The Regular Season or the Tournament

Most was paid prescription or both. The issue is that few below 40 really care. The Big Network could be contributing to the Big decline.

Interesting thing...blacks appear to like paid TV to be more selective on what the watch. Need to stop at that or get it kicked.

It is obvious tge Big is not as athletic as many Dancers.

Single moms trying to provide food aren't putting out for Big Network I am confident.

I don't know but I'm guessing Iowa is on the high side of 2 parent households.

This BIG currently is in like 73 million US households. Actually, two carriers in Canada also carry the BTN network after getting many requests. That is a lot of homes.

This BIG currently is in like 73 million US households. Actually, two carriers in Canada also carry the BTN network after getting many requests. That is a lot of homes.
Agree. It's been wildly successful business wise.

Watching the Dance, it's obvious the Big isn't as athletic as other teams outside. Probably a number of reasons but as an example, Lester grew up without much. With a single mom and 3 sisters, he would have had less Iowa and Big exposure when recruited. Paying for TV doesn't compare with necessities. Just a thought. Would he be at Iowa if the world then was like today. Lots of factors.

Last edited:
It doesn't erase the good times had during the season. But I was a freshman at ISU when ISU went 14-2 and won the conference and lost to Hampton in the 1st round and I'd be absolutely lying if I said that didn't completely sully the season.
I totally agree with this. It sucked to lose in the 1st round, but I will never forget the MSU game and when the game we blew out Indiana on the road is on BTN in future years, I'll watch that one as well. I will guarantee I won't remember who or when we lost in the NCAA's.

As for your 14-2 season, I guarantee you remember going nuts (and hoarse) for a lot of those home games and you had the time of your life. Do you wish you could go back and relive those good ol' days? Or were you in the library studying during the games because it wasn't so crowded? ;)

I totally agree with this. It sucked to lose in the 1st round, but I will never forget the MSU game and when the game we blew out Indiana on the road is on BTN in future years, I'll watch that one as well. I will guarantee I won't remember who or when we lost in the NCAA's.

As for your 14-2 season, I guarantee you remember going nuts (and hoarse) for a lot of those home games and you had the time of your life. Do you wish you could go back and relive those good ol' days? Or were you in the library studying during the games because it wasn't so crowded? ;)
I think your spot on about this, but also that it varies person to person. Some people are able to focus on the wins and the great moments, but others simply hate losing more than than winning and it is those moments that they hold on to while forgetting how good they felt prior to it.

Example: I took 3 teams to the state soccer tournament and one of those years we finished 3rd (early 2000's). We ended up losing in the semi's by giving up a late goal and ended up losing in penalty kicks. To this day I can remember every little detail about losing the shootout and that semi final match. We won the consolation game that year and to be totally honest, I couldn't remember anything about that game other than the score being 1-0, but don't remember anything else to this day. I can still remember the regular season and getting to state though, but absolutely no details other than the semifinal loss.

It's just how we're wired with everyone being different.

I think your spot on about this, but also that it varies person to person. Some people are able to focus on the wins and the great moments, but others simply hate losing more than than winning and it is those moments that they hold on to while forgetting how good they felt prior to it.

Example: I took 3 teams to the state soccer tournament and one of those years we finished 3rd (early 2000's). We ended up losing in the semi's by giving up a late goal and ended up losing in penalty kicks. To this day I can remember every little detail about losing the shootout and that semi final match. We won the consolation game that year and to be totally honest, I couldn't remember anything about that game other than the score being 1-0, but don't remember anything else to this day. I can still remember the regular season and getting to state though, but absolutely no details other than the semifinal loss.

Championships start with D!

I still have the slaughter of OSU by the Hawks in football on my DVR. Quite frankly I don’t remember much about the rest of that season without a refresher course.

That was my last game at Kinnick and I don't know for certain if I will ever go back because nothing can ever possibly top beating Ohio by thirty freaking one points. Best Iowa football game in decades. I remember putting up like 70 yards of offense the next week.

