The official competition ramps up: Iowa @ Michigan game thread

Fran’s teams have historically struggled on the road and they have this year with losses at Rutgers and PSU. Iowa now has TWO quad 1 wins and both are on the road.
Not as much as you might think. Look it up. We have a chance to break even in conference road games Sunday, and got one at Virginia. We were 6-4 last year, should have been 8-2. At least one of the Gesell/Uthoff teams did OK there, as did the 2017 team.

Mr. Davis's 90's teams, THEY struggled on the road in conference.

Wanted to wait until we won before I said this, but that was the worst officiating we've had this year.
It will be worse Sunday. Cockburn will be allowed to crash over backs and camp out in the lane.

I like the early strategy last night of Rebraca running their bigs up and down the court and getting them winded and that could be the ticket for a Sunday win. Make that big dinglesnort RUN.

Last edited:
As long as Keegan has no fouls he HAS to be on the floor. It goes beyond his scoring. He opens the floor up like Moses parting the Red Sea.

Phil, Ulis, and Toussaint on the floor at the same time is bad juju.
Who knows HOW many losses could directly be attributed to Keegan foul trouble?

Not to mention missing the early Purdue game (ankle) that we probably win with him playing.

Keegan avoiding first half foul trouble has been uuuuuuge!

Where oh where has my Iowa gone? I know...
1646402316633.png1646402415984.png
...that was not Covid. Fran was replaced by a pod person! No more up and down, 9 lead changes, leading at half by 3 when it should be 10. No more failure to stem the tide till the lead is all gone. No more fighting back furiously at the end after getting down more than they should.

Thank you pod Fran! ;)

BTW, Dickinson did become a fat cat after last year. Dude is out of shape! Enjoy the NIT!

Last edited:
Patrick’s got two 3s blocked cleanly so far and fallen down about three times. Trying to force it when we don’t need to.
That one shot he got blocked was so dumb.. Considering JBo was on a heater get the ball back to him on that possession geez. PMs decision making is so anti coaches kid sometimes it's crazy. I'm just glad to nitpick over something like that in a W

Interesting that Sandfort never saw the floor last night.

It's March, time to ball up or go home. Peyton had a brief flurry a few weeks ago, then reverted back to being a freshman, along with some poor decision making.

The bad decisions were what put him on the bench again.. It's all part of the maturation process. He'll learn, and he's a big time talent. He's got the potential to be Luke Recker, Joe Wieskamp.

That one shot he got blocked was so dumb.. Considering JBo was on a heater get the ball back to him on that possession geez. PMs decision making is so anti coaches kid sometimes it's crazy. I'm just glad to nitpick over something like that in a W
Yep Connor is indeed a coaches kid. What happened to PMac? :)

I know. He was taller than everyone else for a while and could do those things. In the B1G he doesn't have that advantage and he get swatted doing what he used to get away with against weaker competition. Supposed to learn what you can't do anymore and make adjustments. Keep doing some of those things and..."SWAT".

Last edited:
Yep Connor is indeed a coaches kid. What happened to PMac? :)

I know. He was taller than everyone else for a while and could do those things. In the B1G he doesn't have that advantage and he get swatted doing what he used to get away with against weaker competition. Supposed to learn what you can't do anymore and make adjustments. Keep doing some of those things and..."SWAT".
PMs shot selection leaves a lot to be desired sometimes. I really wish he'd quit shooting those off one foot floating to his left shots. He falls in love with those and the degree of difficulty on them is so high. He actually hit one yesterday. He can hit them when he's got the right angle to bank them in and is under a little bit of control. But more often than not he's just not.

PMs shot selection leaves a lot to be desired sometimes. I really wish he'd quit shooting those off one foot floating to his left shots. He falls in love with those and the degree of difficulty on them is so high. He actually hit one yesterday. He can hit them when he's got the right angle to bank them in and is under a little bit of control. But more often than not he's just not.
He did those same shots in high school and I commented then it wouldn't fly against major college competition.

It's a mixed bag, but it's also telling that he wasn't out there late in the game last night. Kris was. And Fran, constantly criticized on these boards for playing his kids too much, made the correct move there. It was Kris who hit the biggest shot of the night.

He did those same shots in high school and I commented then it wouldn't fly against major college competition.

It's a mixed bag, but it's also telling that he wasn't out there late in the game last night. Kris was. And Fran, constantly criticized on these boards for playing his kids too much, made the correct move there. It was Kris who hit the biggest shot of the night.
When he's playing well though he's a hell of a talent, so I don't want this to come off as I'm bashing the kid. It's just a noticeable part of his game I wish he'd clean up.

My favorite lineup that we have they had out there for a little while and that was JBo and the 2 sets of bros. I didn't think we'd see that against that tall lineup of Michigans but against other teams for sure I think that's one hell of a tough group to play against. Especially with CM hitting 3s and playing the way he does overall. I hope it's a sign of things to come

When he's playing well though he's a hell of a talent, so I don't want this to come off as I'm bashing the kid. It's just a noticeable part of his game I wish he'd clean up.

My favorite lineup that we have they had out there for a little while and that was JBo and the 2 sets of bros. I didn't think we'd see that against that tall lineup of Michigans but against other teams for sure I think that's one hell of a tough group to play against. Especially with CM hitting 3s and playing the way he does overall. I hope it's a sign of things to come
At his best he can be a match-up nightmare. Last night was one of those games where he was struggling a little bit, and Kris wasn't. Fran made the obvious, and correct move.

At his best he can be a match-up nightmare. Last night was one of those games where he was struggling a little bit, and Kris wasn't. Fran made the obvious, and correct move.
Kris is so damn good too. Not as consistent as his bro yet but it's there. I started a thread a little while ago asking how worried should we be about him leaving too? If he keeps this up down the stretch I could see him test the waters

I didn’t wait, they came out in the second half and bent over for the crowd. Didn’t matter, Iowa came to play took the game out of their hands.
Had I been in the game thread, I would have been bitching the whole game. By the time I was able to post, the game was almost over. I didn't want people to think I was a closet Clown fan, so I waited.