The 'It can get real bad at Iowa if they hire the wrong coach' thinking

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
and I think that is true...Iowa is a bad hire away from rough sledding.

I think Kirk has done a great job at Iowa on the whole and talking about replacing him right now is pointless due to his contract.

What is worrisome to me is where this program is in year 14 and just three years removed from an Orange Bowl win and 11 win season. This isn't much to hang your hat on for optimism next year, other than hope...and you can't hang your hat on that in football.

I think Kirk has done a great job at Iowa on the whole and talking about replacing him right now is pointless due to his contract.

What is worrisome to me is where this program is in year 14 and just three years removed from an Orange Bowl win and 11 win season. This isn't much to hang your hat on for optimism next year, other than hope...and you can't hang your hat on that in football.

So giving up 2,500 yds in the last 5 games isn't "real bad"? Losing to CMU isnt "real bad". Having an offense than ranks in the 100s isnt "real bad"? Starting walk ons at key positions in year 14 isnt "real bad"?

If that isnt real bad, then I'd hate to know what your definition is!

No doubt that we could be a bad hire away from continuous mediocrity.

Or we could be an amazing hire away from an outright B10 Championship.

It's all about perspective. I mean Ferentz isn't immortal. Eventually Iowa will have to get a new football coach. The whole.."Look what can possibly happen" argument doesn't really fly with me. But I agree it's pointless to really talk about it because of the ridiculous contract.

B-B-B-BUT TATE TO HOLLOWAY!! DALLAS CLARK!!1! 7 GETS 6!!1!!!1!!!!!

The last part of your post Jon is very worrisome. Because the mindset of this club is disappointment. This club doesn't know how to win. And quite frankly, this club doesn't know how to compete right now. That is the scary part. Caff spent 2 years trying to get rid of the "Lick" effect. The jury is still out in regards to whether that mindset is completely gone, but at least Caff has shown (the chair slam at MSU last year) that the "fold" mentality is on its way out the door. The culture and mindset of this program right now is beyond anything I could have even imagined in year 14 of a coach's tenure. That will be KF's toughest task on his to do list going forward....changing the mindset. Believe me, I'm not unhappy to see some guys go from this team. But the players left behind have only seen this program at this kind of level. Whoever the coach will be has a HUGE mountain to climb to change the standard.

BS, if Nebraska can recruit and win, if Wisky can recruit and win, if NW can recruit and win.....Iowa can hire a new coach and recruit and win! There is money to let Ferentz go and bring in a capable coach. The game has passed him by. The time for change is now, or the money is going to stop flowing and the program will be driven into the ground and become the laughing stock of the conference if it hasn't already?

How designed that website? I would like to hire him to redesign my companys site. Outstanding functionality

Not sure "how" designed it but I do like some of the possible hire options. Not to mention if we thought this year we had a cake non conf schedule next year will be awesome when we go 1-3 through it.

Iowa is one bad hire away from Ron Zook, but they could equally be 1 good hire away from Chip Kelly.

Yeah, but there are five Zooks out there to every Kelly.

Also, keep in mind the guy they hired after they fired Zook is much worse than Zook ever was.

Jon, is this your way of tipping you cap a bit to the counter-opinion to the "Iowa is one bad hire away..." groupthink to those that said "Yeah, but Iowa can reach that same destination by doing nothing while the fruit rots on the vine?"

Because it doesn't take a bad firing/hiring to put the program in the ditch....all along it was said things would never get too bad "As long as Ferentz is at Iowa......"

Well.....

I don't get the "we're one bad hire away" mentality. It's something only a fearful weakling would believe.
Anyone with confidence and decent intellect would never feel or think that way.
It preordains failure. That's pathetic.

BS, if Nebraska can recruit and win, if Wisky can recruit and win, if NW can recruit and win.....Iowa can hire a new coach and recruit and win! There is money to let Ferentz go and bring in a capable coach. The game has passed him by. The time for change is now, or the money is going to stop flowing and the program will be driven into the ground and become the laughing stock of the conference if it hasn't already?

Nobody is saying that you can't recruit and win at Iowa. But to your point, where would we be if we had some seniors still from that 2008 class? That is a big part of where we are at right now.

If KF wanted to eventually hand this over to Brian I will go waaaay out on a limb and say this season was a setback in terms of that ever possibly happening.

Man, poor dude or dudette cant say nothing these days unless its flashy or makes you a cup of coffee. I dont care about the site design at all just the points that are made.

hey man, I wasn't attacking you personally, chill out
I just think your website is kind of cheezy-looking, and needs proofreading/editing
Just keep working on the format; you're right, the content is decent

Ron Zook has a Rose Bowl and won his last two bowl games - now Tim Beckman (or Tim Brewster) on the other hand.....

False. Zook won one Bowl his entire time at Illinois. He was fired before last year's Kraft Hunger Bowl, and Vic Koening was the winning coach.

#pwnt

Latest posts