The Mythical Recruiting Disadvantage

I believe that if Iowa had the demographics of Texas,we would recruit better.
Explain how Nebraska, that annually has about as many blue chip recruits as Iowa, recruits so well. Doesn't Iowa have tradition, with KF or even Haden? Or even the same quality of facilities?

how in the hell did this stupid thread get racial? IA doesn't have bling, duh
Like I'm trying to say... Neither does Nebraska. In other words, it should be just as difficult to recruit for Nebraska as it is for Iowa, but you know that's not true.

Last edited:
Explain how Nebraska, that annually has about as many blue chip recruits as Iowa, recruits so well. Doesn't Iowa have tradition, with KF or even Haden? Or even the same quality of facilities?

It's a shame Iowa didn't hire Osborne instead of that Putz Fry. If we had, Iowa would have had all those national championships that Nebraska has and therefore all of that tradition.
As for WVU: They did well in the BigEast, and sucked in their first ear in the Big 12. Thier old coach (Richrod) did even BETTER!. But sucked in the bigten where he couldn't recruit idiots and criminals. I suspect he will do well at Arizona as they and Cal lead the PAC in dummies.

Like I'm trying to say... Neither does Nebraska. In other words, it should be just as difficult to recruit in Nebraska as it is in Iowa, but you know that's not true.

those national championship trophies could be counted as bling...and they have a hell of a lot more of them than iowa.

we get it, you blame kirk. i don't think its that simple. otherwise we would have been a perennial powerhouse before kirk got here. you blame kirk, you blame hayden just the same

Iowa's disadvantage in recruiting isn't because of the state of Iowa, it's because of KF's ultra-conservative offensive and defensive systems. KF says his systems aren't sexy enough for the top recruits. I say his systems don't use the athletic ability of those top recruits and consequently, they go elsewhere. IMO, a game changer isn't an offensive or defensive lineman, or tight end. Not like Timmy Dwight. Besides, KF would never use Dwight to his fullest. He would, for example, make Dwight let the punt roll.
I'm actual surprised we don't lose more because of it. Play makers want to make plays.

those national championship trophies could be counted as bling...and they have a hell of a lot more of them than iowa.

we get it, you blame kirk. i don't think its that simple. otherwise we would have been a perennial powerhouse before kirk got here. you blame kirk, you blame hayden just the same
I give Haden credit for putting Iowa back on the football map nationally. I give KF credit for bringing Iowa back from the depths of Haden's last few years. Yes. I blame KF and Haden, both. Both coaches had teams that were in the top 10 nationally. The following few years, both top 10 teams coached by both KF and Haden 'produced' an abundance of blue chip recruits, but both coaches were unable to maintain that high level of record, and the recruits dribbled away.

exactly my point bling schools have national trophies like AL USC.... IA will never reach that status without a huge crop of instate talent, face it or what it is and enjoy it, why **** and moan forever?

I'm actual surprised we don't lose more because of it. Play makers want to make plays.

Why can't Iowa get a big time Linebacker or DE? Are there some super conservative Ferentz things that don't allow the DE to rush the passer? The most conservative part of the defense is the DB play and Iowa has has quite a bit of talent there over the years "despite" that.

BINGO.

Hayden Fry would not let his team lose to teams like this. (I'm not saying it NEVER happened, I remember Tulsa). But for the most part, Hayden took care of business in these games. He knew what it took to get his teams focused for the opponent ahead...who ever it was. KFz's "punch the clock and go to work" mentality doesn't always work. There are plenty of examples.

if you are looking at results on the field, KF has far exceeded Fry. Not sure why people don't see that when using the 'fry' comparisons. and as far as fry being 'wide open'.....he was extremely conservative in nature. see third down and draw play, and quick kick on 3rd down for starters. And note all those WRs in the Fry era that are dominating the ALL TIME Iowa receiving stats....

