The Mayor picks off another transfer

His role is already expendable, look at the Iowa game. Down your second best player, who plays the same position as Thomas and he only gets 12 mins. Same with Arkansas, plays 12 pretty much invisible minutes, doesn't even score against Southern or UMKC.

With the roster that has been built, almost everyone (save for Morris) is somewhat expendable. BDJ is one of, if not the best, players on the roster, and the team fairly easily overcame his absence.

As I said, you may end up being correct, but I think Thomas will be a four-year guy, and will have big games this year and in the future.

No, not at all it wasn't. It was going about business in a mid major mindset. Fran wanted Ulis and missed, so as a mid major program coach you build from the ground up and move onto your next target......which was LaChance, who also would have been a good get, yet Fran missed again......so Fran goes to the well one more time when he shouldn't have and got Dickerson. Total mid major mindset....

Yeah, that's how it went...I forgot about Ulis. So essentially, Ulis was the recruiting over attempt.

Point is, all coaches should be trying to recruit over guys. Why try and recruit a guy that you think will be worse than the guy you already have?
That is how you build a team that pushes each other and improves.

No, not at all it wasn't. It was going about business in a mid major mindset. Fran wanted Ulis and missed, so as a mid major program coach you build from the ground up and move onto your next target......which was LaChance, who also would have been a good get, yet Fran missed again......so Fran goes to the well one more time when he shouldn't have and got Dickerson. Total mid major mindset....

What the **** are you talking about? Fran missed on two top 100 pg's in Ullis and LaChance, then landed the top rated juco pg in the country in Dickerson. How is that a mid major mindset? That's what all coaches do, if you don't get your first guy, you fall back to your next recruit. Same thing Izzo did when he missed on Tyus Jones and a couple other targets and ended up Lourawls Narin and is now losing games to Texas Southern. Total mid major mindset...

At the time of the 2 hires anyone who said Fred would be better was basing that on a hope and a prayer. He had no track record, there was no evidence as to what Fred would be. I mean Pollard/ISU hit the lottery, and that is luck, not skill.

It has panned out beyond my wildest dreams, but it is not all luck. Pollard knew that Fred was smart, well-tutored, personable, and knows basketball. It took some big cajones to pull the trigger on the hire with Fred having no coaching experience, but hiring is a lot of "gut feeling" anyway.

What blows me away is that the original knock on Hoiberg was poor in-game, Xs and Os kind of stuff, and in a short time, he has become great at that.

I see Thomas staying at least through next year. Even with Naz, Cooke and Burton, I see Thomas's role increasing next year. Burton will have to sit the fist semester, so that gives Thomas a great opportunity to increase his role.

If he can't break out next year, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to think he might look elsewhere for increased role.

At the time of the 2 hires anyone who said Fred would be better was basing that on a hope and a prayer. He had no track record, there was no evidence as to what Fred would be. I mean Pollard/ISU hit the lottery, and that is luck, not skill.
You hit the nail on the head there. Fred really saved JP. I think Pollard is kind of a joke, but after hitting the lottery with Fred, and the CPR speeches, clone fans seem to love him, and more importantly have donated some money. I wouldn't want him hiring my next coach any more than I would want Barta making the decision.

Yeah, that's how it went...I forgot about Ulis. So essentially, Ulis was the recruiting over attempt.

Point is, all coaches should be trying to recruit over guys. Why try and recruit a guy that you think will be worse than the guy you already have?
That is how you build a team that pushes each other and improves.

Yep, I have no idea why a coach wouldn't try to always recruit the best possible players.. Obviously you'd better have a plan B, C, D, etc. for if (or when) you miss on your top target. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

What I don't want to see is Iowa throwing away scholarships on total projects just because they can't get anyone better. If that's the case, you'd better figure out ways to seal the deal on these guys, or replace your assistants with guys who CAN recruit, etc.

What the **** are you talking about? Fran missed on two top 100 pg's in Ullis and LaChance, then landed the top rated juco pg in the country in Dickerson. How is that a mid major mindset? That's what all coaches do, if you don't get your first guy, you fall back to your next recruit. Same thing Izzo did when he missed on Tyus Jones and a couple other targets and ended up Lourawls Narin and is now losing games to Texas Southern. Total mid major mindset...

Going after Ulis and LaChance was what he should do. The problem is he couldn't think outside of the box after those guys. Dickerson was a stretch. Sure he was a top rated JUCO, but whar were his offers then???? His only decent offer was Nebby and Iowa, the others were N. Texas, Toledo, UAB, etc.

It has panned out beyond my wildest dreams, but it is not all luck. Pollard knew that Fred was smart, well-tutored, personable, and knows basketball. It took some big cajones to pull the trigger on the hire with Fred having no coaching experience, but hiring is a lot of "gut feeling" anyway.

What blows me away is that the original knock on Hoiberg was poor in-game, Xs and Os kind of stuff, and in a short time, he has become great at that.

I can't say I know much about Fred's assistants, but what's the scoop there? Good X's and O's guys who have helped with that?

In my mind, you have to surround yourself with the best assistants you can, because you can't do it all yourself. That includes recruiting. That's one topic I never see brought up on Iowa's message boards, is our assistants. So I don't know if our assistants are getting it done... Or not.

Yep, I have no idea why a coach wouldn't try to always recruit the best possible players.. Obviously you'd better have a plan B, C, D, etc. for if (or when) you miss on your top target. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

What I don't want to see is Iowa throwing away scholarships on total projects just because they can't get anyone better. If that's the case, you'd better figure out ways to seal the deal on these guys, or replace your assistants with guys who CAN recruit, etc.

