The Latest on Tyler Cook's NBA Draft Decision

TC has until 11:59 p.m. Wednesday night to decide whether or not to stay in the draft. There's no wiggle room there. At that point, pre-draft workouts also are done for those pulling out of the draft.

TC has until 11:59 p.m. Wednesday night to decide whether or not to stay in the draft. There's no wiggle room there. At that point, pre-draft workouts also are done for those pulling out of the draft.
Figured there had to be a line in the sand someplace. Wonder how much sleep he'll get tonight...

This is how I read it. The NBA people recognize that he's very athletic. They are encouraging him and talking to him about the positives. They will talk to the Iowa coaches about the big picture...including the areas where Tyler has to improve. The Iowa coaches will then share this information with Tyler and his family. And late tomorrow night we will hear that Tyler is officially returning for his junior season. I think he's 95% likely to return. But I think he's 95% likely to leave after next season...and the 5% is allowing for an injury that forces him to come back as a senior.

This is how I read it. The NBA people recognize that he's very athletic. They are encouraging him and talking to him about the positives. They will talk to the Iowa coaches about the big picture...including the areas where Tyler has to improve. The Iowa coaches will then share this information with Tyler and his family. And late tomorrow night we will hear that Tyler is officially returning for his junior season. I think he's 95% likely to return. But I think he's 95% likely to leave after next season...and the 5% is allowing for an injury that forces him to come back as a senior.

I've read the tea leaves both ways. I still see it as 50%. Hope you're right though of course.

and this is why i think it was a tell when Fran stated last week that he would be surprised if TC didn't take his game to the next level and become a 1st pick in the '19 draft IF he comes back to Iowa. I think TC is coming back based on that statement.

I think he's gone and good for him. He has a long road to get into the NBA and he needs to get started on that. He's better off in a European League or in the G league if he can make it than he would be in college basketball.

I think he's gone and good for him. He has a long road to get into the NBA and he needs to get started on that. He's better off in a European League or in the G league if he can make it than he would be in college basketball.

What makes you say that Tyler would be better off in a European League or the G League instead of college basketball? Looking at the list of undrafted NBA players that ended up playing at least one game in the NBA over the last 5 years, the overwhelming majority played 4 years of college basketball. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_undrafted_players

I don't think this decision is going to change whether Tyler plays in the NBA. He's not ready now, so he'll be working on his game somewhere for the next few years and then maybe he'll get picked up by an NBA team or not. The advantage to staying in school is that when Tyler decides to hang em up (either from the NBA or overseas), he'll have a degree at a good school that he got for free. Plus, even if he doesn't make the NBA, by staying in school he'll have the memories of playing some meaningful basketball that people actually watch. Seriously, the number of people that watched Tyler play at Iowa the last 2 years will be more than the number of people that watch Tyler play non-NBA professional games for the rest of his life.

Sorry, but nobody cares about G league or overseas basketball games. If Iowa makes the NCAA tourney this year and/or next, that could be the biggest stage Tyler ever achieves. Unless the NBA is telling him he's going to get drafted, I don't see how making the most of his opportunity at Iowa will diminish his chances of playing in the NBA in the future.

What makes you say that Tyler would be better off in a European League or the G League instead of college basketball? Looking at the list of undrafted NBA players that ended up playing at least one game in the NBA over the last 5 years, the overwhelming majority played 4 years of college basketball. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_undrafted_players

I don't think this decision is going to change whether Tyler plays in the NBA. He's not ready now, so he'll be working on his game somewhere for the next few years and then maybe he'll get picked up by an NBA team or not. The advantage to staying in school is that when Tyler decides to hang em up (either from the NBA or overseas), he'll have a degree at a good school that he got for free. Plus, even if he doesn't make the NBA, by staying in school he'll have the memories of playing some meaningful basketball that people actually watch. Seriously, the number of people that watched Tyler play at Iowa the last 2 years will be more than the number of people that watch Tyler play non-NBA professional games for the rest of his life.

Sorry, but nobody cares about G league or overseas basketball games. If Iowa makes the NCAA tourney this year and/or next, that could be the biggest stage Tyler ever achieves. Unless the NBA is telling him he's going to get drafted, I don't see how making the most of his opportunity at Iowa will diminish his chances of playing in the NBA in the future.

IMO its not about the money or who watches you play in the G-league. Its about not having to go to school or studying for finals or having NCAA limited contact with coaches or having NCAA limited practices

A guy like Tyler Cook is a freak athlete, but he still needs a lot of work on other parts of his game (rebounding, defense, outside shot, FT percentage). Is he going to better hone those skills in an open gym by himself without coaches while worrying about if he's going to pass his underwater basketweaving class....or every day, 10 hours a day in a gym with professional basketball coaches with you every step of the way and zero outside distractions?

PS - I really hope he returns to Iowa.

I just think the level of competition in the G League and the better European leagues (if he can get into one) are superior to the level of competition he'll see in college basketball. Plus he can work on his game full time, no class, and not be worried about playing a team game, just developing his individual skills which is his best chance of making the NBA. If he finds the right European League, he can live in a great city and make a very good living for a long time.

And you're completely right, nobody cares about the G league or overseas basketball and Tyler getting a degree would be wise move for him. But that's a fan projecting what they want for Tyler. The only thing that is certain is he wants is to in the NBA. For all we know he doesn't care in the slightest bit about a degree. Many young men don't.

Exactly. I don’t understand this overseas theory if his goal is to make the NBA. If he just wants to start making money with basketball that is one thing.

How many American born players have gone overseas strait from college and returned to the NBA? Out of the thousands that have tried my guess is you could count them on your two hands.

Exactly. I don’t understand this overseas theory if his goal is to make the NBA. If he just wants to start making money with basketball that is one thing.

How many American born players have gone overseas strait from college and returned to the NBA? Out of the thousands that have tried my guess is you could count them on your two hands.

Fantastic point. I'm guessing the number is very low. It probably the most telling sign that you are not ready for the NBA, and the odds of you getting there at any point are slim at best. Not only that but the best thing you can do is stay in college, get a degree, and have that fall back in life.

However this is the opinion of someone who has never had a chance to make it as a professional athlete and had to get a college degree and grind his way through his 20s to mid 30s before finally seeing some financial & professional rewards. Probably sounds familiar, most professionals go through the same process.

Tyler on the other hand is 20. And if he doesn't have someone in his corner who values a college degree, and himself doesn't value it, he's kinda wasting his time at Iowa. If you told me after my sophomore year of college that you get to skip 2 years of college and start doing a dream that you've had since you were a kid, and you're going to get paid for it, I'd bet most of us would have left rather quickly.

I don't think he's trolling anyone or looking for attention. I think he has a very hard life decision.

Cook would make more money long term from a college degree than he ever will playing basketball.

Too bad the brain of a 19/20 year old (mine included) doesn't think that way.

I wonder if Cook does come back how many points per game better Iowa will be overall. If Iowa is a net two points better per game it could cost Iowa a couple of games next season if he doesn't come back. Iowa does have a lot of guys that can play his position. If he does come back and works on his rebounding and defense, it could be more than two points a game.