The KF era in 3 yr spans. Not so bad?

Actually this list looks pretty weak to me? Those are 'shared' B1G titles. Has never made it to the Rosebowl and many of the players listed account for only 1-2 seasons.

Considering how 'great' KF is developing players Oline etc.. only managed to get 3 B1G Oline players of the year? Really... only 3?

KF has survived on winning Bowl games only - end of story. Take last years disastrous season - had we not survived against Missouri there would be even more rancor this season! Its the bowl game that sucks the fans in for more disappointment next year.

And I will add - his best player Brad Banks - HE DID'NT EVEN WANT TO PLAY HIM! Remember? The fans had to boo McCann off the field! A great disservice to McCann and us fans.

No - KF is not a great coach.. he is a good man.

Actually this list looks pretty weak to me? Those are 'shared' B1G titles.

Considering how 'great' KF is developing players Oline etc.. only managed to get 3 B1G Oline players of the year? Really... only 3?

KF has survived on winning Bowl games only - end of story. .

Only shared Big 10 titles? Only 3 Offensive linemen of the year? Only survived on winning bowl games? Wow, that's one way to look at it.

Just because they run the same offense doesn't mean they run it the same way. Chryst attacks on offense. Do you ever get the feeling that Iowa is attacking on offense?

And it's not just this year. Where did Wisconsin rank last year in offensive production compared to Iowa. Wisconsin was #1 in scoring offense. Iowa was #5. Wisconsin was #3 in total offense. Iowa was #8.

In 2009, Wiscy was #1 in scoring offense. Iowa was #10. Wisconsin was #1 in total offense. Iowa was #10.

I know Wisconsin's offense is statistically better than ours. It is because they have better o-linemen and RBs than us in most seasons. That is the difference between them having 3rd and 2 and 3rd and 6 all the time. O'Keefe has taken plenty of shots down the field the past few years, but his one and only weakness is that sometimes he doesn't have a great pass play to counter a heavy blitz.

And I will add - his best player Brad Banks - HE DID'NT EVEN WANT TO PLAY HIM! Remember? The fans had to boo McCann off the field! A great disservice to McCann and us fans.

No - KF is not a great coach.. he is a good man.

Come on, just because he didn't play Banks immediately, didn't mean he didn't even want to play him? I doubt there is any way that is true. Unless you are at every practice and knew both players, there was probably more to it than that. He gave McCann his chance and then he went to Banks, within his first year of being at Iowa. None of us knew how good BB was going to be until he stepped on that field. If you knew he was going to be a Heisman runner up before he played you are better than all of us.

KF is a good coach IMO. He is not a great coach IYO.

And even if some on HN would agree with you that he is not a great coach, many many coaches that do it 24/7 would disagree with you.

Given that he produced most of these players in two seasons out of 12 - almost ten years ago, I would say he doesn't get as much credit when you look at the total body of work.

And we have seen 0 evolution offensively and our D still can't contain teams with dynamic offenses. Why have we been rebuilding / underperforming for the past few seasons? Don't we have an established staff that knows how to recruit? If you really think our O and D line woes are going to be fixed next year or the year after, I beg to differ. I like KF and am not a "he needs to go" guy, but the product on the field the last two years has been sketchy. Where are our D line recruits? Are we really going to ride Coker all season? This is not smart coaching folks. We had an entire week to prepare for PSU and laid an egg.

Last year may have been sketchy, but I don't care how it's done, two years ago was a BCS BOWL VICTORY.

Yep, two years ago BCS win. Last year we lost like 5 close games. We cannot win them all, there are only a handful of teams that win year in and year out. Consider this... no Florida school in the top 25 right now. No FSU, No Miami, No Florida. Perspective people.

The other way to look at this is that he has only had 4 really good teams out of 13 years. As good as the 2008 team was, they wildly underachieved considering all of their close losses to mediocre-bad teams.

I'll give him a pass on the first two years, but 2001, 2005, 2010 and this year so far have been hugely disappointing. Just close loss after close loss against bad teams.

2006 and 2007 were just horrifically bad years and borderline inexcusable.

So yeah, Iowa has been really good under KF about 1/3 of the time, and the rest has been pretty poor.

I put value on the BCS bowls, and Cap-1.

The others....meh...the Big-10 can get as many as eight teams into a non-championship bowl. You only have to finish .500 overall and can be sub-.500 in league play. And the bowls are locked in.

Over 50% of the teams playing can qualify to go to some bowl. (35 games/70 spots) for about 120 teams.

To NOT go to a bowl these days is a sign of a bad team/season.

Last edited:
Actually this list looks pretty weak to me? Those are 'shared' B1G titles. Has never made it to the Rosebowl and many of the players listed account for only 1-2 seasons.