I think a project here and there is OK. ISU has Tsalmpouris, who needs some time to build up his body, but could be a weapon in a year or two. This day and age, everyone expects players to come right in and contribute, but the team does need good guys on the practice squad, and some guys just aren't ready for big time competition right away.

That is an overlooked benefit to taking on transfers...you get a heckuva practice squad that is sitting out and whose only job is to work on their game for a year and push the eligible players in practice.

I think its funny how some people are so anti-transfer just because its ISU. If the Hawks were doing the same thing, having the same results, there wouldn't be a bad word about it.

Pure luck. The fact that a AD hired a guy with ZERO experience is actually a joke. Pollard hit the lottery, pure and simple. Hiring qualified guys can' be a crap shot.....see (Chizik, McDermott, Lick, and 100's of others around the country).......Hiring someone without any coaching experience at any level is really a joke.

Pollard hit the lottery plain and simple. Great for him and ISU, but Fred deserves all the credit, Pollard should be laughed at, as the rest of his hires have shown......McD, Chizik, and Rhoads.

You are trying to argue that winning the lottery is skill....just stop embarrassing yourself, you can't win this argument.

I can't say I know much about Fred's assistants, but what's the scoop there? Good X's and O's guys who have helped with that?

In my mind, you have to surround yourself with the best assistants you can, because you can't do it all yourself. That includes recruiting. That's one topic I never see brought up on Iowa's message boards, is our assistants. So I don't know if our assistants are getting it done... Or not.

You know, I think Fred drew upon Bobby Lutz early on and Doc Sadler recently for Xs/Os, but gleaned enough from them to go it alone now. The current assistants are a pretty young and "hip" bunch, and their main role is recruiting, IMO.

Going after Ulis and LaChance was what he should do. The problem is he couldn't think outside of the box after those guys. Dickerson was a stretch. Sure he was a top rated JUCO, what whar were his offers then???? His only decent offer was Nebby and Iowa, the others were N. Texas, Toledo, UAB, etc.

Think outside the box? Like what, sign some dude off the street? Fran went after several major college transfers he thought could help this team, got visits from several of them as well, just didn't close the deal. That's how it works in college basketball, not sure why the hell you think that is a "mid major mindset". What point guard out there with a bunch of major offers was just dying to come to Iowa and just waiting for Fran to call? Was there some Harrison Barnes juco types out there at Fran's door that he was turning away?

Think outside the box? Like what, sign some dude off the street? Fran went after several major college transfers he thought could help this team, got visits from several of them as well, just didn't close the deal. That's how it works in college basketball, not sure why the hell you think that is a "mid major mindset". What point guard out there with a bunch of major offers was just dying to come to Iowa and just waiting for Fran to call? Was there some Harrison Barnes juco types out there at Fran's door that he was turning away?

What guard transfers did Fran go after? Did he even try to replace Marble at the SG which was the biggest need position we had going into this year? Name me one guard transfer Iowa targeted. Fran wasted his time trying to grab PF's when we have a good front court and pathetic guards. Dickerson is a longer term play, and it was shortsighted when we had/have immediate needs at any and every guard position.

I don't know what he could have done. Maybe look at some of those UNI kids that beat the snot out of us Saturday night. A lot of those guys are from CR and IC area. At least they can shoot.

Pure luck. The fact that a AD hired a guy with ZERO experience is actually a joke. Pollard hit the lottery, pure and simple. Hiring qualified guys can' be a crap shot.....see (Chizik, McDermott, Lick, and 100's of others around the country).......Hiring someone without any coaching experience at any level is really a joke.

Pollard hit the lottery plain and simple. Great for him and ISU, but Fred deserves all the credit, Pollard should be laughed at, as the rest of his hires have shown......McD, Chizik, and Rhoads.

You are trying to argue that winning the lottery is skill....just stop embarrassing yourself, you can't win this argument.

I guess I just see the ability to take a calculated risk and have foresight into someone else's ability and skill as a skill in itself.

But, yes, I believe most of the credit goes to Fred.

Thought experiment...what if Fran goes to Notre Dame after this year and Barta hires BJ, who becomes successful at Iowa? No credit goes to Barta? Any hire is high risk/high reward, depending on the fit.

I guess I just see the ability to take a calculated risk and have foresight into someone else's ability and skill as a skill in itself.

Thought experiment...what if Fran goes to Notre Dame after this year and Barta hires BJ, who becomes successful at Iowa? No credit goes to Barta? Any hire is high risk/high reward, depending on the fit.

Pollard hiring Fred is like a guy who's life strategy is to play the lottery instead of working a job......neither one deserves any credit at all for that strategy, even if both work out.

If BJ gets hired and is successful I give Barta even less credit than JP, (who I give very little credit). I see your point, but I think it was an act of desperation that worked.

Pollard hiring Fred is like a guy who's life strategy is to play the lottery instead of working a job......neither one deserves any credit at all for that strategy, even if both work out.

So you would be firmly against hiring BJ Armstrong?

If so, I don't blame you. I was against the Hoiberg hire at first.

In ISU's case, it couldn't have gotten any worse under Hoiberg than it was with McD, so the odds of winning the lottery looked better than another McD hire. I don't think there were a lot of coaches beating down the door to take the job.

Latest posts