The Lloyd Carr lesson as applied to KF-Would Mich do it that same way again???

When Kirk finally quits, Bielema will have been the KSU DC for 3 years and in perfect position to interview at Iowa.

OK, let's get down to the basics. Michigan fired Carr in 2007. Starting with the 2008 season, Michigan has 40 wins and 32 losses. Poor little old Iowa is 45-29 in that same time period.

Interesting, isn't it?

Firing Ferentz would be the DUMBEST thing Iowa has ever done.

When Bo coached at Michigan there were many years where they stumbled one game. Either an upset in conference or losing to OSU or losing in the Rose Bowl. They were a perennial power in the 70's and 80's into the early 90's.

Right, additionally going undefeated while winning the MNC in 1997. But, there have been a Rose Bowl victory, and a couple of other of what are now considered BCS bowl victorys since. It depends upon how you define elite but if you're talking about winning at a very high rate, and perennially being a near or top 10 team than UM has been elite from 1967-2006.

OK, let's get down to the basics. Michigan fired Carr in 2007. Starting with the 2008 season, Michigan has 40 wins and 32 losses. Poor little old Iowa is 45-29 in that same time period.

Interesting, isn't it?

Firing Ferentz would be the DUMBEST thing Iowa has ever done.
I'm not saying we should fire KF today, but your last sentence is a little extreme. You don't think we can find another coach who will go 6-6 or 7-5? No question it's a risk, but I think you need to give Iowa football a little more credit.

I'm not saying we should fire KF today, but your last sentence is a little extreme. You don't think we can find another coach who will go 6-6 or 7-5? No question it's a risk, but I think you need to give Iowa football a little more credit.

I'm not worried about finding a coach that can go 7-5 or 6-6. I'm worried about finding a coach that can get us at least 2 B1G Championships, 2 BCS bowls, and an overall bowl record of at least 6-4 in 15 years. If we can, then cool, let's go get him.

Lots of teams hire who they believe to be good coaches who are unable to go 6-6/7-5. This includes bluebloods such as Alabama, Michigan, USC, etc.

I'm not worried about finding a coach that can go 7-5 or 6-6. I'm worried about finding a coach that can get us at least 2 B1G Championships, 2 BCS bowls, and an overall bowl record of at least 6-4 in 15 years. If we can, then cool, let's go get him.
I agree, but I was just saying I don't think firing KF would be the dumbest thing Iowa has ever done. I think we could find a coach who could consistently take us to bowl games, but finding somebody to take us to the top of the Big 10 is obviously no easy task. As far as what KF has done in the past, it is really amazing. I am grateful for all of the success he has brought to the program. I think his assistant coaches over the years deserve a lot of credit also. I am however, skeptical that we will see that kind of success in the future under KF. I hope I'm wrong. I would love to go 10-2 next year, and I will happily admit I was wrong and praise KF. I just don't know if he can do it in today's environment.

Not mention what he has been able to get done to Kinick and the practice facilty while he has been at Iowa. And support all the non revenue sports and keep the athletic dept in the black.

I agree, but I was just saying I don't think firing KF would be the dumbest thing Iowa has ever done. I think we could find a coach who could consistently take us to bowl games, but finding somebody to take us to the top of the Big 10 is obviously no easy task. As far as what KF has done in the past, it is really amazing. I am grateful for all of the success he has brought to the program. I think his assistant coaches over the years deserve a lot of credit also. I am however, skeptical that we will see that kind of success in the future under KF. I hope I'm wrong. I would love to go 10-2 next year, and I will happily admit I was wrong and praise KF. I just don't know if he can do it in today's environment.

Your question is what it all comes down to. And what divides people on both sides. The fire KF crowd is convinced the days will never get better. There's also a portion of the fan base that figures our odds are better with a guy who has already proven he can do it rather than going with an unknown.

I lean toward the camp that says he can do it once again. Mostly from the belief that KF has a good grasp of what it takes to win at a place like Iowa. He realizes you are much more likely to be able to build elite OL/DL units at Iowa than it is to be elite at WR/RB, based on Iowa's recruiting base and where the elite high school skill players live (hint, it's not in Iowa).

