The “talent” question

NikeHawk21

We often hear during Iowa broadcasts that Iowa has the talent. I brought this up in another thread but do we actually feel that is true?

We know this season is a lost but below I looked at what kind of talent we have going into next year compared to other B1G players. (Star - 1st Team, All conference, Starter, Role Player, Scrub)

Cook - All conference (not a star until defense appears)

Garza - Starter (he’s probably average to below average starting Center in the league next year)

Bohannon - Starter? (He would start on a few B1G teams but not many)

Baer - Starter? / Role Player

Weiskamp - Top 50 recruit, could be Starter level but more likely Role player as a freshman

Nunge - Role Player (chance to develop into Starter type)

Pemsl - Role Player

Moss - Role Player?

Dailey - Role Player / Scrub

Kriener - Role Player / Scrub

Wagner - Role Player / Scrub

Cmac - ???

Again these are just my opinions of where these guys rank compared to other B1G players. To me we have an All-Conference guy, a few fringe starter types, and then a bunch of role players. Not exactly loaded with talent in my estimation. What do you think?

Cook is the only player that would start on a Tournament team in my opinion so that answers your question on how much talent this team has.

200.webp

Iowa has guys that can score the ball, so maybe the scoring numbers are what impress some on the outside, unfortunately almost all of our guys are below average defensively.

Been saying this in several threads. Your top 5 are the only legit BIG TEN players we have on our team. And several of them are more bench/role players. Nunge could turn in to one but jury is still out. The best are MAC level talent at best, just not BIG TEN players which isn't a knock on them just where they are. I don't see most of them improving enough next year to be BIG TEN players either. Hard to compete when half or more of your roster should be playing at a mid-major or lower.

We often hear during Iowa broadcasts that Iowa has the talent. I brought this up in another thread but do we actually feel that is true?

We know this season is a lost but below I looked at what kind of talent we have going into next year compared to other B1G players. (Star - 1st Team, All conference, Starter, Role Player, Scrub)

Cook - All conference (not a star until defense appears) Not as is currently. With another coach of course.

Garza - Starter (he’s probably average to below average starting Center in the league next year) Sorry, but NO. He gets blocked and no strength. Is a good project, if he can get better hops. Lower Big in a few years maybe. Most are going shorter with strength and hops. Woody Light with more coordination.

Bohannon - Starter? (He would start on a few B1G teams but not many) Role player for many. Starter as a senior for many.

Baer - Starter? / Role Player Wouldn't play much except for those we are fighting for a seed with.

Weiskamp - Top 50 recruit, could be Starter level but more likely Role player as a freshman possibliities. Where are the offers?

Nunge - Role Player (chance to develop into Starter type) Not a role player. Possibilities. Not playing for several years at all.

Pemsl - Role Player D2

Moss - Role Player? Mid Major

Dailey - Role Player / Scrub Low Mid Major

Kriener - Role Player / Scrub D2

Wagner - Role Player / Scrub D2

Cmac - ??? Low Mid major maybe.

Again these are just my opinions of where these guys rank compared to other B1G players. To me we have an All-Conference guy, a few fringe starter types, and then a bunch of role players. Not exactly loaded with talent in my estimation. What do you think?

Cook - All conference (not a star until defense appears) Not as is currently. With another coach of course.

Garza - Starter (he’s probably average to below average starting Center in the league next year) Sorry, but NO. He gets blocked and no strength. Is a good project, if he can get better hops. Lower Big in a few years maybe. Most are going shorter with strength and hops. Woody Light with more coordination. J Lick hustled too.

Bohannon - Starter? (He would start on a few B1G teams but not many)Role player for many. Starter as a senior for many.

Baer - Starter? / Role Player Wouldn't play much except for those we are fighting for a seed with.

Weiskamp - Top 50 recruit, could be Starter level but more likely Role player as a freshman possibliities. Where are the offers?

Nunge - Role Player (chance to develop into Starter type) Not a role player. Possibilities. Not playing for several years at all.

