The "lose-to-purdue-to-get-a-crappy-opponent" strategy paid off!!!!!!!

deano, this is an average of 3rd place in the B1G West. I haven't read most of this thread, but on this specific point, averaging 3rd place in a weak West Division isn't really acceptable, is it?

You don't need to read the entire thread. The part you selected identifies the problem perfectly.
The people with low expectations are the people in charge of Iowa athletics.
The psychology of athletes is that if you expect to lose . . . you will.
Kirk focuses on perceived handicaps rather than strengths. That is not the way winners think.

deano, this is an average of 3rd place in the B1G West. I haven't read most of this thread, but on this specific point, averaging 3rd place in a weak West Division isn't really acceptable, is it?

Is it what I want? No, I want us to finish 1st in the West every year and win the B1G every year. As it stands we are clearly behind Wisconsin and chasing them. It isn't like there is some other West team besides them clearly better than us besides them. Iowa and Nebraska are clearly 1A and 1B to Wisconsin.

Is it what I want? No, I want us to finish 1st in the West every year and win the B1G every year. As it stands we are clearly behind Wisconsin and chasing them. It isn't like there is some other West team besides them clearly better than us besides them. Iowa and Nebraska are clearly 1A and 1B to Wisconsin.

deano, we are clearly behind WUs and another team because we average 3rd place. If we averaged 2nd place, then i'd be lock-step with you and the discussion would be how we go about catching WUs. But we aren't even at that point, yet, based on our average finish of 3rd in the West since 2010. To be honest, I'm disappointed; if I had had to provide a guess, before looking at the stats, I would has said we probably averaged 2nd.

Ah, an 8-5 season. Not that great nor not that bad to prevent the predictable tension created by Pro-Kirk/Anti-Kirk forces seen by reading the first four pages of this thread.

Makes for entertaining reading. Please continue.

deano, we are clearly behind WUs and another team because we average 3rd place. If we averaged 2nd place, then i'd be lock-step with you and the discussion would be how we go about catching WUs. But we aren't even at that point, yet, based on our average finish of 3rd in the West since 2010. To be honest, I'm disappointed; if I had had to provide a guess, before looking at the stats, I would has said we probably averaged 2nd.

Hayden Fry ------- Iowa 3rd in the Big Ten conference

Kirk --------- Iowa 3rd in their division

(the stuff of legend)

Most of the haters, have no idea of what the landscape of college football is actually like. People are complaining about the last 5 years, and yet Iowa is a top 20 P5 program in winning % over the last 5 years.

And you do know? Brian? Maybe you saw the ranking breakdown over recent years since 2010. It did not include 16. Iowa is rated tied for 37th in rankings and 34th among the 65 P% teams. That leaves only 31 below. So since 10 and not including 17, Iowa is a below average P5 team. MSU was 9th and Wisky 11th.

(note- this is not meant to be me agreeing w/ dean)
Averaging 3rd place doesn't mean you weren't the 2nd best team- you'd have to compare average finishes of all teams to know that. I don't want to look it up, but say you had these top-3 finishes over 3 years:

this year:
Wis
NW
Iowa

last year:
Wis
Neb
Iowa

year before
Wis
Pur
Iowa

Just based on those finishes, Iowa averaged 3rd place but was clearly 2nd best since no other (non Wisc) team cracked the top-3 more than once.

Last edited:
Averaging 3rd place doesn't mean you weren't the 2nd best team- you'd have to compare average finishes of all teams to know that. I don't want to look it up, but say you had these top-3 finishes over 3 years:

this year:
Wis
NW
Iowa

last year:
Wis
Neb
Iowa

year before
Pur
Wis
Iowa

Just based on those finishes, Iowa averaged 3rd place but was clearly 2nd best since no other (non Wisc) team cracked the top-3 more than once.

Math is hard.
BTW, wasn't Greg Davis the OC during this period? So Greg got us that 2nd place finish,and we FIRED him for it? I guess that means Brian will get us to first place. lol

Last edited:
And you do know? Brian? Maybe you saw the ranking breakdown over recent years since 2010. It did not include 16. Iowa is rated tied for 37th in rankings and 34th among the 65 P% teams. That leaves only 31 below. So since 10 and not including 17, Iowa is a below average P5 team. MSU was 9th and Wisky 11th.

