The path forward

oregonhawkeye

This season is more or less done. At most we have two or three more victories to watch, which would in the big picture mean a really good season for this team. And still we've got a team that disappointed down the stretch and leaves us pessimistic about the future of the program.

Perhaps best case scenario, this is how I see the personnel changes...
Gone- TC, Baer, CMac
Coming aboard- Nunge, Frederick, Toussaint
Redshirting, leaving or staying, doesn't really matter for 2019/20- Patrick McCaffrey, Fran McCaffrey

Connor needs to quit basketball and focus on his better sport.
Cook quit five weeks ago. Sad given his potential, glimpses of greatness.
Baer will be missed.

If Toussaint is a difference maker and can step in at the one, this is the team next year-
Starters: JT, JB, JW, JN, LG
Bench: IM, CJF, RK

I'd buy shares of that.

If Dailey would decide to transfer I wouldn't be upset as well. Bring in a big guard or small forward who can ball, anything would be an upgrade. If you want a defensive stopper back up guard I'd give Till a shot.

If Dailey would decide to transfer I wouldn't be upset as well. Bring in a big guard or small forward who can ball, anything would be an upgrade. If you want a defensive stopper back up guard I'd give Till a shot.
Right, forgot to mention Dailey. In my scenario he falls off the 8 man rotation.

Someone needs to sit down with Tyler and say, "Look: you're not an NBA player. Right now, you're not even close. You need to stay here and work for an entire year and play for this team and MAYBE you'll get some looks as a senior. We're not going to play the whole three month 'I'm evaluating my NBA options' dance with you. If you declare for the draft, no matter how, you need to transfer if you pull out. Either you're here or you're not."

Someone needs to sit down with Tyler and say, "Look: you're not an NBA player. Right now, you're not even close. You need to stay here and work for an entire year and play for this team and MAYBE you'll get some looks as a senior. We're not going to play the whole three month 'I'm evaluating my NBA options' dance with you. If you declare for the draft, no matter how, you need to transfer if you pull out. Either you're here or you're not."
Right, I wish, but he doesn't seem like a program guy. Seems pretty certain he's going to leave.

This season is more or less done. At most we have two or three more victories to watch, which would in the big picture mean a really good season for this team. And still we've got a team that disappointed down the stretch and leaves us pessimistic about the future of the program.

Gone- TC, Baer, CMac
Redshirting, leaving or staying, doesn't really matter for 2019/20- Patrick McCaffrey, Fran McCaffrey

Baer will be missed.

If Toussaint is a difference maker and can step in at the one, this is the team next year-

I'd buy shares of that.

I'm with ya on every single point. every. single. point.
But, I don't think it's got a chance to be reality.

TC is a mixed blessing. He carried this team on his back some many times in the last 2 years,... Regardless, I agree with you, he gone. He'll declare. I think he knows by now he ain't association material, but Europe and D league pay good enough to live off of. He can't be happy at Iowa- prolly wishes he'd never come.
CMac. He prolly loves to play for his dad, and with his brother coming in next yr, he won't devote his total effort to baseball until AFTER next year, maybe even the yr after. Hopefully, he will know he has no future in basketball by then.

Dailey, I hope will see the light. This will be a tough decision for him b/c FRAN INCREASED HIS PLAYING TIME THIS YEAR.His minutes HAVE TO go down DRASTICALLY next year, otherwise he has no reason to leave. Would you turn down a free ride to college. I'd sit on the bench for that. If Toussaint comes thru for us next yr, his mins should. Then, after next yr, he'll transfer to Drake

Toussaint is the key for next yr. If he is adequate, Jbo can move to the shooting guard spot, for which he's better suited., Moss to 2nd string where he belongs as a backup. I wouldn't be opposed to him playing behind Fredrick if he pans out. Moss is a liability, on defense and has never been consistent on off.
If only Baer and Cook leave, Fran is going to be 14 deep. The way to improve this team is to cut the mins of Dailey and CMac DRASTICALLY, but Fran ain't gonna do that to his son. {It was only his first full year, he'll improve...}
Frontcourt looks really deep with Garza, Weiscamp, Nunge, Pemsl, Pat McC and Kreiner.

Gone- TC, Baer, CMac

Baer will be missed.

I'd buy shares of that.
Where the hell would Cook go? He’s having a total shit year, and if last season wasn’t good enough for him to leave, he sure isn’t going anywhere after this one.

I don’t understand you people who still drink the kool aid about Cook being good enough to get paid playing basketball, let alone in Europe or the NBA.

Cook could go just because he's done with college sports. IMO - watching Mashie's body language in person yesterday, I'd be shocked if he's in an Iowa uni next season.

Gone- TC, Baer, CMac

Baer will be missed.

I'd buy shares of that.

