The Search: Looking Westward & Discontentment

Dixon would be an homerun type of hire. Proven coach, current head coach in BCS, championship resume. I like it.

He's a UW alum, almost all of his big recruits (Nate Robinson, B Roy, Abdul Gaddy) have come from the Seattle area, which is home to some of the best high school basketball talent in the country. Him leaving all of this behind to come out to Iowa, where he has no recruiting ties and where I doubt kids from the northwest are going to be real excited to come, seems extremely unlikely.

After watching Cael Sanderson walk away from the ISU wrestling job, don't underestimate the desire for a coach to get paid. Even if he has to leave his Alma mater to do so.

Iowa had solid attendance numbers for several of those non-NCAA qualifying seasons between 78-06. It's just after too many of them in a row is where you get the disconnect. Another rough year for the Hoosiers and we'll see how their fanbase reacts. I don't expect the precipitous drop like we have seen because hoops is all they have

He makes $1.5 mil per now right? My guess is if it is strictly a money issue Pitt will step up to the table as they have done with Dixon in the past
I'm sure they will. Most schools typically would for a successful coach. Is it your argument then that successful coaches are never drawn from their current school and that engaging these coaches is frivolous for the University of Iowa?

Folks, you're wasting your energy talking about Romar. Look, I love Iowa City. I'll never forget my time there. But Lorenzo Romar is a West Coast guy with ties to Seattle and L.A. He will not want to move to a mostly rural state where he has no connections less than a 4 hour flight away. Where is the upside? More money? He makes enough money now. Job security? He's got that now. I wish I was wrong, but I don't think I am.

Folks, you're wasting your energy talking about Romar. Look, I love Iowa City. I'll never forget my time there. But Lorenzo Romar is a West Coast guy with ties to Seattle and L.A. He will not want to move to a mostly rural state where he has no connections less than a 4 hour flight away. Where is the upside? More money? He makes enough money now. Job security? He's got that now. I wish I was wrong, but I don't think I am.
I love the concern-troll, California street-cred angle w/ the not 100% sure closing.

I'm sure they will. Most schools typically would for a successful coach. Is it your argument then that successful coaches are never drawn from their current school and that engaging these coaches is frivolous for the University of Iowa?

I think with the current state of the Iowa program it is essentially a waste of time to discuss coaches like Dixon and Pearl. Barta may approach these coaches to try and hit the lottery but I am of the opinion that Iowa is not in a position to attract a major BCS level coach. I think we will end up choosing between an assistant like forbes or a mid major coach like Barbee or Jacobson

I think with the current state of the Iowa program it is essentially a waste of time to discuss coaches like Dixon and Pearl. Barta may approach these coaches to try and hit the lottery but I am of the opinion that Iowa is not in a position to attract a major BCS level coach. I think we will end up choosing between an assistant like forbes or a mid major coach like Barbee or Jacobson
Well this sounds a little more honest.

You THINK that ESSENTIALLY something something and you are of the OPINION something something.

A little different from "But there is no chance he is coming to Iowa. None"

I agree selling Romar on Iowa City isn't the most likely option, but don't dismiss it so fast. Do you think Kirk would have stayed in Iowa City if, after winning his first Big Ten title and being named Big Ten coach of the year, the university would have kept paying him well below market value and not seemed interested in investing in the stadium or practice facilities?

Like any professional, I think Romar would have to be intrigued by a potential employer that seemed so excited to have him, and seemed so dialed in on giving him what he needs to be successful.

On the surface, Iowa seems like a lateral move, or even a half step down. But Washington, despite having a successful team, only draws around 8,000 or 9,000 (don't quote me, but it is somewhere in there). I don't think the facilities, administration's commitment, pay, or fan interest are anywhere close to Iowa's. Iowa is a better job, at least right now.

Recruiting the midwest is an issue. But I think that might even interest Romar. He was one of UCLA's primary recruiters on their mid-90s championship team, and he's been a head coach at St. Louis, Pepperdine and UW. He can recruit and will surround himself with other guys that will help with the Midwest. The great thing is he'd have a national scope to his recruiting.

He's picked up some great rural Washington kids, too. My guess is moms would love him whether in Dubuque or Los Angeles...and he'd get kids from both.

The fact that Iowa is a better job for all the reasons listed above, and considering Romar may feel comfortable with Barta already makes the possibility more realistic than some are willing to acknowledge.

I love the concern-troll, California street-cred angle w/ the not 100% sure closing.

Why the hostility, Hawkey3? Fact is, I'm an Iowa grad. Born and raised in Iowa. I make the trek back to Iowa for football games every year. I was at the first game ever played at Carver and I was at the last game ever played in the Field House. I stood in the middle of a bar filled with USC types during the Orange Bowl a few years back wearing my Iowa gear. If that qualifies me as a "troll," so be it. But if it's 100% sure you want -- here it is. Romar ain't going to Iowa City.

Well this sounds a little more honest.

You THINK that ESSENTIALLY something something and you are of the OPINION something something.

A little different from "But there is no chance he is coming to Iowa. None"

Well obviously i dont know for sure there is no chance he is coming to Iowa BUT, there is no chance he is coming to Iowa. None

Why the hostility, Hawkey3? Fact is, I'm an Iowa grad. Born and raised in Iowa. I make the trek back to Iowa for football games every year. I was at the first game ever played at Carver and I was at the last game ever played in the Field House. I stood in the middle of a bar filled with USC types during the Orange Bowl a few years back wearing my Iowa gear. If that qualifies me as a "troll," so be it. But if it's 100% sure you want -- here it is. Romar ain't going to Iowa City.
Perfect. That had to be a crappy bar atmosphere in the 2nd half. At least we got some Orange Bowl redemption this year while USC was duking it out in the Prestigious Emerald Bowl.

I don't particularly care about Romar btw. I'm pining more for Dixon on this thread.

Iowa had solid attendance numbers for several of those non-NCAA qualifying seasons between 78-06. It's just after too many of them in a row is where you get the disconnect. Another rough year for the Hoosiers and we'll see how their fanbase reacts. I don't expect the precipitous drop like we have seen because hoops is all they have

I agree that is all Indiana has and I am in no way saying that Indiana fans are all around better fans than Iowa. I am just saying that if you are talking about hiring a big name new coach he is going to see only about 10,000 average attendance last year with a marketing department that is well behind the times (current football coaches have expressed this opinion). He will have a very uphill road. Not exactly a great situation to walk into. The new basketball coach isn't going to care that we sell out our football stadium or we have great fund-raising for the women's rowing team.

Personally, I think there is a 0.001% we get anyone like Dixon, but I would love it if it happened.

So what you're saying is... we have a chance!

Jim-Carrey-Dumb-and-Dumber.13.jpg

I live in Seattle.

Although their attendance isn't Big 10 level, Seattle loves UW basketball.

There is zero chance Lorenzo Romar leaves Seattle to come to Iowa City.

Washington is basketball royalty whereas Iowa is an armpit right now.

I love my Hawkeye hoops but this is not a plausible scenario.

I live in Seattle.

Although their attendance isn't Big 10 level, Seattle loves UW basketball.

There is zero chance Lorenzo Romar leaves Seattle to come to Iowa City.

Washington is basketball royalty whereas Iowa is an armpit right now.

I love my Hawkeye hoops but this is not a plausible scenario.

Thats why its been such a popular thread. We have been focusing on the "not plausible" situations ever since Lick has been fired

Only way Romar gets the job is if Pearl, BJ and Les Jepsen turn Iowa down

Latest posts