My GPA would indicate no, I was not in the library.

The PSU football game last year was the most fun I've ever had in my life and I got to do it with my kid. I couldn't give a shit less how the next game went or how the season went.

Likely more than you, tbh. You sound like you’ve had a rough go of it over the years.
You are too funny. Yes, I'm a survivor and have a long-term marriage great marriage with lots of kids...7 grandkids, two of which I just visited in TX. I've traveled the world. Recently had a couple of articles in national publications, published author. My favorite thing to do...bike with my wife in the Rockies or the south LA beach bike paths. Love photography, guitar, and trumpet. I keep busy. I also like testifying in court cases. The psychology is incredible. And sports is a whole lot of psychology. Tonite I will spend at least an hour sitting on the couch talking with my wife...no TV.

For someone who should have been in foster care, yes, I've made a pretty good life and am proud of it. Somedays, ya PTSD gets the better of me but I work at it. Life is about overcoming challenges. I am sorry the biggest relationship in your life didn't work out. Don't know what happened to you, but you really don't seem to get how it impacts you.

Nice try. You just sound like an unhappy person and just don't get it.

You are too funny. Yes, I'm a survivor and have a long-term marriage great marriage with lots of kids...7 grandkids, two of which I just visited in TX. I've traveled the world. Recently had a couple of articles in national publications, published author. My favorite thing to do...bike with my wife in the Rockies or the south LA beach bike paths. Love photography, guitar, and trumpet. I keep busy. I also like testifying in court cases. The psychology is incredible. And sports is a whole lot of psychology. Tonite I will spend at least an hour sitting on the couch talking with my wife...no TV.

For someone who should have been in foster care, yes, I've made a pretty good life and am proud of it. Somedays, ya PTSD gets the better of me but I work at it. Life is about overcoming challenges. I am sorry the biggest relationship in your life didn't work out. Don't know what happened to you, but you really don't seem to get how it impacts you.

Nice try. You just sound like an unhappy person and just don't get it.
Oh I get it. I wasn’t making fun of your life. You insinuated I don’t enjoy life and I do. How you take it is your deal.

Oh I get it. I wasn’t making fun of your life. You insinuated I don’t enjoy life and I do. How you take it is your deal.
I have a feeling you two are more similar than you are dissimilar. Lol!

As much as it's hard to admit. Both of you are interesting as hell with all your life experiences.

Agree. It's been wildly successful business wise.

Watching the Dance, it's obvious the Big isn't as athletic as other teams outside. Probably a number of reasons but as an example, Lester grew up without much. With a single mom and 3 sisters, he would have had less Iowa and Big exposure when recruited. Paying for TV doesn't compare with necessities. Just a thought. Would he be at Iowa if the world then was like today. Lots of factors.
No way Lester ends up at Iowa if he had a dad. Let alone if he only had two sisters.

The problem with your example is you were the one actually playing in it. If someone can't find enjoyment in watching sports because they can only remember the bad things then that sucks bad for them. It's beneficial to be wired like that with things you have control over. It helps you get better. When it spills over to entertainment, all it does is ruin it. Imagine only remembering the bad movies you've watched.

The problem with your example is you were the one actually playing in it. If someone can't find enjoyment in watching sports because they can only remember the bad things then that sucks bad for them. It's beneficial to be wired like that with things you have control over. It helps you get better. When it spills over to entertainment, all it does is ruin it. Imagine only remembering the bad movies you've watched.
Good coaches focus a lot on what went wrong. Particularly good coaches that have teams that are overachieving on talent. When you are undertalented, every possession becomes a war due to such little scoring. One mistake and you are toast. We try and create chaos to create a mistake by the superior team but almost always when we know we have the counter covered.

Watching the Hawks are a lot that way. Coaches have difficulty letting go of that mentality even as fans. Iowa (make no mistake) is undertalented. The margin of error is so very slim. Hoiberg and Izzo are two of the best at being fully engaged 100 percent of the time in a game. Fran doesn't give that perspective. His team doesn't either and at times seems disengaged. Blowing up periodically is not the same thing.

