The KF era in 3 yr spans. Not so bad?

They lost 5 games by 7 points or less. The offense was ranked #1 in the B1G. The team was literally loaded with NFL talent (Aaron Kampman, Ladell Betts, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, etc).

That team was hugely underachieving if you look at it objectively. Many of those players formed the core of our Big Ten title team the next year, plus a couple of senior starters that would go on to have lengthy NFL careers, and they finished 6-5 in the regular season.

How in the world could that NOT be considered disappointing? It was essentially an identical season to last year, except there were no pre-season expectations going in.

I would honestly like to know what you expect year in and year out from the Iowa program. Wins and losses only, what are your expectations?

I wouldn't call 2001 disappointing. We did underachieve, but considering what we went through the three previous seasons, it was hard not to be happy about the winning record and bowl trip.

its who we lost to:

Arizona
Northwestern
Indiana
Minnesota
Wisconsin
OhioState

Man, you are really reaching now. First of all Iowa won at Indiana last yr. How in the world you can put 12-1 OSU and 11-2 Wiscy in the "who we lost to" category is beyond me. I'm not bitter about those two losses at all. Two very good teams. NW and AZ were good enough last yr to beat Iowa (or most teams), but I agree Iowa should have won those games. Obviously, the Minny game was to painfull to bear and a horribly bad loss. So if you want to have this discussion, leave out IN, OSU and Wiscy. Then you have a point.

Last edited:
I would be willing to bet that about 100-105 of the 120 FBS teams would gladly trade their program's success and accomplishments for Iowa's over the course of Kirk Ferentz' tenure here

In the polling era, 19 teams have 2 or more national championships plus several more with one. There is no way 100-105 make that trade.

They lost 5 games by 7 points or less. The offense was ranked #1 in the B1G. The team was literally loaded with NFL talent (Aaron Kampman, Ladell Betts, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, etc).

That team was hugely underachieving if you look at it objectively. Many of those players formed the core of our Big Ten title team the next year, plus a couple of senior starters that would go on to have lengthy NFL careers, and they finished 6-5 in the regular season.

How in the world could that NOT be considered disappointing? It was essentially an identical season to last year, except there were no pre-season expectations going in.

Hindsight is always 20/20. The program was still feeling it's way in 01. That was not one of NP's better defenses. I understand you are upset with last yr. You do have a point there. 2010 bothers me much more than 01 did.

WOW! I thought I'd seen everything, but now I see someone calling the '01 team underachievers. WTF? After 1-10 in '99 and 3-8 in '00 you were disappointed in 6-5 and an Alamo bowl win? Hindsight is 20/20, so I suppose in looking back after the '02 season you have a point, but during that season no one was disappointed. Other than in losing to ISU, that is.

WOW! I thought I'd seen everything, but now I see someone calling the '01 team underachievers. WTF? After 1-10 in '99 and 3-8 in '00 you were disappointed in 6-5 and an Alamo bowl win? Hindsight is 20/20, so I suppose in looking back after the '02 season you have a point, but during that season no one was disappointed. Other than in losing to ISU, that is.

Yes, that was back when Iowa fans were happy as hell to even think we had a shot to go to a bowl game or being happy after watching Iowa lose to Indiana by two touchdowns because our QB of the future had just thrown for 350+ yards.

Yes, I am talking about Jon Beutjer.

I have now come to accept that there are moron Iowa fans that have no grasp on reality when it comes to expectations for their favorite team. Sad but true. And no that doesn't mean I'm fine when we lose, I just don't feel the need to find the nearest cliff or fire the entire staff like so many seem to do after one.

You guys are right. We should never expect a team literally loaded up and down the roster with NFL talent to ever finish higher than 6-5 in the regular season. I can't believe how out of whack my expectations are.

Oh yeah, and congratulations to last year's team on their outstanding season.

You guys are right. We should never expect a team literally loaded up and down the roster with NFL talent to ever finish higher than 6-5 in the regular season. I can't believe how out of whack my expectations are.

No one in this thread said they only expect 6 wins every yr. How many wins should Iowa have every yr? What would satisfy your expectations?

No one in this thread said they only expect 6 wins every yr.

Not necessarily in this thread, but I hear over and over "Who do we think we are? Florida? We're Iowa." and that we have unrealistic expectations if we expect better than what we've been getting.

