The "lose-to-purdue-to-get-a-crappy-opponent" strategy paid off!!!!!!!

How is Iowa a 3rd tier program? Over the last 5 years Iowa is a top 20 best winning% of all P5 programs. I'm no math major, but if there were 3 tiers in P5 football and there are 65 P5 teams, that puts Iowa in tier 1. If it were split into 4 tiers that would put Iowa high in tier 2. If it were split into 5 tiers, Iowa would still be in tier 2. If it were split into 6 tiers, Iowa would still be in tier 2. If we split 65 P5 teams into 7 different tiers Iowa is still hanging onto the 2nd tier. So now if we split the 65 P5 teams into 8 tiers, yes Iowa is now a 3rd tier football program like you claimed it was.

Nobody splits college football into 8 tiers, but If Iowa was a 3rd tier program I could admit that. Most reasonable people would say there is 3 or 4 tiers in college football, and Iowa is a 2nd tier program all the way. I'm under no delusions that Iowa is a top tier football team, but I'm also not under the delusion that Iowa is a "tier 3" program like you. I stand firmly on solid ground with the stats to back it up that Iowa is a tier 2 program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iowa_Hawkeyes_football_seasons

4th in the west division. (click the link)
Since divisions were created in 2011. These are Iowa's finish within the division.
4th
6th
4th
4th
1st
2nd
4th

Deano, none of us are surprised you can't handle 3rd grade math.

3 top-25 finishes in the last 13 years (1 in the last 8).

That boat is waaaaaaay less crowded, wouldn't you say?

You'll laugh (or maybe cry) but Pittsburgh has 3 top 25 finishes since 2010 to our 1. Yes, THAT Pitt, the one we beat 3 outa 4 attempts (shoulda been 4 outa 4 but . . . you know . . . stubbornness, pride, ego, the saintly qualities cost us that first encounter)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Panthers_football_seasons
(9 to our 6 since 2002)

How is Iowa a 3rd tier program? Over the last 5 years Iowa is a top 20 best winning% of all P5 programs. I'm no math major, but if there were 3 tiers in P5 football and there are 65 P5 teams, that puts Iowa in tier 1. If it were split into 4 tiers that would put Iowa high in tier 2. If it were split into 5 tiers, Iowa would still be in tier 2. If it were split into 6 tiers, Iowa would still be in tier 2. If we split 65 P5 teams into 7 different tiers Iowa is still hanging onto the 2nd tier. So now if we split the 65 P5 teams into 8 tiers, yes Iowa is now a 3rd tier football program like you claimed it was.

Nobody splits college football into 8 tiers, but If Iowa was a 3rd tier program I could admit that. Most reasonable people would say there is 3 or 4 tiers in college football, and Iowa is a 2nd tier program all the way. I'm under no delusions that Iowa is a top tier football team, but I'm also not under the delusion that Iowa is a "tier 3" program like you. I stand firmly on solid ground with the stats to back it up that Iowa is a tier 2 program.
latest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iowa_Hawkeyes_football_seasons

4th in the west division. (click the link)
Since divisions were created in 2011. These are Iowa's finish within the division.
4th
6th
4th
4th
1st
2nd
4th

Deano, none of us are surprised you can't handle 3rd grade math.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL, I dont know what math you used, but here is how they finished in the division standings in B1G play. If you tie for 1st place you finish 1st, if you tie for 2nd place you finish 2nd, and so on.

2017 3rd
2016 2nd
2015 1st
2014 4th
2013 2nd
2012 6th
2011 4th

Most of the haters, have no idea of what the landscape of college football is actually like. People are complaining about the last 5 years, and yet Iowa is a top 20 P5 program in winning % over the last 5 years.
Yeah, but what are they if you take away CJB? :D

You might be the only person on the planet who thinks this was a 9 win talent team. Vegas had us at 6.5 wins, and nearly all the Homer's (Jon Miller, Rob Howe, Tom Kakart, Emmert, Listokow, etc.) that cover Iowa has us at 6 or 7 wins.

Read my reply in this thread
https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum...redict-iowa-2017-win-loss-record.77817/page-3

wait, I just remembered your comprehension skills are equal to creepypredator40 . . . scratch that, have your Special Ed teacher at Borlaug elementary read it and explain it to you.

Before the season I thought we would be in the 6 to 7 range. We got 8. The schedule was more difficult than I thought it would be also. I'm good. I would hope that we make another run at the West division title soon, but that's not what I expected this year.

Good for you. You've capped your expectations at a WEST title. I grant you that is more realistic, but it doesn't seem likely in your lifetime. Unless you are very young, then you might see it.

