The O-Line

Is our O-line not a strength anymore? If you look at the numbers we had a good rushing day, but against an FCS team you'd think we could get a better push. I saw more than a few negative yardage plays today where they got d-lineman upfield.

This did concern me a little. This us one position that stays pretty solid(barring injury). I wasn't blown away either game when it seemed like we should dominate. WAY too many offsides and holding as well.

This did concern me a little. This us one position that stays pretty solid(barring injury). I wasn't blown away either game when it seemed like we should dominate. WAY too many offsides and holding as well.

What year would you consider us having a really good o-line... Not a good individual player but an entire starting 5?

Then I will post back our B1G offensive stats for those years. I will give the best one ever under Ferentz's regime - 2002 but after that.

Yes I was yelling at them to challenge that too. Oh did anyone else notice that Weisman was blocked in the back on the interception return? It was right across the Weisman on his jersey I could see it so easily, not even close to being a legal block. Don't even get me started on the "late hit" too while the Missouri State guy had both feet in bounds.

We haven't had a good Oline for a long time. We have had good lineman... never a good line. This year is no exception.

We haven't had a good Oline for a long time. We have had good lineman... never a good line. This year is no exception.

yeah - right on!!! 300 yards rushing and 4 rushing TDs = sucks. Need to play the local HS team OL instead!!!

What year would you consider us having a really good o-line... Not a good individual player but an entire starting 5?

Then I will post back our B1G offensive stats for those years. I will give the best one ever under Ferentz's regime - 2002 but after that.

High standards huh. I think online is solid most years in the past decade or so. You disagree apparently, you have your opinion and are welcome to it.

Anyways I thought the O-line played pretty well. The run blocking was particularly good, 6 yards per carry for Weisman, last week was 5.7 I think. Not too bad at all. Outside of a few plays they were giving Jake enough time. I would like to see some of that to get worked on, and some of the penalties to get cleaned up too.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on the O-line. As stated earlier there were too many negative plays against a much smaller defensive line. Rudock is also getting pressured much more than he should be if our O-line is as good as people say.

What's going to happen when they faced a good d-line?

yeah - right on!!! 300 yards rushing and 4 rushing TDs = sucks. Need to play the local HS team OL instead!!!

important to know that 30% of those yrds came on only 6 carries... oh and we were playing Minnesota State.

Seriously, what is your confidence converting a 2nd or 3yd and 1.... running the ball? We couldn't get any push on that embarrassing 4th and goal. Minn State blew up our line repeatedly

One thing is certain. We need the line to play well if we have any chance at 6 or more. We'll know within the next few weeks.

The offensive line is going to be very good and they did the job today too. You can make the mistakes, penalties they did...it put us behind the chains and killed momentum. It was their first look at a 3-4 in awhile and MS had eight in the box most of the day. Like I said in another thread...we didn't target anything down the field with the WR's, or that I can remember anyway. Rudock had plenty of time too so that was very surprising.

important to know that 30% of those yrds came on only 6 carries... oh and we were playing Minnesota State.

Seriously, what is your confidence converting a 2nd or 3yd and 1.... running the ball? We couldn't get any push on that embarrassing 4th and goal. Minn State blew up our line repeatedly

confidence of running for 1 yard on 3/4th down is higher than throwing the ball the length of the field for a first down - when iowa still would need to convert 2 more first down to get a TD chance. that would suck - taking a big chance and converting - and getting zipped anyway - when a grind the clock situation was in order

Latest posts