In the past 6 seasons, we've had the following win totals in the regular season (not counting bowl games):

2005 - 7
2006 - 6
2007 - 6
2010 - 7

THREE of those years we were pre-season Top 10. Or very close to it. 2005, 2006, 2010. Regardless of failing to live up to expectations 3 of those years, that is 2/3 of the time (4 of 6 years) we have been unable to win more than 6-7 games. That is barely more more wins than losses.

I'm not discounting 2008 & 2009, but just making a point that in the past several years now, we have been average the majority of the time.

Now before anyone puts words in my mouth - NO, I do not expect 10+ wins every single year. But I DO expect more consistency, and overall I'm disappointed with the past 6, going on 7 seasons. Not to write of this year with still 7 games left to play, but by all accounts, this is a rebuilding season and is looking like 6 or 7 wins yet again is a pretty high likelihood.

Last edited:
How many wins should Iowa have every yr? What would satisfy your expectations?

Counting bowl games, I'd be pretty happy if we were consistently an 8-9 win program every year, with a 10+ win season here and there. I don't think going 8-4 or 9-3 is too far out of whack. A 6 or 7 win rebuilding season every now and then wouldn't be the end of the world if we were usually winning 9 or so. I just don't think 6-6 or 7-5 should be the norm.

Why don't you show us your quotes where you predicted that several of the players on the '01 team would have long NFL careers?

You don't suppose their later success had anything to do with Ferentz's coaching and development of players, do you. Probably not, as that team was filled with 4 and 5 star recruits. LOL

Counting bowl games, I'd be pretty happy if we were consistently an 8-9 win program every year, with a 10+ win season here and there. I don't think going 8-4 or 9-3 is too far out of whack. A 6 or 7 win rebuilding season every now and then wouldn't be the end of the world if we were usually winning 9 or so. I just don't think 6-6 or 7-5 should be the norm.

This sounds pretty reasonable to me. I will say this, if you go back 10 yrs Iowa has 85 wins and 41 losses. An average of 8.5 wins and 4.1 losses per yr. Iowa won 10 games twice and 11 games twice during this span. There were only two seasons Iowa won only 6 games. During the 10 yrs Iowa has been to 9 bowl games with 6 wins. Two BCS and one Cap One. I go back 10 yrs because that's when KF got the ball rolling after rebuilding in 99 and 00. It's almost funny that some Hawk fans can't get over 06 and 07. Since then Iowa is 31-13, won 3 bowl games (one BCS) and has a #7 and a #20 finish.

Last edited:
This sounds pretty reasonable to me. I will say this, if you go back 10 yrs Iowa has 85 wins and 41 losses. An average of 8.5 wins and 4.1 losses per yr. Iowa won 10 games twice and 11 games twice during this span. There were only two seasons Iowa won only 6 games. During the 10 yrs Iowa has been to 9 bowl games with 6 wins. Two BCS and one Cap One. I go back 10 yrs because that's when KF got the ball rolling after rebuilding in 99 and 00. It's almost funny that some Hawk fans can't get over 06 and 07. Since then Iowa is 31-13.

This is why I'm ok with KF as our coach. His overall body of work has been very good. It's a bit down since 2004 though - more like 7.8, but I guess that's still not far off of where we need to be. 2005-2007 hurt that average quite a bit.

But the last three years, despite last year being a major disappointment, are still 9-11-8. Average of 9.3. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

Wow, guess when I put it that way, it seems hard to complain.

This is why I'm ok with KF as our coach. His overall body of work has been very good. It's a bit down since 2004 though - more like 7.8, but I guess that's still not far off of where we need to be. 2005-2007 hurt that average quite a bit.

But the last three years, despite last year being a major disappointment, are still 9-11-8. Average of 9.3. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

Wow, guess when I put it that way, it seems hard to complain.

I will say this until I'm blue in the face. KF has put himself in the position he's in with a lot of fans. Fans want more and always will, hell some Ohio State fans were unhappy with winning the Big Ten 7 years in a row or whatever it was because they didn't win a NC in those years. When you win one fans want to win another. That's the way it works.

Every single Iowa fan should be happy as hell for what KF has done in his time here, sure there have been some crappy results, horrible losses, and last year was a swing and a miss big time, just as 97 was under Fry.

Nothing anybody posts on a message board is going to change the way people feel but those that actually think that it's time for KF to go or what he has done here isn't impressive I will never understand.

Latest posts