The Linebackers are the Real Problem

I almost wonder if Spearman at DEnd and Meier back at lbkr might work out better. Meier seems to have some good speed, he has bulked up for Dline but he has good footwork.

Spearman has two years left and if he can add 20 more pounds in next year and 30 or so by senior year he will be a DEnd.

Agreed. I think we have guys who are going to be plenty good. The frustrating part is waiting 2 years for that to happen. We saw it with AJ Edds, the guy was hard to watch, and then one day, the light bulb just clicked and he was great.
How does Iowa's coaching staff react to a two years down the road before players are good kind of situation? Since every Iowa player and coach has to follow the same formula of fundamentals, there aren't any quick fixes for bad situations like this year with linebackers and with edge defense. If the defense is bad, there isn't a 'steroid' considered for the offense to even things out and maybe create a winning situation or vice versa if the offense is bad.

Last edited:
How does Iowa's coaching staff react to a two years down the road before players are good kind of situation? Since every Iowa player and coach has to follow the same formula of fundamentals, there aren't any quick fixes for bad situations like this year with linebackers and with edge defense. If the defense is bad, there isn't a 'steroid' considered for the offense to even things out and maybe create a winning situation or vice versa if the offense is bad.

Dude, it is easy to see when unit problems are likely brew a year or two down the road. Very easy, I'm just schmuck fan and even I can see it coming. Now sure, you would think the staff would try to goose the offense, but other than 2005, I can't think of one year where we saw a really big incremental improvement in the offense that coincided with a dropoff of a defensive unit (recall we turned the d-line over in 2005 and the games were just painful to watch at times). Ferentz has definitely increased his risk profile this year by going for it on fourth down a bunch (maybe it's also because he doesn't trust the kicker), but other than that, the offense looks pretty much the same, except with a worse line. Heck, maybe he wants to work in some double moves and take shots, but he knows that even if someone gets open (a) the QB can't throw it that far and/or (b) the QB is gonna get clobbered in a typical 7 step drop scenario because the line is so bad. Dude, you've watched enough Iowa football to know the offense is what it is.

Alston and Spearman are both terrible in space, terrible in pass coverage, terrible in keeping their assignments, terrible about taking good angles to the ball,and not that great at finishing tackles either. Bower is a god damn walk-on redshirt freshman and is better at everything then they are except athleticism.

Alston's permacaptain, so apparently he's going to start no matter what. But I'll be damned if I can figure out why Spearman is getting more snaps than Jewell. Every week, Jewell will make some nice plays early, then all of a sudden Spearman's in there for the rest of the game letting people run all over the god dern field.

And to make matters worse, Powdermilk has regressed badly these last couple weeks. Any time Iowa runs a play where Powdermilk and Spearman have neighboring zone assignments it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Bower Jewell, and Perry. Play those three together and see if they can't get it done.

Alston is disappointing. I thought he'd play like a borderline All Big 10 player or at worst a mid-level Big 10 starter. But I think he's been a liability. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness or explosiveness to play MLB.

Spearman is a lot like Alston. Just doesn't have the lateral quickness to play in space. He's also having a hard time reading his keys.

I like Bower the best of the three. He at least moves pretty well in space. But he's undersized at the moment and lacks explosion at impact.

Alston needs to Step-up his play, as a senior. Unfortunately, last year when he did get in the game, he wasn't very
productive, but I thought I saw improvement in Spring game. Wow, do we miss Hitch, Chris and James.

Bo Bower and Josey Jewell are going to be excellent LB's at Iowa. Spearman and Travis Perry both have potential......this group needs to improve in a hurry.

This has been a problem for years and years. When we have experienced LBs, we usually have a younger D-line and vice versa. This is either a philosophy of the coaching staff or a vicious cycle that was created through poor recruiting, talent development, or bad luck. I think this year might go a long way in correcting it with the number of players that are seeing reps this year, but it's been rare when we had experienced, talented monsters at both LB and DL like the 2009 team.

Agreed that there are other problems, but I suspect if everything else were equal and we had last year's LB corps, this team would be 7-0 right now.

As has been discussed, the lack of blowing out weak teams denies us the opportunity to get younger guys in the game until they have to be thrown in, sink or swim. The horrible recruiting over the past 3 years, at LB, is the elephant in the room, IMO.
These are the only LBs we have recruited since 2011.
2* Marcus Collins - Not on current roster
3* Melvin Spears - listed at DE (268 lbs)
3* Quinton Alston - Starter
2* Johnny Lowdermilk - Converted to Safety
4* Rodney Coe - Never played a down
3* Cole Fisher - On roster, not playing.
3* Leron Taylor - not on roster
2* Johnathon Parker ?? - at 5'9 and 170 lbs, this has to be a mistake but he's on offense now. Where he belongs
3* Reggie Spearman - Starter
2* Josey Jewel - on roster and playing
3* John Kenny - on roster, not playing
3* Parker Hesse - On roster, not playing
3* Aaron Mends - converted to full back
3* Ben Neimann - on roster, not playing
It's really a lack of experienced options than competition in practice.

As has been discussed, the lack of blowing out weak teams denies us the opportunity to get younger guys in the game until they have to be thrown in, sink or swim. The horrible recruiting over the past 3 years, at LB, is the elephant in the room, IMO.
These are the only LBs we have recruited since 2011.
2* Marcus Collins - Not on current roster
3* Melvin Spears - listed at DE (268 lbs)
3* Quinton Alston - Starter
2* Johnny Lowdermilk - Converted to Safety
4* Rodney Coe - Never played a down
3* Cole Fisher - On roster, not playing.
3* Leron Taylor - not on roster
2* Johnathon Parker ?? - at 5'9 and 170 lbs, this has to be a mistake but he's on offense now. Where he belongs
3* Reggie Spearman - Starter
2* Josey Jewel - on roster and playing
3* John Kenny - on roster, not playing
3* Parker Hesse - On roster, not playing
3* Aaron Mends - converted to full back
3* Ben Neimann - on roster, not playing
It's really a lack of experienced options than competition in practice.

Christian Kirksey - 3* ATH
Anthony Hitchens - 2* RB
AJ Edds - 3* TE
Pat Angerer - 3* LB

The staff does fine, it's just that LB is a tough position and it requires a lot of awareness. Unfortunately, that awareness comes from making mistakes and our safeties are pretty bad, too. The current underclassmen are all gonna be fine, just not any time soon.

Latest posts