First to go should be Barta. after that clean the entire slate and move forward

That discussion should have taken place last summer. I think he's in for a very disappointing episode if he tries to go pro. Get your degree young man and keep working on your game.

Cook could go just because he's done with college sports. IMO - watching Mashie's body language in person yesterday, I'd be shocked if he's in an Iowa uni next season.
Daliey has to know that the starting 5 will unfortunately all be the same next year and so will his minutes. Depending on how Nunge's weight training is going, I could see him stealing some of Cook's minutes but that's really the only change I see. People can flame me if they want, but Cook just isn't that good. He certainly isn't good against the better teams we've played this year.

Patrick will be a non issue, to be honest I don't see a spot for him on a P6 team. His only hope was to put some pounds on and that hasn't happened, and he was getting pinballed around by non-D1 high schoolers this year. I watched the ICW tournament games and he even struggled with those mostly non-AAU teams. Life just dealt the kid a shitty hand because I think had his cancer stuff not happened he probably could have made a splash. What this team needs is someone who's not a one-dimensional wing shooter; we have plenty of that. We need some size and strength to play defense and fight for rebounds.

I guess to me I see Fran staying for as long as Connor plays, and if Patrick finds he can't handle B1G basketball and transfers, that may be Fran's out.

Daliey has to know that the starting 5 will unfortunately all be the same next year and so will his minutes. Depending on how Nunge's weight training is going, I could see him stealing some of Cook's minutes but that's really the only change I see. People can flame me if they want, but Cook just isn't that good. He certainly isn't good against the better teams we've played this year.

Patrick will be a non issue, to be honest I don't see a spot for him on a P6 team. His only hope was to put some pounds on and that hasn't happened, and he was getting pinballed around by non-D1 high schoolers this year. I watched the ICW tournament games and he even struggled with those mostly non-AAU teams. Life just dealt the kid a shitty hand because I think had his cancer stuff not happened he probably could have made a splash. What this team needs is someone who's not a one-dimensional wing shooter; we have plenty of that. We need some size and strength to play defense and fight for rebounds.

I guess to me I see Fran staying for as long as Connor plays, and if Patrick finds he can't handle B1G basketball and transfers, that may be Fran's out.

No flames here, Cook is a nice player for Iowa and probably 3rd team All -B1G pick today - but he's no where near a professional basketball player. He just seems to be in a hurry to play for cash so I assume he leaves Iowa for that reason alone, it definitely won't be to play in the NBA

I could have completely misinterpreted, but weren’t you giving me shit for saying that about Dailey a few weeks back?

Where the hell would Cook go? He’s having a total shit year, and if last season wasn’t good enough for him to leave, he sure isn’t going anywhere after this one.

I don’t understand you people who still drink the kool aid about Cook being good enough to get paid playing basketball, let alone in Europe or the NBA.
There are D3 basketball players that have made good money playing overseas. I know Cook is struggling right now but he definitely has the talent to play overseas. Heck, guys like Clemmons and Basabe play overseas.

Gone- TC, Baer, CMac

Baer will be missed.

I'd buy shares of that.
If Fran is the coach Moss ain’t getting bumped from the starting lineup.

Pemsl? He will get minutes with Fran.

8 man rotation? Again not happening with Fran.

Prior to the last 3 wks or so I'd have said we had quite the building blocks to build on. Now it almost feels like we have to blow up a 21 win team... After last yr we'd have all taken a 21 win team this year ALMOST no matter how those 21 wins happened. This would be the exception to that...

I predict Cook is gone. I think Dailey and Moss might go. Dailey transfers and Moss moves on from college basketball.

Connor isn’t going anywhere. Fran isn’t going anywhere.

Bonus - I think Cook plays with energy and passion in the postseason...BTT & NCAA. Lots of players go from off the radar to NBA draft picks by showcasing themselves in the postseason.

I don’t think Cook is getting drafted. But I could see him thinking this is his time to shine, attack the rim, rebound, make FTs and defend a little. If I’m his coach I’m using this “NBA Springboard” concept to get him pumped for the rest of his college career.

I actually was giving you shit for saying he was going to be a major contributor this year in the off season. I was still giving you shit either way. :)
He had some flashes last year and thought he would put it all together. He shot the ball well last year and now can’t hit a jump shot. Has lost all confidence. I was way off on the prediction. Maybe it was more of hope than anything, because we all know what we are going to get with Moss.

We need to look at the transfer route in the offseason but that’s not in Fran’s DNA.

He had some flashes last year and thought he would put it all together. He shot the ball well last year and now can’t hit a jump shot. Has lost all confidence. I was way off on the prediction. Maybe it was more of hope than anything, because we all know what we are going to get with Moss.

We need to look at the transfer route in the offseason but that’s not in Fran’s DNA.

it's not - Iowa is what it is unfortunately and we as fans just kind of have to lay back and take it.

Latest posts