The O-Line

MeatMan

Is our O-line not a strength anymore? If you look at the numbers we had a good rushing day, but against an FCS team you'd think we could get a better push. I saw more than a few negative yardage plays today where they got d-lineman upfield.

I agree. We look a little stronger running to the left particularly outside Scherff's left shoulder, but Blythe is marginal as best and or course Van Sloten dripped some diarrhea down his thigh today too.

I agree. We look a little stronger running to the left particularly outside Scherff's left shoulder, but Blythe is marginal as best and or course Van Sloten dripped some diarrhea down his thigh today too.

i didn't get a good enough look to see if anyone in particular was playing poorly. honestly i don't focus on the line much when watching. but in those times (especially the 4th and goal play) where you only need a yard but can't get it against an FCS team, it's just so eye-opening.

There were so many plays I think we could have done better if the RB had just pushed it up field. It seemed like they felt the only way to win was to use their speed on the outside. The O-Line had was pretty good today, and I won't complain. The improvement is that the RB is more willing to take that crease when the zone blocking first develops.

I should be specific - I don't think this was Weisman, this was Bullock and Canzeri.

Weisman looked much better at the end of the game, but at the start he just wasn't able to move the pile like last year. i was wondering if he was injured.

and yes, Bullock and co definitely have a hard time waiting for the blocks to develop. they try to press the issue to much, need to let the blocks happen. maybe that's more the problem.

ngbbs4bbf8b11eb106.jpg

In a zone blocking scheme just man handling and pushing defenders backwards isn't the object. If you can great but it is about utilizing the defenders slant or speed or leverage against them. That is why it is important our rbs read the holes correctly. There is no real assigned hole like most offenses that man block. Instead a rb has a target they run to and as the defense reacts the offensive line should use leverage to create holes. Therefore the rb must read whether to continue on their line, cutback or bounce out. On a 4th and short you would like to just push teams back but it is difficult when they overload the A gap. That is why we typically run the hurry up so they don't have time to setup. Zone blocking is a style that takes continuity from the oline so they can learn on the double team when their helper has leverage and they can get to the second level and even when to let a defender get upfield and use their aggressiveness against them.With that said Weisman broke a couple because the second level was playing tight to the los. Against the better teams he isn't fast enough. He got caught from behind. Daniels in the limited time I saw of him will become the best back of the guys playing right now. If he isn't already, hopefully he keeps his nose clean.

Our hurry-up is just awful. It's a giant cluster ever time they try to do that. Bullock is not a good RB and is a marginal offensive talent at best. On any really good Iowa team from the past this guy would be buried so deep on the bench they would make him buy a ticket just to get into the stadium. On this team, however, he is a key offensive weapon.

Our hurry-up is just awful. It's a giant cluster ever time they try to do that. Bullock is not a good RB and is a marginal offensive talent at best. On any really good Iowa team from the past this guy would be buried so deep on the bench they would make him buy a ticket just to get into the stadium. On this team, however, he is a key offensive weapon.

this is an incredible exaggeration.

I agree. They showed a clip today on the scoreboard of Tavian Banks taking it to the house for 80 yards, and my first thought was, "When did our skill position players get soooooooo slow and unexplosive?"

I agree. They showed a clip today on the scoreboard of Tavian Banks taking it to the house for 80 yards, and my first thought was, "When did our skill position players get soooooooo slow and unexplosive?"

And Tavian sat (rightfully so) behind the great Sedrick Shaw for a couple of seasons. Let that roll around inside your skull for a couple of minutes.

Do not worry. We need to get smaller, less physical but more athletic players on the interior line to make the zone blocking scheme really work. Rumor has it that with the RB depth we have and the inability to get Canzeri on the field he has been asked to switch to guard to improve our athleticism up front.

Banks was an Iowan. When is the last time Iowa high schools produced a talent like that?

Factual data.

Latest posts