The KF era in 3 yr spans. Not so bad?

Bond007

(99-01) 11-24 Rebuilding span. Paid off in the next 3 yrs.
(02-04) 31-7 Man that was fun! 3 #8 finishes. 2 Jan bowl wins.
(05-07) 19-18 Painfully mediocre.
(08-10) 28-11. A few too many close losses but not all that bad. Three bowl wins. A #7 finish and a #20 finish.
(11-13) Who knows. Off to a 3-2 start.

The KF era:

92-62 60% Winner
2 Big 10 Titles
2 BCS Bowl Appearances
1 BCS Bowl Win
9 Bowl Appearances
6-3 Bowl Record
4 Top 10 Finishes
1 National Coach of the Year Award
3 Big Ten Coach of the Year Awards
1 Doak Walker Award Winner (Shonn Greene)
1 Mackey Award Winner (Dallas Clark)
1 Outland Trophy Award Winner (Robert Gallery)
1 Lou Groza Award Winner (Nate Kaeding)
1 Davey Obrien Award Winner (Brad Banks)
1 Maxwell Award Winner (Brad Banks)
1 Heisman Trophy Runner-Up (Brad Banks)
2 Big Ten Offensive Players of the Year (Banks, Greene)
3 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year (Steinbach, Gallery, Bulaga)
1 Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year (Mitch King)
Numerous All-Americans and NFL Draft Picks

I would be willing to bet that about 100-105 of the 120 FBS teams would gladly trade their program's success and accomplishments for Iowa's over the course of Kirk Ferentz' tenure here. It is ridiculous that the above is not enough to satisfy a vocal minority in the Iowa fanbase.

Last edited:
The KF era:

92-62 60% Winner
2 Big 10 Titles
2 BCS Bowl Appearances
1 BCS Bowl Win
9 Bowl Appearances
6-3 Bowl Record
4 Top 10 Finishes
3 Big Ten Offensive Players of the Year (Banks, Tate, Greene)
2 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year (Gallery, Bulaga)

I would be willing to bet that about 100-105 of the 120 FBS teams would gladly trade their program's success and accomplishments for Iowa's over the course of Kirk Ferentz' tenure here. It is ridiculous that the above is not enough to satisfy a vocal minority in the Iowa fanbase.

That's a pretty impressive list. Most impressive being the draft picks. Gallary, Clark, Greenway, Bulaga, & Clayborn taken in the first round. Reiff will be added to that list next year.

However Tate wasn't the B10 Offensive Player of the Year by the coaches or media in any season while at Iowa.

The KF era:

92-62 60% Winner
2 Big 10 Titles
2 BCS Bowl Appearances
1 BCS Bowl Win
9 Bowl Appearances
6-3 Bowl Record
4 Top 10 Finishes
3 Big Ten Offensive Players of the Year (Banks, Tate, Greene)
2 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year (Gallery, Bulaga)

True but not his win lost recored with all that talent I love the guy the devolp players like no other but it dosent always so up on saturdays.

And we have seen 0 evolution offensively and our D still can't contain teams with dynamic offenses. Why have we been rebuilding / underperforming for the past few seasons? Don't we have an established staff that knows how to recruit? If you really think our O and D line woes are going to be fixed next year or the year after, I beg to differ. I like KF and am not a "he needs to go" guy, but the product on the field the last two years has been sketchy. Where are our D line recruits? Are we really going to ride Coker all season? This is not smart coaching folks. We had an entire week to prepare for PSU and laid an egg.

Impressive 136.

If I may suggest one thing, record against BCS competition. Games against non-BCS competition inflates record against overmatched talent. I wish this was really how we evaluated BCS teams/coaches. It's more of a true measure.

In fact I wish it was how we referred to team's record with a secondary mention of how they've done against non-BCS teams, so that it would almost seem as if these MACrificial lambs wouldn't even count. For instance Iowa would be 1-2 (2-0), Wisconsin would be 2-0 (3-0), etc.

And we have seen 0 evolution offensively and our D still can't contain teams with dynamic offenses. Why have we been rebuilding / underperforming for the past few seasons? Don't we have an established staff that knows how to recruit? If you really think our O and D line woes are going to be fixed next year or the year after, I beg to differ. I like KF and am not a "he needs to go" guy, but the product on the field the last two years has been sketchy. Where are our D line recruits? Are we really going to ride Coker all season? This is not smart coaching folks. We had an entire week to prepare for PSU and laid an egg.