Pemsl - Role Player D2

Cmac - ??? Low Mid major maybe. Should do more like Tim Finke did....Grand Canyon State. Finke is far better.

Garza - Starter (he’s probably average to below average starting Center in the league next year) Sorry, but NO. He gets blocked and no strength. Is a good project, if he can get better hops. Lower Big in a few years maybe. Most are going shorter with strength and hops. Woody Light with more coordination. J Lick hustled too.

Bohannon - Starter? (He would start on a few B1G teams but not many)Role player for many. Starter as a senior for many.

Pemsl - Role Player D2

Cmac - ??? Low Mid major maybe. Should do more like Tim Finke did....Grand Canyon State. Finke is far better.

I know a guy from Clinton, Ia who disagrees with your assessment.

Pemsl - Role Player D2

Joe committed early. If he opened up his recruitment, he'd have offers coming out of his ears. Trust me on this.

Flame away, but Wieskamp is way, way overblown. You guys who are paying attention to recruiting rankings are the same ones who pay attention to Mel Kiper. And please don’t bring up watching his film. He’s ringing up ridiculous stats because he’s playing high school juniors and seniors, of which probably 99.9% won’t even play community college ball, and his teammates do nothing but feed him all game long. There have to be 20 assists per game to Wieskamp. Big fish, small pond.

He’s supposedly ranked 50th in the country, but go take a look at the rest of the top 50. Just about all of those kids have 15, 20, 25 offers from top P5 schools. Wieskamp has 6 including Iowa, from ISU, UNI, Creighton, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Not exactly tip top schools.

Trust me, college scouts and coaches know a hell of a lot more about what to look for in a recruit than a bunch of chumps at Rivals and 24/7. And don’t give me the crap about him not getting offers because he’s so hard core Iowa. That’s a load of manure; there are plenty of kids with 30 some offers who are committed already.

Last edited:
I would guess that but does that close it?
How do you think the recruiting sites find out who has offers and who doesn't? They get that info from the coaches or the players. The coaches don't have much time to give lists to recruiting services, so, they typically get them from the recruits. I don't know JW personally but I could probably make a couple of phone calls and get an idea what offer lists he has at home. But it would be a waste of time. I can tell you with 99% certainty that he has over 30 high D-1 offers in his mail pile.

Pemsl - Role Player D2

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think you’re being a little harsh on certain guys but overall the point remains that after our first few the rest of the players just aren’t talented enough.

How do you think the recruiting sites find out who has offers and who doesn't? They get that info from the coaches or the players. The coaches don't have much time to give lists to recruiting services, so, they typically get them from the recruits. I don't know JW personally but I could probably make a couple of phone calls and get an idea what offer lists he has at home. But it would be a waste of time. I can tell you with 99% certainty that he has over 30 high D-1 offers in his mail pile.
Exactly. I love it when people think they can hop on Rivals.com and have an exact certainty of who has offers where. Those sites try but they have no real way of knowing what was communicated between coaches and players.

Not to mention Joe was one of the first players in his class to commit. He attends Iowa practices and games quite frequently. Coaches are smarter than to waste their time on a guy who is firmly committed like that.

Iowa has a few decent pieces but I believe some folks have black & gold goggles on when looking at our team's overall talent level.. Enough to maybe get into the dance as maybe a 7 seed or something, when these guys become upperclassmen, but not enough to be much more than that. I'd be shocked if this current roster ever becomes anything resembling a Big 10 title contender or one that can realistically make a deep NCAA run.

Our talent level a few years ago with White, Marble, Uthoff, Jok, etc, was much better IMO. As has been discussed, the epic fail that was the 2014-15 recruiting classes is coming home to roost.

I hear so much about all the great talent coming in (the homers among us ALWAYS say that though, even when Lick was our coach), but until we see how these guys look at the college level, it's just too hard to gauge how it'll look 2+ years from now.

Latest posts