The O-Line

Is our O-line not a strength anymore? If you look at the numbers we had a good rushing day, but against an FCS team you'd think we could get a better push. I saw more than a few negative yardage plays today where they got d-lineman upfield.
The O Line DOMINATED today?

Most of the best running plays came on the left side. On the right side there was a 320 pound defensive lineman clogging up the play. The OL may have not been great today but it was good to see them working the running game, the way they should have last week. The line play will get better. The mistakes (team overall) probably cost Iowa 18 points.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on the O-line. As stated earlier there were too many negative plays against a much smaller defensive line. Rudock is also getting pressured much more than he should be if our O-line is as good as people say.

What's going to happen when they faced a good d-line?

When you run the ball, and the other team knows you run the ball, it takes more than just the o-line for success.

There were two specific plays, on 1st down, CJF is lined up next to Scherff. CJF has a defender right in front of him (Linebacker?), and he completely whiffs on both plays, resulting in his man making the tackle with either a zero or negative gain for the running back on 1st down. These plays resulted in a 2nd and 10, and a 2nd an 11.

CJF has a great body, is athletic, but he has to start blocking better. His end of the game holding call was ridiculous. If he is going to play and/or have success in the NFL, he is going to need to block better because he is not a speed burner, nor a great runner, and does not have great hands.

Last edited:
also, are we at the point now where we beat our chests for rushing for 300 yards against an FCS team? is that something you hang on your wall as a trophy?

You're losing the narrative, Meat. There is not a single Hawk fan in the world beating their chests today.

important to know that 30% of those yrds came on only 6 carries... oh and we were playing Minnesota State.

Seriously, what is your confidence converting a 2nd or 3yd and 1.... running the ball? We couldn't get any push on that embarrassing 4th and goal. Minn State blew up our line repeatedly

Moste big yardage days have 25 to 35% of the yards come on a few big runs. That is called understanding what an average is.

btw we weren't playing Minnesota state.

Blew up our line repeatedly? Don't think so. They got burned for nearly 300 yards rushing. There were some plays that didn't go well particularly to the right side of the line. But Iowa's Achilles heal was their penalties. Drive killers.

The right side of the line was pitiful. Right guard is a real problem so far. BTW, has Macmillan played?

You're losing the narrative, Meat. There is not a single Hawk fan in the world beating their chests today.

not in a literal sense of course. i mean, if that's the only thing we can hang our hats on, it's sad indeed.

also, Wegher played his first game in 3 years yesterday here in Sioux City. looked pretty good for having all that time off.

Guys, our oline is fine. Let me give you some perspective, in game one last year, we really looked awful against NIU, 6 sacks, and although Bullock had 150 yards, we were exactly dominating what I would call a mid level b10 defense. NIU's defense last year was pretty good though.

Now fast forward to game 5 and 6 last year. We hammered Minnesota on the ground and looked good doing it in game 5. In game six, we beat MSU and their top 10 defense in their house...running the ball and running it late in the game.

It's game 3, if you ask me, our Oline looks so much further ahead at this point. Now we get a road test, and I think we are ready. I don't think ISU has an answer for our running game...and if they stack the box, Rudock appears ready to move the ball around to who's open. We will beat ISU and it will prepare Rudock for the road trip to Minnesota.

Certainly, left guard appears to be a challenge, but I think Donnal is playing his way into the shape he was in last year. I expect him to win that battle eventually. I know people won't cop to it, I thought Missouri State had some pretty good athletes yesterday on the edges. The guy who picked that ball off was kind of a freak. Terry Allen knows what he's doing...do you think he had a plan for the Iowa running game? He had his guys in position all day long and we still had 300 yards rushing.

Latest posts