Little things just scream out. Conner's very not fluid shooting motion and lower release point...he can't shoot over anyone. PM is even lower and can't shoot over anyone. Marble couldn't drive in both directions. Woodbury had a horrible basic defensive posture. Those things are NOT hard to teach. It's a lack of attention to detail that can make a difference in being undertalented. In some games only one more make. Or being able to shoot over someone 2x. PM is a master at driving with his strong hand but can't with the other at all. ANY D1 player in the Big should have that as a basic skill even if they aren't terrific at it. We saw over and over Flip want to turn one way, but couldn't and the opponent was overplaying him because they knew he wouldn't reverse.

It's not a bad thing to see those things. Those of us as such coaches wonder in reverse...how can you not see that?

The regular season matters as much to me as March personally. I mean, they seed the fucking tournament ya'll are fucking hell bent on based off the regular season. If it didn't matter, why even play the regular season? If it doesn't matter, why play the conference tournaments.

It all fucking matters, and I'd argue that your regular season is as if not more important since seeding and matchup is very important aspect to who advances

Would I rather have 1 sweet 16 in the last 13 years of Fran with 1 Dance or would I rather have watched 8 NCAA worthy teams try and make it? Give me 8 trips every time then a flash in the pan season. I want consistency. I want regular shots at advancing vs one great team with a great run. That one team or run doesn't mean shit really if you can't sustain it.

Personally, I LOVE the regular season. I love having 2 games at least a week that I have to plan around. It's my favorite time of the year and helps get me through some long winter months.

The regular season matters as much to me as March personally. I mean, they seed the fucking tournament ya'll are fucking hell bent on based off the regular season. If it didn't matter, why even play the regular season? If it doesn't matter, why play the conference tournaments.

It all fucking matters, and I'd argue that your regular season is as if not more important since seeding and matchup is very important aspect to who advances

Would I rather have 1 sweet 16 in the last 13 years of Fran with 1 Dance or would I rather have watched 8 NCAA worthy teams try and make it? Give me 8 trips every time then a flash in the pan season. I want consistency. I want regular shots at advancing vs one great team with a great run. That one team or run doesn't mean shit really if you can't sustain it.

Personally, I LOVE the regular season. I love having 2 games at least a week that I have to plan around. It's my favorite time of the year and helps get me through some long winter months.
Winters seem to extend longer now and the Dance helps....

Good coaches focus a lot on what went wrong. Particularly good coaches that have teams that are overachieving on talent. When you are undertalented, every possession becomes a war due to such little scoring. One mistake and you are toast. We try and create chaos to create a mistake by the superior team but almost always when we know we have the counter covered.

Watching the Hawks are a lot that way. Coaches have difficulty letting go of that mentality even as fans. Iowa (make no mistake) is undertalented. The margin of error is so very slim. Hoiberg and Izzo are two of the best at being fully engaged 100 percent of the time in a game. Fran doesn't give that perspective. His team doesn't either and at times seems disengaged. Blowing up periodically is not the same thing.

Little things just scream out. Conner's very not fluid shooting motion and lower release point...he can't shoot over anyone. PM is even lower and can't shoot over anyone. Marble couldn't drive in both directions. Woodbury had a horrible basic defensive posture. Those things are NOT hard to teach. It's a lack of attention to detail that can make a difference in being undertalented. In some games only one more make. Or being able to shoot over someone 2x. PM is a master at driving with his strong hand but can't with the other at all. ANY D1 player in the Big should have that as a basic skill even if they aren't terrific at it. We saw over and over Flip want to turn one way, but couldn't and the opponent was overplaying him because they knew he wouldn't reverse.

It's not a bad thing to see those things. Those of us as such coaches wonder in reverse...how can you not see that?
I assume you accidently quoted me since your post has nothing to do with mine?