This year was crucial in that Iowa needed to not have consecutive 4-8 type seasons to maintain any semblance of belief in the program. Getting to a bowl (while not all that impressive) is evidence of improvement. Finishing 7-5 or 8-4 would be even better obviously.

So next year becomes even more crucial. If Iowa is not able to win the division title next year (or at least be a contender and win 8-9 games), then I would be much more doubtful of KF being able to take the program to lofty heights again. Iowa has significant losses on D (all the LB's, Lowery, and Miller). One could argue that Hawks will find a safety equal to or better than what they currently have, but that's TBD. Lowery and the LB's are losses. But Iowa has 5 D-linemen who are either already playing at a high level or getting significant time this year (Ott, Hardy, Davis, Trinca-Passat, Cooper) who will all be back next year. And last week Jaleel Johnson got in the rotation at d-line when the game was still being decided (he was on the field for Purdue's first TD). Looks like he is starting to get it. That is 6 guys who are somewhat "proven" going into 2014. That is huge.

Offense, if Scherff comes back, could take another good step forward. CJ Fied, KMM, Van Sloten, Boffelli all gone. Shumpert also a senior. The first 4 are all having good senior seasons, but ready replacements are there who can reasonably expect to be their equal or better in 2014 (with the possible exception of Van Sloten). Of course nothing ever seems to go as planned, but right now 2014 looks promising.

Yer). d. CJ Fied, KMM, Van Sloten, Boffelli all gone. Shumpert also a senior. The first 4 are all having good senior seasons, but ready replacements are there who can reasonably expect to be their equal or better in 2014 (with the possible exception of Van Sloten). Of course nothing ever seems to go as planned, but right now 2014 looks promising.

Are you sure KMM is gone?

KMM is a junior. I'm guessing he likely doesn't go pro.

Otherwise, great post, DodgerHawki.

yes

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]11[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Kevonte Martin-Manley[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]6-0/205[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]WR[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]JR[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Pontiac, Mich. (Brother Rice)
[/FONT]

He will be back and I hope he can really sharpen the skills to be a great possession , short route receiver and improve on getting away from dbacks to get downfield.

Not mention what he has been able to get done to Kinick and the practice facilty while he has been at Iowa. And support all the non revenue sports and keep the athletic dept in the black.

Not the place for this as most on here only see wins and losses (those that know the difference between the two)

But KF off the field- A+

What he has done not only for the facilities, the rest of the Athletic Department, the school, Hospital, Children's Hospital, and even the State is simply amazing in both giving his time and money.

KF on the field- (some will say B, others will say D)

That's the nature of the beast, but KF and what he has meant to the program, the school, and the community will be felt long after he coaches his final game here.................. whenever that is.

Off the field - A+
Teflon answers to the media - A
Giving the media the answers fans want to hear - F
Recruiting - C+
Player development - A-
Game day coaching - C-

Not the place for this as most on here only see wins and losses (those that know the difference between the two)

But KF off the field- A+

What he has done not only for the facilities, the rest of the Athletic Department, the school, Hospital, Children's Hospital, and even the State is simply amazing in both giving his time and money.

That's the nature of the beast, but KF and what he has meant to the program, the school, and the community will be felt long after he coaches his final game here.................. whenever that is.

You bet.

Hoffa, I know your right. I just think its a lot bigger position than our W/L record. Not to say I dont take a loss hard. Forgot to mention he doesnt cheat and his kid graduate

But KF off the field- A+

Not sure if BB has it.... but thought Stoops had it in his contract (or had it at one time) that he could get out of his contract if the Iowa job opened up.

I'm pretty sure he meant that Bielema wouldn't be able to literally move in a few year.....because, you know, he's so fat! :D

yes

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]11[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Kevonte Martin-Manley[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]6-0/205[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]WR[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]JR[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Pontiac, Mich. (Brother Rice)
[/FONT]

He will be back and I hope he can really sharpen the skills to be a great possession , short route receiver and improve on getting away from dbacks to get downfield.

I stand corrected on the Jr/SR thing for KMM. I feel even better now about next season :)

Latest posts