LOL how many D's contain dynamic offenses. The fact they can't be contained is what makes them dynamic.

I don't want to get rid of Ferentz. I want him to upgrade his coaching staff though. It's long overdue. Sometimes you need to change things up just to avoid complacency. Ferentz has his strong points. But game plans and game management aren't one of them. With the way he can develop talent, imagine how much better we could be if he actually let a good offensive coordinator take over the reins. I keep hearing people talking about Bielema and what he's done. Iowa could be just a threat offensively if we would make these changes.
And yes, that means he would have to abandon his conservative approach that he cherishes so much.

Last edited:
I keep hearing people talking about Bielema and what he's done. Iowa could be just a threat offensively if we would make these changes.

Bielema landed a stud free agent QB and opened up the offense this year. Every other year, his offense is a clone of Iowa's offense, but he has had better guys up front and better RBs most years. It's not rocket science, he's just got a deeper in-state talent pool, he gets good guys out of Illinois and Ohio and his strength and conditioning program has surpassed ours.

Bielema landed a stud free agent QB and opened up the offense this year. Every other year, his offense is a clone of Iowa's offense, but he has had better guys up front and better RBs most years. It's not rocket science, he's just got a deeper in-state talent pool, he gets good guys out of Illinois and Ohio and his strength and conditioning program has surpassed ours.

He also was our recruiter in Florida, we've completely abandoned the state since he left.... guys like Barr, Russel, Cole, Hodge, Banks etc...

Just because they run the same offense doesn't mean they run it the same way. Chryst attacks on offense. Do you ever get the feeling that Iowa is attacking on offense?

And it's not just this year. Where did Wisconsin rank last year in offensive production compared to Iowa. Wisconsin was #1 in scoring offense. Iowa was #5. Wisconsin was #3 in total offense. Iowa was #8.

In 2009, Wiscy was #1 in scoring offense. Iowa was #10. Wisconsin was #1 in total offense. Iowa was #10.

If Bielema is being held up as the example of who to emulate, short of actually hiring Bielema, is there a coach out there closer to Bielema than Kirk Ferentz?

And lets not forget the little fact that only a couple of years ago there were plenty of Wisconsin fans that wanted Bielema gone. Most will probably deny they ever did but they did, there is only a handful of teams that can stay at the top every year, that list doesn't include Texas, Ohio State, USC, Florida and many other schools that people around the country would view hands down better than Iowa. Fans are fickle, always want more, sure it sucked sitting in Beaver Stadium watching a team struggle to do anything on O after seeing what it could be the two previous weeks but as the saying goes $&%? happens.

And lets not forget the little fact that only a couple of years ago there were plenty of Wisconsin fans that wanted Bielema gone. Most will probably deny they ever did but they did, there is only a handful of teams that can stay at the top every year, that list doesn't include Texas, Ohio State, USC, Florida and many other schools that people around the country would view hands down better than Iowa. Fans are fickle, always want more, sure it sucked sitting in Beaver Stadium watching a team struggle to do anything on O after seeing what it could be the two previous weeks but as the saying goes $&%? happens.

Finally, some perspective around here. We can't be top 10 every year, back your team and your coaches when we have a bad year, it happens to everyone (Texas getting blasted to OU, Notre Dame terrible last 10 years, no Florida school in top 25, USC who?, on and on).

The KF era:

92-62 60% Winner
2 Big 10 Titles
2 BCS Bowl Appearances
1 BCS Bowl Win
9 Bowl Appearances
6-3 Bowl Record
4 Top 10 Finishes
2 Big Ten Offensive Players of the Year (Banks, Greene)
3 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year (Steinbach, Gallery, Bulaga)

Actually this list looks pretty weak to me? Those are 'shared' B1G titles. Has never made it to the Rosebowl and many of the players listed account for only 1-2 seasons.

Considering how 'great' KF is developing players Oline etc.. only managed to get 3 B1G Oline players of the year? Really... only 3?

KF has survived on winning Bowl games only - end of story. Take last years disastrous season - had we not survived against Missouri there would be even more rancor this season! Its the bowl game that sucks the fans in for more disappointment next year.

Latest posts