Iowa had 2 consensus AAs on defense this year. How often does that happen? And with that help Iowa produced less in conference than last year. That falls on Brian.

Math is hard.
BTW, wasn't Greg Davis the OC during this period? So Greg got us that 2nd place finish,and we FIRED him for it? I guess that means Brian will get us to first place. lol

Obsess much?? What a waste of a life to sit on here and be critical about everything. Why waste the time? Nothing better to do?

this year:
Wis
NW
Iowa

last year:
Wis
Neb
Iowa

year before
Pur
Wis
Iowa

On average, Iowa finishes 3rd. For the sake of argument we'll assume WUs has finished first most seasons because that's probably the truth anyway. The average finish is 1) WUs, 2) Some team other than Iowa, 3) Iowa. Iowa may be the team that consistently finishes closest to 1st, but they don't average finishing 2nd, so the gap between 1st and Iowa isn't a matter of head to head competition. On average, a team finishes in front of Iowa and behind 1st place. That's a big gap if you want to compete for 1st in the West every season.

As I said we are behind Wisconsin and that is it really. We have been better than Nebraska over the last 3-5 years.

On average, Iowa finishes 3rd. For the sake of argument we'll assume WUs has finished first most seasons because that's probably the truth anyway. The average finish is 1) WUs, 2) Some team other than Iowa, 3) Iowa. Iowa may be the team that consistently finishes closest to 1st, but they don't average finishing 2nd, so the gap between 1st and Iowa isn't a matter of head to head competition. On average, a team finishes in front of Iowa and behind 1st place. That's a big gap if you want to compete for 1st in the West every season.

It has been Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska. Sure when you average back to 2011, Nebraska is every so slightly ahead. Iowa has clearly been better than Nebby over the last 3-5 years though.

Yeah, I wasn't saying it was anything to be proud of- just that they might be the 2nd best team despite averaging 3rd place.

But, we're just Iowa you know- be happy with what we've got.

I'm not a Ferentz shill like you. I called for KF head for his results on the field based on the '11-'14 seasons. Those were clearly KF worst 4 year run at Iowa and I am not some apologist like you, and I said enough is enough.

Now if you are gonna say he should be gone because of his teams from '15-'17 then I say you are nuts. You see this is what a clear thinker like me can do, see things for what they are and have an opinion based on this. Not just hating all the time like some on here, or apologizing all the time like you.

I'm not a Ferentz shill like you. I called for KF head for his results on the field based on the '11-'14 seasons. Those were clearly KF worst 4 year run at Iowa and I am not some apologist like you, and I said enough is enough.

Now if you are gonna say he should be gone because of his teams from '15-'17 then I say you are nuts. You see this is what a clear thinker like me can do, see things for what they are and have an opinion based on this. Not just hating all the time like some on here, or apologizing all the time like you.
Clear thinker lmao

Clear thinker lmao

You think we should fire Ferentz for winning 12, 8 and 8 games over 3 years?

After the 1987 season Fry never had 3 consecutive seasons of 8 wins or greater. Should Fry have been fired we he won 6, 5 and then 8 games from '88-'90?

Just asking for a friend.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL, I dont know what math you used, but here is how they finished in the division standings in B1G play. If you tie for 1st place you finish 1st, if you tie for 2nd place you finish 2nd, and so on.

2017 3rd
2016 2nd
2015 1st
2014 4th
2013 2nd
2012 6th
2011 4th

Using your rules, Iowa actually tied for 5th in 2012. Not sure why wiki says 6th place instead of T-5th.

As I said we are behind Wisconsin and that is it really. We have been better than Nebraska over the last 3-5 years.

if we averaged finishing 2nd, I'd say all we had to worry about is WUs. but by averaging a 3rd place finish, we have a whole lot more ground to gain.
It has been Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska. Sure when you average back to 2011, Nebraska is every so slightly ahead. Iowa has clearly been better than Nebby over the last 3-5 years though.

Are you saying kNU averages 2nd? I agree head-to-head that we have been better than kNU (we've won 4 out of the last 5) but beating kNU doesn't automatically mean we'll finish ahead of them in the standings.

Latest posts