The Most Hilarious Husker Article I’ve Ever Read

Their first mistake was firing Solich. He was 58-19 (75% winning %) over 6 years. The second mistake was firing Pelini. He was 93-50 (65% winning %). Since then they are 27-31 (47% winning %).

Yeah, they didn't realize how good of a coach Solich was since he immediately followed Osborne. Since then he's done very well at Ohio in the MAC, he turned that once really bad mid major into a pretty good football program.

Well I only remember about 5-7 years of it. It was so bad then that even the crusty Woody Hayes, after one of those 45-6 type beat downs, would feel sorry for Iowa and try and say something complimentary.

Ironically, it was one of the reasons that brought Fry to Iowa. Hayden and Bill Brasher were from the same area/town in Texas. Hayden made a statement to Bill about taking the Iowa coaching job. Bill asked Hayden, paraphrase "Why the hell would you want to take the Iowa job.....". Hayden showed him a tape of an Iowa game showing fans still filling Kinnick stadium and responded, paraphrase "You see all those fans? Just image if they were rooting for a winning team".

Nebraska has finished ranked twice since joining the B1G. 24 in 2011 and 25 in 2012. Scott Frost May not need to adapt to the B1G, but the program does.

Things go sideways for the mid tier teams in the conference when they can’t figure out how to beat the teams below them. Nebraska has, in a vary short period of time, found a way to be below Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, and Minnesota. They run smack against Purdue and Indiana and get beat. Heck, Illinois even looks like it’s closing the gap.

Their first mistake was firing Solich. He was 58-19 (75% winning %) over 6 years. The second mistake was firing Pelini. He was 93-50 (65% winning %). Since then they are 27-31 (47% winning %).

Pelini was to far over the top.
They didnt beat ISU to win the Natty. They beat great teams to do so.

Well when you only have a couple of games against any competition, your odds go up.
8 games against competition makes running the table harder than 6 games against the worst in the p5 and 2 against competition
You make good points. One thing that I'd like to add is while Nebraska is in the smallest populated state they are also the only major D1 football program in their state. They really don't compete with anyone else for in-state recruits, they automatically land all the best recruits in their state and many of them come out of their 2 biggest metro areas (Lincoln and Omaha). Within 50 miles of their campus they have a population base over over 1.5 million to recruit from. In comparison here in Iowa, the 2nd smallest populated state, there are 2 power 5 conference teams. On their current roster 26 of their players are from Lincoln and Omaha, 69 players are from Nebraska.

Now I'm not going to say that's why they were so successful all those years, Nebraska alone doesn't produce enough D1 football talent, they recruit from all over but it's certainly helped. The fact that 69 of their players on the roster today are in-state recruits might be part of the problem as they are not getting as many recruits from out of state anymore. But every year when they fill out their recruiting class they start with all the top talent within their own state, I think that's an advantage.

Plus eastern Colorado, plus South Dakota, plus Kansas. It may be rural, but that is a big patch of land with nobody competing against you for players.

Well I only remember about 5-7 years of it. It was so bad then that even the crusty Woody Hayes, after one of those 45-6 type beat downs, would feel sorry for Iowa and try and say something complimentary.
I remember, as a boy scout, holding the ropes on the field, during an OSU (Archie Griffin OSU days). That was brutal, but it was Iowa football back then

Nebraska has finished ranked twice since joining the B1G. 24 in 2011 and 25 in 2012. Scott Frost May not need to adapt to the B1G, but the program does.

They were 25th by the coaches in 2013 as well.

How many times have the Hawks finished ranked since Nebby joined? 2

They've won more games than the Hawks 5 of the 8 years

Iowa leads in total W's 63 to 60, thanks to the last 2 years.

They were 25th by the coaches in 2013 as well.

How many times have the Hawks finished ranked since Nebby joined? 2

They've won more games than the Hawks 5 of the 8 years

Iowa leads in total W's 63 to 60, thanks to the last 2 years.

only twice, last year finished last year at 25 and 2015 finished 9th

Pelini was to far over the top.
He was exactly right; Pelini just said the truth that Solich and Callahan were thinking.

I actually admire Pelini for his outburst about the fans. They're all insufferable fair-weather douche bags, and he said it. He also said it in what he thought was private.

I 100% guarantee you Kirk, Brian, and even Hayden Fry said way worse things over the course of the years than what ultimately got Pelini fired. All he did was call a spade a spade and I respect that.

Latest posts