"The only good gopher is a dead gopher"...official Iowa @ Minnesota Game thread

Man, it was an ugly game. Felt like I was watching an Iowa football game, and letting Minny hang around. Our first half shooting was hot garbage. Especially with the amount of turnovers we were getting.

Allowed the Gophers to hang around. I think we appeared in control most of the game, but it was definitely ugly to watch. Although, it's win. I suppose it showed we can get a win despite not playing our best game. On to the next.

What's up with Perkins? He vanishes for multiple games, then scores 32 points in a game, then vanishes again.

You talking about This Guy

Iowa vs. Iowa State men's basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena

Every player has ups and downs

He going to B alright down the stretch

:cool:

The women damn need got to 100 after 3 quarters. Crazy game.
The Iowa women have great coaching, shooting, offensive scheme with post play etc.. They have a team that very well can compete. The question is how this team and athletes will match up with a very athletic team in the NCAA. I always think that is the case with them.

He's just such a bad shooter and finisher at the rim. He can get a shot whenever he wants but it's not a winning play for thos team because he can't make them enough. He's at least smart enough to recognize it and limits his shooting except for the rare nights where he's on fire.
While he has been inconsistent, can you name three guards in the Fran era that have been better at finishing at the rim than Perkins? In my opinion, that's what makes his ceiling (and the Hawks' ceiling) relatively high...when he's playing well and going to the hole. Something the Hawks rarely get out of their backcourt, going all the way back to the Davis years (once Raveling's recruits were gone).

Defensively he was yeah.. He sucks on D big time. He can't matchup with anyone bigger smaller his size it doesn't matter. If he can't hit shots he's damn near worthless.
You need to learn more about basketball. In fact, a lot more.

You need to learn more about basketball. In fact, a lot more.
Because I've observed that Sandfort can't stay in front of literally anyone and gives up points and fouls like crazy? I mean he can rebound a little bit but beyond that help me read between the box scores of what other things he does of value? When he's hot he's invaluable for sure. But even that comes with a cost at the other end and it's a crapshoot game to game witch Sandfort is going to show up as far as shooting goes. He's had like 4 or 5 good games so far I'd say shooting wise out of like 25 games so far?

I mean say what you want about JBo he had his bad games here and there too but he rarely had 2 in a row or anywhere near this streaky bad. And he was a leader ball handler and could run the offense. Even if he was a defensive liability he did more then just shoot at the offensive end. Can we say anything of the sort about Sandfort? Here's to hoping he shoots well going forward...

The Iowa women have great coaching, shooting, offensive scheme with post play etc.. They have a team that very well can compete. The question is how this team and athletes will match up with a very athletic team in the NCAA. I always think that is the case with them.
The freshman post is the missing piece this team needed to compete with those teams. The last few years Iowa had basically no shot against any 1 seed. This year there's only one team that we don't have much of a chance against.

While he has been inconsistent, can you name three guards in the Fran era that have been better at finishing at the rim than Perkins? In my opinion, that's what makes his ceiling (and the Hawks' ceiling) relatively high...when he's playing well and going to the hole. Something the Hawks rarely get out of their backcourt, going all the way back to the Davis years (once Raveling's recruits were gone).
Perkins is by far the best Fran guard at getting to the rim. He's very possibly the best at finishing when he gets there too. The problem is, that's not saying much. I think what makes it look worse than it probably is is he he makes it look so easy right up to the point where he shoots it because he's so explosive. It makes the misses look even worse because they look like really easy shots. If he could get better at finishing those shots, he would be one of the best guards in the conference and probably Fran's next 1st teamer.

Because I've observed that Sandfort can't stay in front of literally anyone and gives up points and fouls like crazy? I mean he can rebound a little bit but beyond that help me read between the box scores of what other things he does of value? When he's hot he's invaluable for sure. But even that comes with a cost at the other end and it's a crapshoot game to game witch Sandfort is going to show up as far as shooting goes. He's had like 4 or 5 good games so far I'd say shooting wise out of like 25 games so far?

I mean say what you want about JBo he had his bad games here and there too but he rarely had 2 in a row or anywhere near this streaky bad. And he was a leader ball handler and could run the offense. Even if he was a defensive liability he did more then just shoot at the offensive end. Can we say anything of the sort about Sandfort? Here's to hoping he shoots well going forward...
Just re-read my response to your initial post. Nothing has changed.

Latest posts