight.

Well ...yes. for now. Augustana beat Iowa. Dc2 plays some great ball. As I said I kike the kid. ND is also struggling. 2 of those games you can throw out. The 3 your don't throw out, Iowa has given up 278 points. D is a part.of the equation.

Great game. Nice game by Pem on the O, but there were a lot of transitions. 7 Rebounds was nice.

Last edited:
When 75% of the current and future roster is a bunch of unathletic white dudes...the odds of all of a sudden becoming athletic is kind of a pipe dream...

White people are making a comeback. The generations of selective breading have been fading for generations now. I probably won't be around to see it, but eventually the NBA and NFL will look more 50/50.

89 points scored last night by freshman and sophomores against one of the better defensive teams in the country. Offensive talent is certainly there it is the defensive talent we are still looking for.

89 points scored last night by freshman and sophomores against one of the better defensive teams in the country. Offensive talent is certainly there it is the defensive talent we are still looking for.
That offensive output was an aberration....not part of the norm. If we need a team to play like that offensively to win games, we ain't gonna win many games....

That offensive output was an aberration....not part of the norm. If we need a team to play like that offensively to win games, we ain't gonna win many games....
Iowa is currently ranked 30th in offensive efficiency. They won’t lose anyone of value next year. If they improve they can be a top 25 offensive team with the addition of Weiskamp.

The question as always will be how much can they improve their defense.

When Iowa loses its always a coaching and talent issue. When Iowa wins its always the coaching and talent. They are pretty young this year, and they will be better next year. Its to bad they had all the injuries at the start of the year, and then the injury to Bohannon. There isn't anything wrong with Iowa that time and staying healthy won't heal.

That’s just it maybe Iowa does. Become so efficient on offense where it doesn’t matter how many points you are giving up if you can match it. Get out into transition, shots early in the shot clock, getting as many possessions as possible, outscore people. Imo, I think that is what Fran truly wants to be, so good on the offensive end he doesn’t need to emphasis defense.

That’s just it maybe Iowa does. Become so efficient on offense where it doesn’t matter how many points you are giving up if you can match it. Get out into transition, shots early in the shot clock, getting as many possessions as possible, outscore people. Imo, I think that is what Fran truly wants to be, so good on the offensive end he doesn’t need to emphasis defense.
If that’s true Fran really deserves to be shown the door because that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Duke is superior at every position than us offensively this year and even they’ve found out you need to play defense in order to win. Iowa isn’t anywhere near Duke so they better learn to play some D.

If that’s true Fran really deserves to be shown the door because that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Duke is superior at every position than us offensively this year and even they’ve found out you need to play defense in order to win. Iowa isn’t anywhere near Duke so they better learn to play some D.
I think TRJ is right and that's exactly what Fran is trying to accomplish. His own words in his own press conferences should be proof enough.

Think Iowa St. under Hoiberg, they were at the bottom of the conference in scoring defense and Hoiberg never really cared. Why? Because he knew that they could match points with anybody. Not an apples to apples comparison because the Iowa D has been so bad the last 2 years, but I would bet his philosophy is somewhere in that ballpark. Sorta the Chip Kelly version basketball style, getting as many possessions(opportunities) as possible.

I could be waaay off base with this, but that is what it looks like to me from a distance.

Latest posts