The Regular Season or the Tournament

They will remember the Big Ten Regular Season Championship and Big Ten Tournament Championship. Those are very good accomplishments....something that seems to elude Iowa in the regular season sense.

But this year will also be looked at in historic infamy......being a 1 seed and losing to a 16 seed is something you never want to be a part of.

I also imagine Purdue fans are pretty frustrated with the last 3 tournaments and losing to bum high seeds.

I will say this, after we won the Big Ten Tournament last year.....a lot of that goodwill felt mostly out the window after losing to lowly Richmond. Felt like a kick in the balls.

And, yes, winning the Big Ten Tournament last year was also a good accomplishment for Fran.

Specifically to answer the question, I think they will remember both, but losing to the 16 seed more. Reason being....Purdue has established itself in conference under Painter and has gone as far as the Elite 8 under Painter. Their conference accomplishments may not be as unique as it would feel to us. And, losing to a 16 seed as a 1 seed only happened one other time (Virginia). This along with the Virginia loss is an historic NCAA failure.

Here is another bit of nugget, I could care less about ClownU and laugh at their misery. I couldn't specifically tell you about their accomplishments in the NCAAs (I don't intentionally put it into memory)....but with two in memory right now without looking things up. One, the D-bag coach there right now that got his team to the Sweet 16 last year. Recent memory.

The other, I remember #15 seed Hampton beating #2 Iowa St. I could not tell you anything specific about that season....if they even won the Big 12....but I remember that loss.

Back to our own team, I remember Iowa having a good regular season under Alfraud and getting a 3 seed and 14 seed Northwestern St....the shot swishing to beat us. That is what stands out to me about that year.

The NCAAs do have a profound impact on things.....like it or not.

Ask Spencer Lee right now as well about that. He is probably so pissed he does not care about his last 3 NCAA titles....although he should.

Last edited:
Excellent, Most Excellent, there are shameful events that occur on the hardwood floor in the Dance that will never be forgotten by frustrated fans

Purdue will forever be remembered as a Number One seed losing to a 16 seed

Permanent Hall of Shame resident

Clowns are also residents in the Hall
I believe that was the game that Tinsley would casually stroll down court and casually toss the ball toward the backboard

The Hawk loss to the Spiders was one that will take a long time to forget, but in the end will just be another first round loss, along with 32 other
teams
Happens every year, as fans we travel on and wait for next year, over and over, and as Hawkeyes fans can't wait for football season,
anxiously awaiting basketball season to start
It's All Good

Reality hits home. The Big is a conference. Teams are built to compete in the conference. The conference is made up of mostly midwest teams. The majority of households in the footprint do not subscribe to the Big Network. Big teams are marketed by the networks to middle class families who have the resources to pay for things like the Big Network.

The Big can no longer compete nationally in marketing to many recruits.

Nothing in the Big looks like the top half of the SEC, UCLA, HOUSTON or GONAGA. ACC is probably in same situation. The 12 is above the Big but not by a lot.

If the Big started today, Iowa would finish near the bottom as they haven't improved...and are the worst team fundamentally with OSU.

Never been a Fran fan. However something has changed in him.

The conference is made up of mostly midwest teams. The majority of households in the footprint do not subscribe to the Big Network
LOL

Care to share a current source for bolded above? Because if not you need to go back, edit your post, and admit you were talking outta your ass

LOL

Care to share a current source for bolded above? Because if not you need to go back, edit your post, and admit you were talking outta your ass
1/3 of 18 to 29 yo s get cable access.
30 to 50 is less than half.
it goes up to 81 percent 65 plus.

Cable viewership has dropped 25 percent in 7 years.

Watching tv by race is about even but almost all households making 150k have cable or streaming. It drops to under half at income 50k

It would not be difficult to surmise that Big exposure is limited to an older higher income household. It would not be hard to extrapolate that households of single moms.

Almost 75 percent of black children are born to non married moms.

It used to be any child could watch many games on local tv.

use your critical thinking skills

Watching tv by race is about even but almost all households making 150k have cable or streaming. It drops to under half at income 50k

It would not be difficult to surmise that Big exposure is limited to an older higher income household. It would not be hard to extrapolate that households of single moms.

1679251750800.png

When you say "cable" does that include satellite and streaming?

When you say "cable" does that include satellite and streaming?
Most was paid prescription or both. The issue is that few below 40 really care. The Big Network could be contributing to the Big decline.

Interesting thing...blacks appear to like paid TV to be more selective on what the watch. Need to stop at that or get it kicked.

It is obvious tge Big is not as athletic as many Dancers.

Single moms trying to provide food aren't putting out for Big Network I am confident.

I don't know but I'm guessing Iowa is on the high side of 2 parent households.

So…I’m still not seeing your source for Midwestern households mostly not having BTN. But I see a whole lot of irrelevant deflection not pertaining to my original question. I’ll give ya another chance for your source that “most Midwestern households don’t have BTN.”

So…I’m still not seeing your source for Midwestern households mostly not having BTN. But I see a whole lot of irrelevant deflection not pertaining to my original question. I’ll give ya another chance for your source that “most Midwestern households don’t have BTN.”
The emporer has no clothes.

The emporer has no clothes.
Again with your deflection. You said a majority of households in the conference "footprint" don't have BTN. That's patently false. Any time you get called out on BS you turn to deflection and diversion trying to guilt people about race and other stuff, like how we all "should feel bad about what's going on" at U of I...and then hilariously accuse other people of gaslighting (I still don't think you know what that term means).

And a guy with your supposed education should at least be able to spell emperor.

Wonder what Purdue fans will remember? March is what counts the most
I mean 30 plus games are played yet some fans boil all of a season down to 1 game.... I'm sure Purdue fans will remember Edey dominating all yr long and getting matched up with a really small fast team that took advantage of their speed against Purdues freshman guards who struggled against pressure D all yr is my guess

No, it doesn’t. Only for a few misinformed fans, like you.
Well, I get your point in previous posts and somewhat agree with you, but, both is really what is important and they are so relational. If a team has a great regular season and places 1-3 in the conference, they have a good chance of being successful in the tournament. The tournament is a real measure and emphasis for teams and fans. That is the proverbial dangling apple. A team doesn't have one without the other.

Reality hits home. The Big is a conference. Teams are built to compete in the conference. The conference is made up of mostly midwest teams. The majority of households in the footprint do not subscribe to the Big Network. Big teams are marketed by the networks to middle class families who have the resources to pay for things like the Big Network.

The Big can no longer compete nationally in marketing to many recruits.

Nothing in the Big looks like the top half of the SEC, UCLA, HOUSTON or GONAGA. ACC is probably in same situation. The 12 is above the Big but not by a lot.

If the Big started today, Iowa would finish near the bottom as they haven't improved...and are the worst team fundamentally with OSU.

Never been a Fran fan. However something has changed in him.

What has really stuck out to me the last two years is that the BIG conference is not this big bully tough conference that we have always been sold over the years. All we have heard is how the BIG is so tough and physical. Last year opened my eyes that it is not. This year has confirmed my thoughts.

Most the BIG teams play soft and rely on tight referring to help.

Last edited:
It doesn't erase the good times had during the season. But I was a freshman at ISU when ISU went 14-2 and won the conference and lost to Hampton in the 1st round and I'd be absolutely lying if I said that didn't completely sully the season.

Correct. The tournament is pretty much all that people will remember. It's like that Giants team that beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. No one will remember that they were 9-7 or whatever, just that they won the Super Bowl and kept the Pats from the elusive perfect season.

Latest posts