Yet, lots of you guys blame the offense. Blame KOK. Doesn't make sense. You can't blame the offense because they don't make plays then blame playmakers because they want to make plays.

exactly my point bling schools have national trophies like AL USC.... IA will never reach that status without a huge crop of instate talent, face it or what it is and enjoy it, why **** and moan forever?
Nebraska did with the same crop of instate recruits as Iowa.

Last edited:
Why can't Iowa get a big time Linebacker or DE? Are there some super conservative Ferentz things that don't allow the DE to rush the passer? The most conservative part of the defense is the DB play and Iowa has has quite a bit of talent there over the years "despite" that.
I think I've already posted this: linebackers and DEs aren't game changers. Game changers change games and play makers make plays. A game changer is also a play maker. And certainly in Iowa's defensive scheme under KF, no one player is a game changer. No, KF wouldn't allow that.

Last edited:
Iowa's disadvantage in recruiting isn't because of the state of Iowa, it's because of KF's ultra-conservative offensive and defensive systems. KF says his systems aren't sexy enough for the top recruits. I say his systems don't use the athletic ability of those top recruits and consequently, they go elsewhere. IMO, a game changer isn't an offensive or defensive lineman, or tight end. Not like Timmy Dwight. Besides, KF would never use Dwight to his fullest. He would, for example, make Dwight let the punt roll.

This is good stuff. So you are saying that Fry used the likes of Banks and TD to their fullest? That explains then why TD has all those receiving records. Because of he playing under the 'wide open' Fry he was really able to maximize his talents. That would also explain why guys under the 'ultra-conservative' Ferentz have no chance at ever sniffing the WR record books. Glad that is cleared up.

The irony in your post and in others, is that people had the same 'biatch and moan' fest over Fry with him being too conservative, not using guys like TD and Banks to their fullest, etc. It's really quit comical, actually.

QUOTE=imported_ankle23;1148777]This is good stuff. So you are saying that Fry used the likes of Banks and TD to their fullest? That explains then why TD has all those receiving records. Because of he playing under the 'wide open' Fry he was really able to maximize his talents. That would also explain why guys under the 'ultra-conservative' Ferentz have no chance at ever sniffing the WR record books. Glad that is cleared up.

The irony in your post and in others, is that people had the same 'biatch and moan' fest over Fry with him being too conservative, not using guys like TD and Banks to their fullest, etc. It's really quit comical, actually.[/QUOTE] Hayden did use Banks and Timmy more to their fullest than KF would ever dream. The problem was: Hayden's teams could never maintain a high finish, and the recruits dribbled away.

Nebraska did with the same crop of instate recruits as Iowa.

and your point is? Ferentz bashing or what? Either you got it or don't and wo bling you have to go instate and hope you can recruit some oos with some good coaches otherwise you're IA a midlevel team. Which I can handle. I love Kinnick................ Some people want to complain about everything instead of enjoy what a great program we have.

QUOTE=imported_ankle23;1148777]This is good stuff. So you are saying that Fry used the likes of Banks and TD to their fullest? That explains then why TD has all those receiving records. Because of he playing under the 'wide open' Fry he was really able to maximize his talents. That would also explain why guys under the 'ultra-conservative' Ferentz have no chance at ever sniffing the WR record books. Glad that is cleared up.

The irony in your post and in others, is that people had the same 'biatch and moan' fest over Fry with him being too conservative, not using guys like TD and Banks to their fullest, etc. It's really quit comical, actually.
Hayden did use Banks and Timmy more to their fullest than KF would ever dream. The problem was: Hayden's teams could never maintain a high finish, and the recruits dribbled away.[/QUOTE]

please explain then, in your simplest terms, why ferentz' WRs dominate the WR records. And not just one of them. djk, mcnutt, hinkel all own WR records. please explain why a superhuman like TD, and a explosive offensive coach like Fry could not combine to put TD out of reach in the record books. And then why a conservative fool like KF, who would certainly mismanage the offensive weaponry Fry had, could take some converted QBs and own the offensive record books.......

Latest posts