KF has survived on winning Bowl games only - end of story. Take last years disastrous season - had we not survived against Missouri there would be even more rancor this season! Its the bowl game that sucks the fans in for more disappointment next year.

"Has never made it to a Rose Bowl"

It's funny how naysayer Hawk fans like to bring this up, conveniently forgetting about the two Orange Bowls. Getting to the Rose Bowl isn't what it once was. It's now just part of the BCS Series. KF qualified for the 03 Rose, but the Orange picked Iowa first.

The other way to look at this is that he has only had 4 really good teams out of 13 years. As good as the 2008 team was, they wildly underachieved considering all of their close losses to mediocre-bad teams.

I'll give him a pass on the first two years, but 2001, 2005, 2010 and this year so far have been hugely disappointing. Just close loss after close loss against bad teams.

So yeah, Iowa has been really good under KF about 1/3 of the time, and the rest has been pretty poor.

How in the world can you say 2001 was hugely disappointing? We were coming off a 3 win season and nobody knew what to expect. We ended up with 7 wins and an Alamo Bowl victory.

You call it shared Big Ten titles....do we have half of a Big Ten championship trophy in our trophy case? No. We were Big Ten champs those years. How can anyone question our title in 2002? We went undefeated in conference play.

The Rose Bowl argument doesnt work anymore. The BCS has screwed up the tradition of that game in a handful of years. Iowa goes 8-0 in the Big Ten in 2002 and Oklahoma and Washington State play in the Rose Bowl.

He has had 3 O lineman of the year in 12 years. So that means 25% of the time one of his guys is the best offensive lineman of the year in the conference. Pretty good accomplishment considering the o-lines Wisky has developed recently and the great O-lines Michigan had during Lloyd Carr's tenure.

The KF era:

92-62 60% Winner
2 Big 10 Titles
2 BCS Bowl Appearances
1 BCS Bowl Win
9 Bowl Appearances
6-3 Bowl Record
4 Top 10 Finishes
1 National Coach of the Year Award
3 Big Ten Coach of the Year Awards
1 Doak Walker Award Winner (Shonn Greene)
1 Mackey Award Winner (Dallas Clark)
1 Outland Trophy Award Winner (Robert Gallery)
1 Lou Groza Award Winner (Nate Kaeding)
1 Davey Obrien Award Winner (Brad Banks)
1 Maxwell Award Winner (Brad Banks)
1 Heisman Trophy Runner-Up (Brad Banks)
2 Big Ten Offensive Players of the Year (Banks, Greene)
3 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year (Steinbach, Gallery, Bulaga)
1 Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year (Mitch King)
Numerous All-Americans and NFL Draft Picks

I would be willing to bet that about 100-105 of the 120 FBS teams would gladly trade their program's success and accomplishments for Iowa's over the course of Kirk Ferentz' tenure here. It is ridiculous that the above is not enough to satisfy a vocal minority in the Iowa fanbase.

Two sides to the same coin. One side shows inconsistent wins and losses. The other is a list of individual accolades. When Iowa is good, their pretty darned good and awards ensure. When they're not, well... Problem is, Iowa has not been good more often than it has been good. I don't like it but it's a fact.

How in the world can you say 2001 was hugely disappointing? We were coming off a 3 win season and nobody knew what to expect. We ended up with 7 wins and an Alamo Bowl victory.

They lost 5 games by 7 points or less. The offense was ranked #1 in the B1G. The team was literally loaded with NFL talent (Aaron Kampman, Ladell Betts, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, etc).

That team was hugely underachieving if you look at it objectively. Many of those players formed the core of our Big Ten title team the next year, plus a couple of senior starters that would go on to have lengthy NFL careers, and they finished 6-5 in the regular season.

How in the world could that NOT be considered disappointing? It was essentially an identical season to last year, except there were no pre-season expectations going in.

Last edited:

I don't get why some of us Hawk fans say 01 was a huge disappoinment. No one, and I mean no one expected that Iowa team to win 9 or 10 games. But they almost did. Yes, they could gave won more games as the O was pretty good. However the D struggled that yr and the O was a turnover machine. They won 7 and the Alamo Bowl in yr 3. At the time it was a huge sign of progress.

How are 06 and 07 horrifically bad? Iowa was 12-13. Mediocre? Yes. Horriffic? No. Certainly not inexcusable. 1-24 would have been horrific.

I will agree 05 and 10 were pretty disappointing. But 15-10 isn't pretty poor. It's not real good, but not pretty poor. To me pretty poor would have been something like 8-17.

Do I wish Iowa could be 11-2 every yr? Of course, we all do. Is it likely to happen? No, it's not. Well, if Iowa hires Nick Saban or Bob Stoops, then maybe.

Latest posts