I really do not understand all the negativity after this game. If we had lost, maybe.
Seriously, NO ONE EXPECTED IOWA TO WIN 10 GAMES THIS YEAR. NO ONE.
Iowa's losses were to:
Northwestern in overtime. NW will probably end with 10 wins
MSU in a one possession game. Another probable 10 win team.
Penn State on the last play of the game. Probably an 11 win team
Purdue. Stinker of a game but Purdue won 7 games and their bowl game.
Wisconsin. Ass kicking but this Wisc. team may win 13 games.

Wins:
at ISU. Arguably the best ISU team in many years
OSU by 30+. Conference champs and possibly a 12 win team.
BC. Respectable power 5 team that beat FSU 35-3.

Not a great year but certainly not the catastrophe that these idiots are portraying..

Easy question.
Tell me the last time Iowa had high expectations and then met them?
Look, I'm sure you're a nice guy. But what was the purpose of the 2016 contract? To ratchet down expectations below Nebraska?

I truly believe that if we had beat purdue(who ended up being a decent team, but one we should have beat), the tenor would be different on a 8/9 win season....

The loss to Purdue and offensive crapfest vs. Wisky really changed the "feel" on the overall season.

Not bad, not great. A solid season with very high highs, very low lows....with near misses and lost chances.

But we beat OSU and crushed Nebby, and won a bowl game.

Go Hawks

Just like Iowa State, many cannot wrap their heads around the fact some teams can get better and win. Purdue was obviously getting better, especially toward the end. Would we all have rather beat Purdue as expected and got trounced by Ohio State as expected??? I know the haters will say we should have had both, well we didn't and given the other alternative I would rather have kicked O States ass and lost to Purdue as it went. BF admits Wisconsin is the bar in the west and we have to get there. That game in Sept in Kinnick will be huge.

Good for you. You've capped your expectations at a WEST title. I grant you that is more realistic, but it doesn't seem likely in your lifetime. Unless you are very young, then you might see it.

So any season where we don't win a Natty Title and clean up on individual and team awards is a failure!!! Beware new QBs and new young offensive tackles, you win all your games or you suck!!!

Are there any legitimate reasons that a team might struggle? Asking for a friend.

Not to the haters! They want to waste their time on the planet caring about not caring and hating on anything short of a Natty Title and the QB winning the Heisman. Any new guy coming into play has to play like a 50 year all world veteran or they suck too!

It's like you never left

Remember when Boston College had the 4th and 8 at the Iowa 33 in the first quarter and decided to go for it??

Question: what were the odds they were gonna make it?

A) The same as you not replying to this post?
B) The same as creepypredator having a rap sheet?
C) The same as Kirk punting at an opponents 33yd line?
D) All of the above

Last edited:
I will define underachieving for you folks:
Notre Dame
Florida
Florida State
Texas
UCLA
Oregon
Michigan
Nebraska
Tennessee

Very simple for Iowa.
In years when we win the close games, we win 10 or 11 games. In years when we lose the close games, we win 7 or 8. Most fans realize this. It is the reality.

Iowa is not going to win 10 games every year, About 110 other schools in the country are in the same boat.

I don't even know how to respond to this... What have schools like Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan, Nebraska or Tennessee done recently to qualify as programs that "underachieved" this year? Why is it OK to say a program like Nebraska is "underperforming" to give some kind of justification for them having bad seasons, but for us it's just reality for a 7-8 win season. I'm not saying we should be a 10-11 win season every year, but at the same time I don't think many of the programs you listed above over the last few years are in a place where the state of their program is head and shoulders above us.

I guess I simply don't understand why as fans we should accept your "reality". As a fan, I see your "reality" as a slap in the face, because I don't see any reason why we should expect those programs to be better than us year in and year out and view average/poor seasons by them as them "underachieving", but an average seasons by us as reality.

Maybe I'm too critical, but based on the present state of college football I see no reason that why we can't perform year in and year out with the majority of the teams you listed. I simply see nothing that programs like Michigan, Nebby, or Texas have done on the field that make me think their performance on the field this season should be viewed any differently then ours. I just can't rationalize being content with 8-5 and not at all disappointed knowing that some of those losses could very easily have been wins simply because we're only Iowa.

Last edited:
LOLOLOLOLOLOL, I dont know what math you used, but here is how they finished in the division standings in B1G play. If you tie for 1st place you finish 1st, if you tie for 2nd place you finish 2nd, and so on.

2017 3rd
2016 2nd
2015 1st
2014 4th
2013 2nd
2012 6th
2011 4th

deano, this is an average of 3rd place in the B1G West. I haven't read most of this thread, but on this specific point, averaging 3rd place in a weak West Division isn't really acceptable, is it?

Latest posts