The Official...Hey, Iowa's playing Southern Utah Thread

We were not quick enough to stop their dribble drives and they dished out to an open shooter. That will be a problem till we recruit more quickness. Locure?

If we could just erase the 2 Big 10 games and play them later, we would be sitting at 7-4 right now and I would still be hoping for a good conference run. Having already played and lost those 2 games just kills any chance we might have had.

I don't completely disagree with you - but 2 or 3 years ago when Nebraska made the tourney, they were like 8-4 in the non con - started off 0-4 in the conference and made the dance. I am in no way saying that Iowa is going to make the dance. I don't really have hope of that anymore. But I will say this... it is possible that this team may peak the 2nd half of the season, go on a tear and at least get back on the bubble talk and NIT. It's highly unlikely, just saying...it's not entirely impossible.

I don't completely disagree with you - but 2 or 3 years ago when Nebraska made the tourney, they were like 8-4 in the non con - started off 0-4 in the conference and made the dance. I am in no way saying that Iowa is going to make the dance. I don't really have hope of that anymore. But I will say this... it is possible that this team may peak the 2nd half of the season, go on a tear and at least get back on the bubble talk and NIT. It's highly unlikely, just saying...it's not entirely impossible.

It would definitely take some breaks. Need to catch fire at the right time and catch teams on off nights. I do think that when we play our best, there are only a couple teams better. We need to stay playing good all year and win at least 75% of the 50/50 games.

It would definitely take some breaks. Need to catch fire at the right time and catch teams on off nights. I do think that when we play our best, there are only a couple teams better. We need to stay playing good all year and win at least 75% of the 50/50 games.

I agree, it's a very long shot. That's why I've come to grips with just watching the rest of the season and looking for growth and positives things. All I am saying is... lots of teams tank at portions of the season. Some teams do it early, some do it late and hold on for dear life. We've seen a couple of Fran's teams tank to finish out the year after coming out gang busters to start the year.That's not a trend as we've discussed as he's had some teams play very good down the stretch and also know he's had teams kind of stumble out of the gate. It's just NOT impossible for this team to still flash what everyone thought it would be. It's hope more than anything from me, but they have played better IMO since the ISU game.

I agree, it's a very long shot. That's why I've come to grips with just watching the rest of the season and looking for growth and positives things. All I am saying is... lots of teams tank at portions of the season. Some teams do it early, some do it late and hold on for dear life. We've seen a couple of Fran's teams tank to finish out the year after coming out gang busters to start the year.That's not a trend as we've discussed as he's had some teams play very good down the stretch and also know he's had teams kind of stumble out of the gate. It's just NOT impossible for this team to still flash what everyone thought it would be. It's hope more than anything from me, but they have played better IMO since the ISU game.

True, but the competition since the ISU game has been Southern, Drake, and Southern Utah. Cupcakes tend to make you look better...

I think the Colorado game will tell us quite a bit. Win these next couple and look pretty good doing it, and beat Michigan, then I'll be feeling more optimistic.

Not trying to be a downer, just saying that I want to see Iowa play well against better competition first.

Last edited:
True, but the competition since the ISU game has been Southern, Drake, and Southern Utah. Cupcakes tend to make you look better...

I think the Colorado game will tell us quite a bit. Win these next couple and look pretty good doing it, and beat Michigan, then I'll be feeling more optimistic.

Not trying to be a downer, just saying that I want to see Iowa play well against better competition first.

100% agree... that's why I'm saying that I don't expect a miracle ... it's just not uncommon in college hoops for teams to go through spurts where they aren't playing good basketball and can't seem to beat anyone. It happens a lot and can happen at the beginning, end or even in the middle of the year. The optimist in me still hopes they can turn it around and have a respectable season. I know the NCAA is a complete long shot, but this is college sports we're talking about. Very rarely does anything go as planned.

Considering we looked like dog shit against bad competition earlier in the year, I'd say looking good against bad teams is a huge improvement. Even in our 3 wins to start the year we looked bad.

Latest posts