The Linebackers are the Real Problem

I agree there is a lot of opportunity at linebacker this year. You would think with all of the linebackers Iowa has put in the NFL, we would get some higher level talent at that position.
Let's say a senior HS LB in 2009 is being recruited by Iowa; or 2010. Maybe even 2011.

Who is signing that letter when you know you won't see the field for three years. Not many.

Alston has been a major disappointment. Spearman as well.

Time for Spearman's experiment at LB to end and have him put his hand on the ground.

Bower and Jewel actually look pretty good. Young but good instincts. Iowa needs to find a MLB and fast.

I know the offense is not great. The running game hasn't been there, and apparently they can't decide who to play at QB.

But the real problem is the defense. Iowa State, UNI, Pitt, Indiana and Maryland all went over 400 yards against Iowa.

We're not stopping anybody. I think it is the overall linebacker play. They just are not in position to make tackles. The loss of 3 great linebackers from last year has been impossible to replace (so far). The difference is clear and quite alarming, frankly.

I only see 1 or 2 more wins unless we take a huge step forward with our linebackers over the next 2 weeks.

Ferentz rarely outscores you with great offensive play, but in many years his dominant defense has been the difference. It is not happening this year.

I think we finish 7-5 and go for the 8th win in the bowl game unless the defense takes a huge step forward.

It's been a glaring issue from the start of the season.

I remember how bad Morris and Hitchens were their first couple of years.....Morris got swallowed up in the traffic in the middle and Hitchens was taking steps in the wrong direction like our current guys do...and could not recover.....but they got better, as did Kirksey, and were good as juniors and seniors. We had a vacuum behind those three, and we are filling in with young guys, who will get better, but probably not this season. This was a season where our experienced offense was going to carry the inexperienced defense, for a change, but that has not happened.

I agree with those that Alston hasn't been that good. I've seen him overpursue on running plays and get himself out of position alot. He seems athletic enough but for whatever reason he's just not in the gaps he should be. And this overall defense as a group should be ashamed at how they tackled last week. That was pitiful.

I know the offense is not great. The running game hasn't been there, and apparently they can't decide who to play at QB.

But the real problem is the defense. Iowa State, UNI, Pitt, Indiana and Maryland all went over 400 yards against Iowa.

We're not stopping anybody. I think it is the overall linebacker play. They just are not in position to make tackles. The loss of 3 great linebackers from last year has been impossible to replace (so far). The difference is clear and quite alarming, frankly.

I only see 1 or 2 more wins unless we take a huge step forward with our linebackers over the next 2 weeks.

Ferentz rarely outscores you with great offensive play, but in many years his dominant defense has been the difference. It is not happening this year.

I think we finish 7-5 and go for the 8th win in the bowl game unless the defense takes a huge step forward.

The real problem(s) are not the LB's. They are one of many by products that are a problem.

The real problems are on the sideline and in the press box. That's where everything begins and ends.

I feel ya; I was (am) there. It's really more of a curse than a blessing to bat about .999 in assessing Iowa football. It was great being spot on a decade ago. Since the slow stagnation / deterioration / "death by a 1000 cuts" that began 7 or 8 years ago, being so right just isn't as much fun.

http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65074&page=2&p=1302749&viewfull=1#post1302749

http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66640&page=2&p=1337278#post1337278

I sometimes wonder what it's like to be Mert, "Bob" from Newton, Hawknick, KirkFer, Greg Davus, et.al -- to wallow in that delusional, blissful, Pollyanna existence, completely detached from and in denial of the pure truth that observation and rational thought force upon people like me. Alas, when it comes to Iowa football, reality is the torturous cross I bear.

Wow, nice posts as well. I don't know where we'll wind up, but it is refreshing see folks with a high football IQ, such as yourself, realizing that Iowa had some glaring weaknesses coming into the season. There's still this little optimistic part of me that thinks if we can just get a little better in this next bye, we can still get to 9 wins just because Illinois is awful and Northwestern and Minnesota both seem like teams we should be able to beat this year. But the LB and QB play hasn't blown me away yet.

They are definetly part of the problem bu there are more problems than just them. Alston is really not good. He takes terrible angles. Spearman isn't a great tackler either, I wonder if he doesn't have it upstairs.

Thing is, when I read things about how Maryland knew exactly what was coming based on how we were lined up, who was in the game, etc. then that's a problem. You're already at a disadvantage even before the snap.

That is inexcusable. I honestly think it's a Ferentz thing and I can't even blame Davis for that. Ferentz wants to focus heavily on execution and it limits the playbook drastically. Even if you have a great play drawn up, if the defense knows where the play is going, the play is DOA unless the defense is really, really bad or someone falls down.

They are definetly part of the problem bu there are more problems than just them. Alston is really not good. He takes terrible angles. Spearman isn't a great tackler either, I wonder if he doesn't have it upstairs.

Agreed that there are other problems, but I suspect if everything else were equal and we had last year's LB corps, this team would be 7-0 right now.

We are slow....that's the problem.....dual threat, quick backs, quicker receivers...other teams run up field, we like to dance to the Pee Wee shuffle.....je$u$ H Christ....

LBs are ONE real problem. DBs are not looking good a lot of the time...but that is probably a function of the LBs, anyway.

Tackling across-the-board is another problem.

Bo Bower and Josey Jewell are performing well. I believe they will be great! I would also like to see Chad Gilson get more reps at middle LB. That trio this year could do well together.

Bo Bower and Josey Jewell are performing well. I believe they will be great! I would also like to see Chad Gilson get more reps at middle LB. That trio this year could do well together.

I believe those two will be great eventually as well, but I am starting to see, especially after this last game how much we missed those 3. You have to realize how much production we lost from that group, Morris alone had 8 sacks and 5 picks, kirksey had like 3 ret for td and some sacks... hitchens just went out to kill people every game. I think the Dline is still ok but those guys cleaned up a TON last year. I personally Jewell needs to play more at middle than Alston.

Also, I think the those linebackers being gone has put more pressure on guys like lowdermilk to make open field tackles. Something he struggles mightily with.

Agreed. I think we have guys who are going to be plenty good. The frustrating part is waiting 2 years for that to happen. We saw it with AJ Edds, the guy was hard to watch, and then one day, the light bulb just clicked and he was great.

This was a problem in 2010 as well, although that year it was due to injuries. It rarely all comes together in a year for Iowa, there always seems to be at least one missing element. LB play has been one of those elements this year. It's getting better, but there are enough breakdowns/inexperience that have yielded big plays all year.

Real problem, want the real problem?! This has been brewing for 15 years now. If Bowlsby didn't screw up the hiring process, no offense to Ferentz, a good coach, but we wouldn't be talking about all these idiotic things that go on from one season to the next and the next and the next with no real clear solution to the problem, like clock management, conservative playcalling, etc.

We've had talent, this program plays not to lose more times than not. Am I wrong on this?

I agree with those that Alston hasn't been that good. I've seen him overpursue on running plays and get himself out of position alot. He seems athletic enough but for whatever reason he's just not in the gaps he should be. And this overall defense as a group should be ashamed at how they tackled last week. That was pitiful.

I agree with many of the posts, Alston at middle lbkr especially needs to play inside out making sure he has his gap, or jumps into the gap, but especially drive on the inside to the outside of the running back.

I see all the linebackers getting their feet crossed up by overpursuing many times.

It is all an experience thing but that goes back to coaches rotating players in now an then for a couple series in each game.

Alston got snaps in 2011 I think starting for an injured Morris and maybe in 2012 but last year he rushed the passer and it would have been good to get him some time relieving morris for a few series per game.

Latest posts