The Search: Looking Westward & Discontentment

I am not saying Romar would leave Washington. I am saying given Barta's experience with him, I would not be surprised if he made an overture.

Taken from an ESPN.com article on Dixion......sounds a little familiar like another coach at Iowa.....

Despite rarely attracting Top 50 recruits, Pitt has averaged nearly 27 victories per season under Dixon, including records of 31-5 in 2003-04, 29-8 in 2006-07 and 27-10 last season. Only one of his teams failed to win at least 25 games.

Pittsburgh extends coach Dixon's deal another 3 years - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Yeah the difference being Dixon has done it in the Big East.

I think Pitt has hard time giving Dixon more money as it is reported that he already makes $200 M more per year than Wannstadt does which is strange, if you look at which program brings in the most money to their athletic dept. So, if they give Dixon a big increase to match other offers, they are going to have to increase Wannstadt's pay as much, if not more than Dixon to keep Wannstadt happy. Although I personally don't think Wannstadt is a very good coach, Pittsburgh has done very well the past 2 seasons and beat Iowa at their place in that time frame. This one should be interesting, imo.

Dixion does fit the Big Ten mold of a coach who instills toughness in his teams. One big question that comes to mind is does he have the Chicago recruiting contacts to pull kids out of Illinois? Over at Pitt he has been able to pull kids from MD, NY, Ohio, Penn, CT, and other east coast states.

Just say Dixion is the Iowa coach, can he make the in roads in Chicago or convince kids form the east coast to come to Iowa. Not sure what's an easier sell...you decide.

Hire Dixon and then he can bring in Derek Thomas as one assistant. He has well established connections in Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis.

Wayne Morgan and TOm Davis were on that flight but Tim FLoyd was not.

I was actually on that flight Mr. Davis was wearing black and gold

No kidding. Big time win if we could land Dixon. I had no idea it was even a possibility. PLEASE BARTA! WE NEED THE BIG ONE!

I have to tell you this board is way more confident in getting a big hire than Hawkeyereport. They are in a complete B and C list of candidates and we are swimming in the A and A- league. God, I hope Jon's sources are better than Kakert's sources.

I have to tell you this board is way more confident in getting a big hire than Hawkeyereport. They are in a complete B and C list of candidates and we are swimming in the A and A- league. God, I hope Jon's sources are better than Kakert's sources.

The people I have spoken with have not said that Barta WILL hire an A-lister...just that he is going to explore those options. I am not saying I am confident that Iowa is going to hire an A-lister. I would wager that does not happen.

I've lived in Seattle two years now and think there could be more to this Romar thing than first meets the eye.

This would be an absolute home run for the Hawkeyes. Forget this Steve Forbes thing, that's small potatoes compared to Romar.

First of all, if you are Gary Barta, you have to make the call. Assuming they have somewhat of a connection from the past, you tell him he's your guy and ask what he needs.

Listening to Romar interviewed on local radio the last couple years, I'm amazed he doesn't have a larger profile in town. While I think his contract goes for another 5 years or so, he doesn't make much more than a million a year. A million a year! And this is for a guy that since 2002, has now taken Washington to 3 sweet 16s. Last year, for the first time since 1953, he led Washington to the conference title. Can you imagine what kind of money and legacy he would have at Iowa if he accomplished those things?

My sense, and this is 100% speculation since he is too classy of a guy to start complaining to the media, is that Romar may feel a bit under appreciated. He should. Look at those recent accomplishments again.
Unfortunately, in the Seattle pecking order, UW basketball sits somewhere below the Seahawks, Mariners and UW football. I'd also say, statewide, it falls below Gonzaga basketball, and maybe, maybe, even below Washington State basketball when the Cougars are winning.

Imagine Barta telling him he would be the second or third most recognizable and popular figure in Iowa if he won a Big Ten title? Oh, and throw in a $1 million to $1.5 million a year raise.

Maybe Romar is only interested in leveraging Iowa's interest for a raise, but perhaps part of him wonders what it would be like to be THE team in an entire state (or share it with the football team, at least).

It'd be a great fit. He is a smart, articulate, funny guy who seems very well respected - but also liked - by his players and administration. He might wonder if the university realizes how good they have it.

