The Second Coming of Chuck Long...

Bo wasn't a two-sport "star" when he won the Heisman, and it hardly figured into the voting.

Chuck COULD tuck it, and on occasion, he did. He had an exceptionally quick release, and some definite beef on his OL. His backs, through his career, featured Eddie Phillips, Owen Gill, Ronnie Harmon, David Hudson, Norm Granger, et. al. He had no game-breaker deep threat on a consistent basis, but Early, Robert Smith and someone else occasionally made a game-breaking play.

Similarly, Rudock can tuck it and, on occasion, has done so. He has decent release, some decent beef on the OL, and his backs are certainly showing themselves to be capable, although his FBs are just glorified TEs, whereas Hudson and Granger were good ball-carriers and pass-catchers out of the backfield. Game-breaking receiver-but-not-yet-consistently-doing-it? Check. Good possession receiver who can make the occasional big play? Check.

Biggest difference is that Long had GREAT TEs who were good for a couple big plays a game. The potential is there now, but it hasn't manifested yet.

Biggest similarity is that both had KF as a coach in some capacity.

Have to correct you on Bo Jackson. He was as much of a legend in baseball as he was football in college. He's pretty much the only guy that was bigger then his hype. And he had alot of it. He lost either all of or most of his SR yr of baseball eligibility due to a shady deal with the football draft. He accepted a plane ride visit to Tampa and the NCAA stripped him of it. Bo says the Tampa people checked with NCAA first and either never did or lied to him about what they said cause he was worried about it before even going. He held a grudge against them the rest of his career. Told them not to draft him cause he'd never play for them after making him lose his sr yr of baseball.

Have to correct you on Bo Jackson. He was as much of a legend in baseball as he was football in college. He's pretty much the only guy that was bigger then his hype. And he had alot of it. He lost either all of or most of his SR yr of baseball eligibility due to a shady deal with the football draft. He accepted a plane ride visit to Tampa and the NCAA stripped him of it. Bo says the Tampa people checked with NCAA first and either never did or lied to him about what they said cause he was worried about it before even going. He held a grudge against them the rest of his career. Told them not to draft him cause he'd never play for them after making him lose his sr yr of baseball.

Sure, he played baseball, but not the two seasons before he won the Heisman. At that time, he was attempting to make the US Olympic team in Track & Field. He almost lost his junior season due to potential tetanus because of cinder burn (seriously).

That's right... I said it.

Jake is going to rank among the best who ever played
at Iowa assuming an injury free career.

I like everything I see about him so far... everything.

Agree or disagree?

It is hard not to like JR at this point based on 4 games nor is it hard to want to compare him to Chuck Long.

However, each of them have one thing that can't be compared to each other.

Chuck Long had Hayden exotic play Fry as a head coach. I miss those days.

JR has Kirk let's not do anything to fancy Ferentz as his head coach. That's not a bash on KF, just what we've seen over his years as head coach.

Sure, he played baseball, but not the two seasons before he won the Heisman. At that time, he was attempting to make the US Olympic team in Track & Field. He almost lost his junior season due to potential tetanus because of cinder burn (seriously).

Yes he did play baseball for 2 years before winning the Heisman. He played the same season after he won the heisman too. Everyone knew who he was after the 83 season in the baseball world. He had gotten hurt and missed the 84 season. Witch is why he could have played another year of baseball after his SR yr of football that he got suspended for due to the Tampa fiasco.

YEARGABRH2B3BHRRBISBCSBBSOBAOBPSLGOPS
1984Injured

It is hard not to like JR at this point based on 4 games nor is it hard to want to compare him to Chuck Long.

However, each of them have one thing that can't be compared to each other.

Chuck Long had Hayden exotic play Fry as a head coach. I miss those days.

JR has Kirk let's not do anything to fancy Ferentz as his head coach. That's not a bash on KF, just what we've seen over his years as head coach.

But that flea flicker worked pretty well this year.

And KOK loved him some double-reverses. Which almost never worked, and often went for a loss.

Hayden didn't run exotics nearly as often as people think they remember. But his timing was beautiful. Chuck Long naked boot to the endzone, touchdown Iowa!!!

And KOK loved him some double-reverses. Which almost never worked, and often went for a loss.

Hayden didn't run exotics nearly as often as people think they remember. But his timing was beautiful.
Chuck Long naked boot to the endzone, touchdown Iowa!!!

Yep. Perception is reality. Hayden has other teams thinking he might run an exotic...and that's what mattered. Keeping them off-balance. KFz, on the other hand, is so predictable that he doesn't have that advantage. (which many opponents have said openly). Nor does he seem to think it's important.

I don't think Kirk has ever run a double-reverse. End arounds, and the occasional reverse.

Kirk is so predictable that he ALWAYS runs on 3rd and 1, just like the fans want him to.

I don't think Kirk has ever run a double-reverse. End arounds, and the occasional reverse.

Kirk is so predictable that he ALWAYS runs on 3rd and 1, just like the fans want him to.

You may be right, I should have said "reverses".

you are incorrect about the baseball. I remember during the Heisman lead up all the talk about him being a two sport star. If he hadn't played baseball...chuck would have won. It was one of the closest Heisman votes in history WITH the baseball talk.

Hayden didn't run exotics nearly as often as people think they remember. But his timing was beautiful.Chuck Long naked boot to the endzone, touchdown Iowa!!!

I was in the north endzone, the former student section don't ya know, during that play. Nobody in the place knew that was coming. Very ballsy call to be sure.

25 Years Ago – Heisman battle between Bo Jackson, Chuck Long and … Joe Dudek? | TheGazette

si-85.jpg

Yes he did play baseball for 2 years before winning the Heisman. He played the same season after he won the heisman too. Everyone knew who he was after the 83 season in the baseball world. He had gotten hurt and missed the 84 season. Witch is why he could have played another year of baseball after his SR yr of football that he got suspended for due to the Tampa fiasco.

YEARGABRH2B3BHRRBISBCSBBSOBAOBPSLGOPS
1984Injured

My bad, I thought it was 84 AND 85 he didn't play because of the cinder burn.

All I can say is: If I saw him play and didn't know anything about him before hand, I would think he is a Jr or Sr just because of his poise.

I think he has a very bright future. If I were on the depth chart behind him, I might be re-evaluating my options.

you are incorrect about the baseball. I remember during the Heisman lead up all the talk about him being a two sport star. If he hadn't played baseball...chuck would have won. It was one of the closest Heisman votes in history WITH the baseball talk.

Actually, the biggest "issue" was the fact Bo had missed time due to injury, i.e., missing a half, etc. Doug Flutie went so far as saying it would be a "travesty" if that's what voters based it on. I was ready to kill Flutie. Then, of course, after the announcement, Flutie said he voted for Long!

Latest posts