The Second Coming of Chuck Long...

BlindDogScooter

That's right... I said it.

Jake is going to rank among the best who ever played
at Iowa assuming an injury free career.

I like everything I see about him so far... everything.

Agree or disagree?

1366231258195.jpg

Even though Rudock emits a good vibe, it's a little too soon make such a call. I will be satisfied if JR stays capable of maintaining cool under pressure and ends-up an above-average B1G QB.

I offer Tate Forcier as a cautionary example. If you watched Forcier the first few times at Michigan, it would've seemed that Montana was reborn whilst still living.

He has better mechanics and mobility than Long. But so did lots of QBs that didn't accomplish a fraction of what Chuck did.

Too early to tell but Jake is off to a strong start.

Ok, I'll be "that guy" who comes in and says, let's not heap too many unrealistic on the kid too soon. But I have to say that I think Rudock has looked pretty darned good considering this year is his first game experience at this level.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to make 2004 Drew Tate comparisons, though..

Let's see how he plays against a few B1G defenses first. I like Rudock - he has had a real soild start to his career. I like that he steps up in the pocket .... haven't seen that in an Iowa QB since Drew Tate. There were several throws he has made that Stanzi or JVB would not have made because they would have been lying on the Kinnick turf.

Last edited:
Whoa. Easy now. I like what he's doing though. Wish he would pull the ball more on that zone read. Beathard did pretty well with it.

Wellllll, let's just see how it plays out
old-people-rocking-chairs.jpg

Grandma sez, Its Iowauh, not Ioway.
We say it now and then but we don't
like it when other people do.

So you don't want people to be unrealistic, yet you compare the kid to a guy that won MVP in the Big Ten and led his team to a conference championship in his first year as a starter. Got it.

Comparing Rudock to what Tate did through his first four games is hardly unreasonable.

Take a chill pill.

He kinda reminds me of Ken Dorsey who played for Miami. Both of them are real cerebral QB's who manage the game well. Both surprise you occasionally by putting some zip on the ball. Both are kinda scrawny, but tougher than they look. I'd say Rudock is more athletic than Dorsey however. I just hope he can lead Iowa to wins the way Dorsey did for the U.

It depends in what ways your trying to compare them. If your thinking he's going to have the on field type of success via wins/stats as Long there's zero chance of that happening. Doesn't mean he won't be good and have a good career. Or are you comparing their style? I think Iowas style of play won't be gun slinger enough for that comparison to work either. Iowa wants to be close to 60% run if they can. And alot of the pass plays they do run are of the conservative intermediate nature. I love what Rudock has shown so far. I think if he can get another WR or two to step up with KMM cause KMM is the perfect possession receiver and they clearly have a good report then he can start putting some serious numbers up. I'd really like to see Powell in the slot and used as a Welker type. Get the guy the ball. I'd like to see him go deep more too but talk about an easy way to pickup 5-7 yds in the passing game that they aren't taking advantage of yet. I think Iowas best WR lineup is KMM Hillyer with Powell in the slot. If those guys can all get on the same page Rudock could do some damage not just next year but the rest of this one.

I like what I've seen of Jake so far. I also like what I've seen of C.J., this kid has the moxie and talent to be something special. I'm not ready to compare Jake to anybody until he's gone through the Big 10 schedule this year. He's performed well against a fairly weak schedule. Big 10 defenses have a way of humbling players especially if they get a big head. Now I don't think any of our players are getting all up on themselves but let's wait at least until Jake has stared down the Ohio State defense before making comparisons.

That's right... I said it.

Jake is going to rank among the best who ever played
at Iowa assuming an injury free career.

I like everything I see about him so far... everything.

Agree or disagree?
i watched CL in person every one of his starts. They aren't even the same type of qb. Long was no runner but every single time he dropped back to pass everyone knew it was going to be a completion for 15-20 yards. It was a given. Long tossed for 455 yards in a bowl game. He would have easily won the heisman if it weren't for the once in a lifetime dual sport Bo Jackson who played both in the major leagues and in the NFL. Jack has a ways to go. Long is a legend.

i watched CL in person every one of his starts. They aren't even the same type of qb. Long was no runner but every single time he dropped back to pass everyone knew it was going to be a completion for 15-20 yards. It was a given. Long tossed for 455 yards in a bowl game. He would have easily won the heisman if it weren't for the once in a lifetime dual sport Bo Jackson who played both in the major leagues and in the NFL. Jack has a ways to go. Long is a legend.

Bo wasn't a two-sport "star" when he won the Heisman, and it hardly figured into the voting.

Chuck COULD tuck it, and on occasion, he did. He had an exceptionally quick release, and some definite beef on his OL. His backs, through his career, featured Eddie Phillips, Owen Gill, Ronnie Harmon, David Hudson, Norm Granger, et. al. He had no game-breaker deep threat on a consistent basis, but Early, Robert Smith and someone else occasionally made a game-breaking play.

Similarly, Rudock can tuck it and, on occasion, has done so. He has decent release, some decent beef on the OL, and his backs are certainly showing themselves to be capable, although his FBs are just glorified TEs, whereas Hudson and Granger were good ball-carriers and pass-catchers out of the backfield. Game-breaking receiver-but-not-yet-consistently-doing-it? Check. Good possession receiver who can make the occasional big play? Check.

Biggest difference is that Long had GREAT TEs who were good for a couple big plays a game. The potential is there now, but it hasn't manifested yet.

Biggest similarity is that both had KF as a coach in some capacity.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Rudock hasn’t really been asked to stretch the field vertically, and is doing a lot of high percentage throws to augment the running game. He has done pretty well with his decision making and game management so far. The coaching staff probably did ask too much from the passing game against Northern Illinois though, passing on running downs killed a number of drives.

I hope they don’t get super conservative about letting Rudock run. At this point he needs to run the ball a half dozen times a game to keep the defense honest.

Latest posts