Last edited:
The people I have spoken with have not said that Barta WILL hire an A-lister...just that he is going to explore those options. I am not saying I am confident that Iowa is going to hire an A-lister. I would wager that does not happen.
What chance is there that Barta is ready to throw $2-2.5 million at someone like Dixon to make it happen?

How are UDub's bb facilities? Arena? Attendance?

I think it is worth a shot. Give him that 2 million dollar/yr offer and full court press him!

I think for guys like Dixon and Romar...you pay top dollar,but if they pay off, you end up raising bb income from 2 million to 6-7 million...worth it.

Jon,

Sorry I am not implying that you said we are hiring an A-lister, but it is more fun to read this board when we are talking about them. I apologize if I made it sound differently. I realize we will are more than likely looking at a mid-major, however I would rather see a big-time assistant.

How are UDub's bb facilities? Arena? Attendance?

I think it is worth a shot. Give him that 2 million dollar/yr offer and full court press him!

I think for guys like Dixon and Romar...you pay top dollar,but if they pay off, you end up raising bb income from 2 million to 6-7 million...worth it.
BINGO

As a Seattle resident, I've watched Romar operate and he is terrific. Class act, personable but humble, great coach and recruiter and teacher of young men. When our job opened up and I got to thinking "who is the Kirk Ferentz of b-ball", Lorenzo Romar came immediately to mind.

Hard to imagine him leaving his alma mater, but... The facilities are just ok, the newly-remodeled arena is still smallish and pales in comparison to most Big Ten arenas including Carver, the fan intensity isn't really there and never will be compared to UW football, Seahawks and Mariners... and he only makes $1mm.

But he's a native Californian, UW alum, and apart from those 3 yrs at St. Louis has spent his entire career on the west coast.

I would love it if we could get Dixon in, but if we can't, what is wrong with asking Tubby Smith if he's had enough in Minneaplolis. His wife HATES it there, and his name has been brought up for the Auburn job. For 1 I can't believe he would leave ANY Big Ten school for the SEC...Auburn no less. Two, I think that it would be an interesting enough hire for the program to put fans back in the stands.

What chance is there that Barta is ready to throw $2-2.5 million at someone like Dixon to make it happen?

Its almost a given that Barta would pay that kinda money to bring his #1 guy here. Bottom line is, you don't fire/buyout your head coach with that much money remaining on the contract if there isn't enough money in the till to payout what you need to get the guy you want. Dixon would be a HUGE hire, and 1 that could possibly save Barta's job. He hasn't had too many decisions, but the bad one of hiring Lickliter is the one we'll all remember. Sure, forcing Alford out without a buyout was ingenious, but hiring Lickliter after clouds that decision. Firing him was another good decision...we'll see what he can do this time around.

What exactly is Dixon's problem with Pitt?

Money? Facilities? Something personal?

Just curious and was wondering if anyone knows what it is or has a link to an article that talks about it.
Personally, I think there is a 0.001% we get anyone like Dixon, but I would love it if it happened.

I would love it if we could get Dixon in, but if we can't, what is wrong with asking Tubby Smith if he's had enough in Minneaplolis. His wife HATES it there, and his name has been brought up for the Auburn job. For 1 I can't believe he would leave ANY Big Ten school for the SEC...Auburn no less. Two, I think that it would be an interesting enough hire for the program to put fans back in the stands.

Tubby lived and coached in Tulsa, Georgia, and Kentucky before coming to Minnesota. He is a southern guy who probably wants to get back to that part of the country. He is getting close to retirement age and probably he and his wife want a change in weather climate(why the Auburn talk makes sense). Barta will not even waste one second on Tubby Smith...No chance in He%* he would come to Iowa.

I am having trouble reconciling your last sentence with your statements that we will likely not be making a big name hire.

It's a fluid process. I've gone from wanting a home run hire, to thinking Forbes would be an excellent hire because we didn't have a much of a chance at an established name, and now back to believing Barta is going to hit it out of the park. This has been a more fascinating time for me than any that I can remember, as far as Iowa looking for a new coach is concerned. One thing is for certain and that is Hawkeye basketball will soon be on the upswing for the first time since Horner & Co.'s final game.

Latest posts