The Last Play (Video)

Looks like a couple fouls to me, but similar to a last second hail mary in football...the refs just aren't going to call them unless they absolutely have to.

I still think Bohannon rushed a shot. Looked like Cook woulda been wide open on the roll had bohannon drove it in further and drawn Bruno to him.

Tyler didn't even attempt to block Fernando out

He just watched

Bohannon was hit on the arm when he released the ball

I don't believe the shot would have gone in anyway

Trajectory was entirely too low, looked like a line drive

Moss was, without a doubt slammed to the floor

Hawks were robbed

There is no doubt in my mind that a foul would have been called on the Hawks if the roles were reversed

Talk amongst yourselves

Live I didn't see Moss get fouled, pretty obvious in the video, but these refs weren't hanging around, soundly booed by the crowd on the non-call of the flagrant and again later on a non-call goaltend. I'm not gonna complain because there were a ton of non-calls during Iowa's comeback and some favorable calls for Iowa. I knew after Fran complained and the crowd went wild there would be no close calls at the end of the game. I thought they were fair for the most part. The bigger problem was the fact that JBo was not recognizing the double team and passing out of it. He kept getting trapped and throwing it away. Baer hit three threes and what does Iowa do? Doesn't pass to him again. Love JBo but man gotta give up the rock if your getting doubled. Maryland was clutch and deserved to win this game. You can't take to the midpoint of the second half to wake up. Iowa played the first half like they were asleep. No intensity, little passion, sloppy lazy passes. Until the last 5 minutes, I thought I was stupid facing a two-hour drive home in a snowstorm. Iowa was really forcing the ball to Garza first half, he simply was being overmatched physically by Maryland, Cook really didn't challenge them either. Weird game, Iowa could have won, just too many mistakes.

He just watched

Hawks were robbed

There is no doubt in my mind that a foul would have been called on the Hawks if the roles were reversed

Wieskamp was in position to block him out and he jumped too soon for the rebound. If Joe puts a body on him Fernando doesn’t make that tip in.

Bohannon rushed his shot but I guess that did allow enough time for a put back attempt. Moss had a decent look with the put back but missed. Tough game shooting all around for the starters. Did Tyler Cook really not get a FT attempt? Seems odd as he drew several fouls like he usually does.

Bruno's tip in was poor recognition of the situation. We had them out numbered four to one under the basket. If one person sticks the rear end into him he has no chance.

Disappointing, but in the overall picture we won three losable games. Few on here saw a win in Bloomington coming. Many predicted a Rutgers loss. We kept ourselves out of the abyss that is seventh through eleventh place in the conference. Our position is solid. We will be favored against a slumping Indiana team. Rutgers at home is winnable. Nebraska is sharpening their golfing spikes. Three more wins gets us to 12-8. With our obvious shortcomings I think we can live with that.

The officiating was brutal, I thought. But it was fair, in that it was brutal both ways.

Maryland earned it. Iowa had plenty of chances, just wasn't their night.

5 guys got out rebounded underneath the hoop - wish Garza would have been in there at the end - those are the breaks. Iowa got 2 really good looks at it to win and didn't. At least they got looks and got shots off, I remember not long ago that wasn't something to be expected. They didn't fall - on to the next.

I think Weiskamp had a body on Bruno but just wasn't strong enough to move him. Not many are. I think Cook is the only guy who could have gotten that rebound away from Bruno but he took the play off for whatever reason.

Isn't that annoying how the refs change the way they call the game at the end?

Yep, but its been that way forever so I'm not sure what you can do but plan accordingly. Like I said earlier, the refs on a last second hail mary pass never throw a pass interference flag even though there are guys clearly shoving or pushing off or dragging other guys down.

side note: this is one of the reasons I am against the NFL proposed instant replay on pass interference calls. You will have teams just throwing hail marys and then challenging the pass interference. It will swing games in horrible ways.

Dz04hsoWkAAlhwW.jpg

It wasn't called - that's the game of basketball - I thought Iowa got two great looks to win it - they didn't hit it. Them's the breaks - on to the next. I am hoping this helps the team refocus. I didn't have too much to complain about effort or defensively wise last night. Some times the shots don't fall.

Looks like a couple fouls to me, but similar to a last second hail mary in football...the refs just aren't going to call them unless they absolutely have to.

I still think Bohannon rushed a shot. Looked like Cook woulda been wide open on the roll had bohannon drove it in further and drawn Bruno to him.

I thought the same thing. I think if he would have dumped it off to Cook the the right, I think Cook could have driven for a dunk and/or foul.

Side note: I'm not sure why they don't run any back door lob and dunks to Tyler or perhaps Moss if use Tyler as a decoy. Cook is athletic enough to go up and get about anything.

I think Weiskamp had a body on Bruno but just wasn't strong enough to move him. Not many are. I think Cook is the only guy who could have gotten that rebound away from Bruno but he took the play off for whatever reason.

And this is exactly why I won't be upset one bit when he takes off for Europe next year. I'm sure TC is a great guy, but our issues on the defensive interior are almost entirely on his shoulders. He takes more plays off on the defensive end than anyone I can remember.

He just watched

Hawks were robbed

Agree on the Cook point. I was stating same thing to my wife. He didn't even attempt to back him out. Fernando got the rebound in the mix of 4-5 Iowa players. Not one got a body on him. This is my biggest pet peeve. Blocking out.

Another is big guys that don't jump because they never really had to. I played at 5'9" and always had to jump. Smaller guys think "If big guys just had to jump half of what I had to...........". Kreiner could have jammed it on those bunny misses.

Last edited:
The officiating was brutal, I thought. But it was fair, in that it was brutal both ways.

Maryland earned it. Iowa had plenty of chances, just wasn't their night.

Some refs think just because they have a whistle in their mouth, they have to blow it, many times without clear evidence. They assume there had to be a foul. There were some calls where there was never any contact. It's wrong. If I am officiating, I'm only calling the obvious plays. The best refs are those who DO NOT become part of the game. Many refs do because they have a whistle.

Latest posts