The Next Hawkeye Assistant Coach Will Be...

IowaLawWasRight

With coach Francis leaving after 9 years at Iowa, the Hawks have the opportunity to potentially upgrade at the position. While the remainder of the staff are solid, it would be nice to see a young, recognizable former Hawk to the group. I've seen names like Matt Gatens and Jeff Horner floated out there already. While I'm sure we all loved those guys as players, sending a small town Iowa boy with no NBA credibility out on the recruiting trail to connect with inner city athletes is not the best way to maximize the vacant coaching position. The staff is already heavy on Xs and Os, with 3 former head coaches who are more than capable of teaching fundamentals and mentoring. What the staff is missing is an energetic, relatable recruiter.

What's Devyn Marble doing these days? Playing in Europe? Ricky Davis and Reggie Evans are two of the only modern Hawks to see significant playing time in the League? Dean Oliver is a small town kid, but he took the Hawks to the Sweet 16 and played a few years in the NBA. Jess Settles has some clout in Big 10 country I believe Brad Lohaus is a scout for the Spurs and still lives in IC. He should get a look as well.

For the love of all that is Holy ... Can it PLEASE be someone with a little knowledge -- preferably high-level playing experience -- of the 4 and 5 positions??

Hey Coach, I'm available. Just learned the difference between man and zone!

This is an excerpt from a story on TOS:

"...One name to potentially keep in mind for the open assistant position could be Billy Taylor. He is currently the head coach at Belmont Abbey College in Belmont, NC. Prior to that, Taylor, a Chicago area native, served as Iowa’s director of basketball operations for three seasons. His first job as an assistant coach at Notre Dame with McCaffery. He was hired by McCaffery as one of his assistant coaches in 1999 at UNC-Greensboro and then eventually became the head coach at Lehigh and Ball State until 2013."

Q: How about a guy who was BIG Defensive Player of the Year, played in a Final Four, is a BTN Analyst, is very well known to all potential recruits, could recruit Chicago, is as knowledgable as any announcer out there?

A: Steven Bardo.

This is an excerpt from a story on TOS:

"...One name to potentially keep in mind for the open assistant position could be Billy Taylor. He is currently the head coach at Belmont Abbey College in Belmont, NC. Prior to that, Taylor, a Chicago area native, served as Iowa’s director of basketball operations for three seasons. His first job as an assistant coach at Notre Dame with McCaffery. He was hired by McCaffery as one of his assistant coaches in 1999 at UNC-Greensboro and then eventually became the head coach at Lehigh and Ball State until 2013."

I'm hoping this was not taken off of a premium board on TOS.

I've heard Taylor's name. I also think current video coordinator Courtney Eldridge could be a possibility.

For the love of all that is Holy ... Can it PLEASE be someone with a little knowledge -- preferably high-level playing experience -- of the 4 and 5 positions??
Especially with Nunge getting huge, and Garza on the same team with him.

Nunge has the size now to be a legit B1G big man like Michigan/Purdue/Wisconsin always seem to have.