The Music Scrimage Bowl

Two words…

Jake, and Butt.
Two more words: extremely rare. I get the sitting out thing, but you can get injured any time. There's nothing magically dangerous about a bowl game. Why not sit out once your team is 3-7 or out of title contention?

As for the bowl trip, it's not exactly the B1G title game, but it is a fun trip for the players and fans. Don't forget that these are still 18-23 year old guys. Most have probably never been to Nashville or Tampa or whatever bowl location it might be. They have a good time as a reward for the long season and get to hang out together one more time before the season ends.

I think this one could actually be entertaining because of all the unknowns.

That is what I was thinking. The bowls in the past used to be a nice benefit and going out game for the upperclassman. Now, its a game to get and vet young players to see what ya got in game experience.

Lol. I see some of these bowl games going away due to the $$$ it takes to put them on if less fans go. I'm not opposed to it. They need to get the number down to where it is an acknowledgement for a team to be invited to play in. There should be like 15 of them outside the playoff games.

That is what I was thinking. The bowls in the past used to be a nice benefit and going out game for the upperclassman. Now, its a game to get and vet young players to see what ya got in game experience.

Lol. I see some of these bowl games going away due to the $$$ it takes to put them on if less fans go. I'm not opposed to it. They need to get the number down to where it is an acknowledgement for a team to be invited to play in. There should be like 15 of them outside the playoff games.
6-6 teams don't belong in bowl games.

Meh, I'm a pretty fucking die-hard fan but there's not a chance in hell I would let my kid play in this game if he was as good as Jack Campbell. Say you get to the fourth or fifth practice and you see that this will be a repeat of the bowl game we had against LSU where we didn't cross the 50 - why would anyone on the defense who has draft prospects risk themselves for the game? It makes no sense. Not for this team, not in this circumstance. These guys have a finite number of hits they can take and there's no sense wasting them on this turd of a game.

You are one play away from rolling your ankle on a desperate clumsy 4th string player trying to break into the 3 deep, and losing out on a very lucrative contract.

You are one play away from rolling your ankle on a desperate clumsy 4th string player trying to break into the 3 deep, and losing out on a very lucrative contract

Agreed.

Really, this is a no-brainer.

There is generational wealth at stake.
If you think (have researched) you'll be drafted into that type of money, **bypass a worthless exhibition game.**

In Campbell's case, his play this year has more than helped get Iowa to this bowl game.
He's done enough. Especially with this putrid (being kind) offense being trotted on the field game after game.
He really doesn't have anything left to prove.

Don't be blinded by some mis-guided sense of loyalty. It only goes one way in college athletics.

The time slot is perfect. Saturday noon kickoff on New Year's eve. You are basically a lead in to the College Football playoff. This game might get 4 million viewers when it has no business doing so. So yeah, I am hoping that they take it a little more serious than a Spring practice.

Bowl games eroding to a completely different event then what we've experienced in the past 30 years. Players don't want to play. Product is becoming a sideshow thing that doesn't mean much , reduced value. Downward trajectory following the cash flow. I can see it in the future as background noise while we play euchre.

Bowl games eroding to a completely different event then what we've experienced in the past 30 years. Players don't want to play. Product is becoming a sideshow thing that doesn't mean much , reduced value. Downward trajectory following the cash flow. I can see it in the future as background noise while we play euchre.
Bull shit. How in the hell did you conclude that players don’t want to play? Value to who ? Extra practices, gift to players and fans, good publicity for recruiting purposes. Go ahead and play cards. I will watch Iowa vs Kentucky, thank you.

The guy that should not play is LaPorta, coming off an injury and maybe not 100%. He deserves his payday.

Bull shit. How in the hell did you conclude that players don’t want to play? Value to who ? Extra practices, gift to players and fans, good publicity for recruiting purposes. Go ahead and play cards. I will watch Iowa vs Kentucky, thank you.
I'll be watching as well. If you don't see more and more players dropping out of these games you must not be watching very closely. Yes, tons of value and publicity for the team only to have more and more skip the game for future money and now for the portal. The times they are a changing.

I'll be watching as well. If you don't see more and more players dropping out of these games you must not be watching very closely. Yes, tons of value and publicity for the team only to have more and more skip the game for future money and now for the portal. The times they are a changing.
Nope. Until you give me some opt out numbers to show a meaningful trend, I still call BS.

Nope. Until you give me some opt out numbers to show a meaningful trend, I still call BS.
Losing 2 starters of NFL potential is a huge loss for any team. You don't need numbers.

The world is changing. One of these days trains. NCAA football will change. Life changes.

1670516232900.png

Will Levis sitting out.

Chris Rodriguez sitting out.

No Petras.

No Padilla.

No Keagan Johnson.

No Arland Bruce.

Levis and Rodriguez were 78% of the team's total offense.

It's going to be a ridiculous pillow fight exhibition "game."

Games like this are HOPEFULLY going to be the death knell of these stupid bowl games. Eventually sponsors are going to see that it doesn't make sense for Duke's Mayo or Bad Boy Mowers or Gasparilla to pay millions in sponsorship cash when the stands are 1/3 full of geriatric boomers complaining about not enough bathrooms in stadiums and coffee that's too expensive.

Can't come fast enough for me.

The dozen prestigious bowls from the golden age is all we need. You know, where you actually had to be a good team to get in instead of just .500.

Games like this are HOPEFULLY going to be the death knell of these stupid bowl games. Eventually sponsors are going to see that it doesn't make sense for Duke's Mayo or Bad Boy Mowers or Gasparilla to pay millions in sponsorship cash when the stands are 1/3 full of geriatric boomers complaining about not enough bathrooms in stadiums and coffee that's too expensive.

Can't come fast enough for me.

The dozen prestigious bowls from the golden age is all we need. You know, where you actually had to be a good team to get in instead of just .500.

I think other changes to CFB need to go along with that. They need to rethink restrictions on Coach/Athlete contact. If they are now pro athletes, let's create a system that allows them to get pro-level training year round. This idea of qualifying for a bowl and earning extra practices is pretty silly.

But along with that, there need to be restrictions on what can be done during these contact periods to protect the young athletes from "old school" coaches applying outdated, draconian practices. Something like that is collectively bargained in the NFL...not sure how you accomplish it here, but it needs to be done.

Ultimately, the newly available ability for student-athletes to vote with their feet is going to encourage programs to find the balance between treating their athletes right and optimizing performance. The only major drawback is going to be the fact that the voting is going to be done by 18-20 year olds with minimal knowledge of what it takes to perform at the highest levels and who are easily distracted by shiny objects. That will be a tricky tightrope, and one that will need to be managed with lots of transparency, education, and empowerment.

This got me thinking. How do NIL contracts work if a player opts out of a bowl game? Do they still get all their NIL money that they agreed to?

This got me thinking. How do NIL contracts work if a player opts out of a bowl game? Do they still get all their NIL money that they agreed to?
I would think so, since the NIL is agreed to with non-school entities and are contracts. So unless the opt out is specifically penalized in the contract, guessing they get that whole years' worth of income.