The Season Died at the Palestra

NikeHawk21

A season which showed so much promise ended in one of the most historic gyms in college basketball. Many folks said they were proud of Iowa’s effort in a game Iowa gave away. Wins come at such a premium in this league and that one is going to end up costing us big time. The cumulative effect of that one along with the Fredrick injury led to the loss tonight.

Fredrick is now in a boot so likely out for at least awhile, who really knows. Without Fredrick this team is exposed as Nebraska did tonight. Even if we get him back in a few weeks it’s too little too late as the end of year schedule is just too much.

Obviously a lot of this is out of our control but that collapse at the Palestra I think was the beginning of the end for our NCAA hopes. I think we get to 7-8 wins in the league and miss the dance.

The season died at the Palestra. Let’s hope it’s not our last year with Garza and / or Wieskamp in hawkeye jerseys.

A season which showed so much promise ended in one of the most historic gyms in college basketball. Many folks said they were proud of Iowa’s effort in a game Iowa gave away. Wins come at such a premium in this league and that one is going to end up costing us big time. The cumulative effect of that one along with the Fredrick injury led to the loss tonight.

Fredrick is now in a boot so likely out for at least awhile, who really knows. Without Fredrick this team is exposed as Nebraska did tonight. Even if we get him back in a few weeks it’s too little too late as the end of year schedule is just too much.

Obviously a lot of this is out of our control but that collapse at the Palestra I think was the beginning of the end for our NCAA hopes. I think we get to 7-8 wins in the league and miss the dance.

The season died at the Palestra. Let’s hope it’s not our last year with Garza and / or Wieskamp in hawkeye jerseys

Where they going? And please don’t say the NBA lol..

The only way to treat a stress reaction is to stay off your feet. Not only could Iowa lose CJ for awhile, a long layoff will equal not being in playing shape when/if he returns.

Would not surprise me if the money was right, Garza could bolt. He looks more ready then Tyler Cook could ever dream of being.

Where they going? And please don’t say the NBA lol..
I’m not playing that game. The NBA G league and overseas are littered with dudes who left school early and never sniffed or will never sniff the NBA. Ultimately it’s their decision but it’s not out of the question at all and they’d hardly be the first to leave school and not make the NBA.

Such a dumb and pointless take.

The season died at the Palestra. Let’s hope it’s not our last year with Garza and / or Wieskamp in hawkeye jerseys.
I agree with much of what you say, but if either Wieskamp or Garza go anywhere it’s a huge mistake.

I agree with much of what you say, but if either Wieskamp or Garza go anywhere it’s a huge mistake.
I’m regretting having that in there now becuase it’s not really the point of the thread but it’s everyone’s favorite topic apparently.

I’m not playing that game. The NBA G league and overseas are littered with dudes who left school early and never sniffed or will never sniff the NBA. Ultimately it’s their decision but it’s not out of the question at all and they’d hardly be the first to leave school and not make the NBA.

Such a dumb and pointless take.

Many people just don't understand this. Guys want to take their shot and get a professional career going. Its been decades since its been NBA or bust.

And the better overseas leagues are flat out better than college basketball. If you're trying to make the NBA, putting in time against better competition helps. Every NBA teams has foreign scouts all over the globe.

Afraid this is spot on.
CJF was the injury that may have broken our back.

Only hope is CMAC, JT and BE live at the three line during and after practice learning HOW to shoot a basketball.
Jesus.
These guys shoot everyday, it’s about confidence and they don’t have it right now outside of Connor knocking down a few.

We needed Evelyn tonight and he was a complete non factor. I thought he should of started and we should of stayed small but hard to blame coaching when a team shoots 4-33 on 3s.

These guys shoot everyday, it’s about confidence and they don’t have it right now outside of Connor knocking down a few.

We needed Evelyn tonight and he was a complete non factor. I thought he should of started and we should of stayed small but hard to blame coaching when a team shoots 4-33 on 3s.
All of their shot mechanics are poor.
Square ups are also poor.
Unless they make changes to their forms, shots will not magically start dropping.

The only way to treat a stress reaction is to stay off your feet. Not only could Iowa lose CJ for awhile, a long layoff will equal not being in playing shape when/if he returns.

CJF is very good, but he won’t be the savior when he gets back

CJF is very good, but he won’t be the savior when he gets back

No he won't be but this team with him can be strong. 2 outside shooters + a dominant big man + a slashing PG means that Garza can only be double teamed and he's shown that he can still produce against double teams. And when it comes, it takes one pass back out, defense forced to rotate, and somebody is open for a drive or a 3.

We are 3-1 in league play right now with a healthy CJF instead of 1-3. Margins are razor thin in college b-ball.

that’s the point he isn’t healthy and when he is I doubt he will be able to save the season

Bad shooting nights are going to happen. I can live with that.

But, there is no excuse for the utterly terrible on-ball defense this team plays, and has played during Fran's entire tenure. None.

Nebraska realized that they could score at will by letting the shot clock wind down, then penetrating with ease (drawing the interior defender) and dishing it off for an easy layup or wide open three. Even without penetration, Iowa's perimeter players are constantly on their heels making the shooters completely comfortable lining up the shot.

Our only player that has any lateral quickness at all is Toussaint, but he's prone to head fakes and crossovers, essentially negating whatever athletic ability he has.

This team had exceeded my expectations, but at the end of the day, is quite possibly is the least athletic team in the B1G. If the outside shot is not falling to balance out that lack of athleticism, this team won't have an answer.

Latest posts