The Iowa Players See You Leaving Carver Early

I feel like these guys are always crying. You’re mid game and you’re worried about what the fans are doing? Lol lord

We’re 19-5 we are behind you stop worrying about some idiot leaving early

Last edited:
Players calling out fans is rarely a good thing.

It's not a bad thing either in this situation. I highly doubt, and would almost bet a lot of money in saying that because Tyler Cook said this, isn't going to deter someone from going or not going to a game this season. If it makes them stay a little longer, I would say it's a good thing.

It's not a bad thing either in this situation. I highly doubt, and would almost bet a lot of money in saying that because Tyler Cook said this, isn't going to deter someone from going or not going to a game this season. If it makes them stay a little longer, I would say it's a good thing.

This... I'd be more concerned about why you were tanking to a lousy Northwestern team.

BlackAndGold3:
"I feel like these guys are always crying. You’re mid game and you’re worried about what the fans are doing? Lol lord
We’re 19-5 we are behind you stop worrying about some idiot leaving early"

There may not be a positive benefit to it, but at least someone says it. It's not like there's going to be negative to it either. So what he puts a bug in there ear if they even see it and maybe next time they don't leave? That's great, and I would say that was somewhat a success then. I also fail to believe that it's only the older people leaving early. Carver needs a makeover of how seating is arranged and the athletics department needs to do a better job of putting butts in seats no matter grown adults or students, but still I don't think TC is wrong for saying something, at least somebody is.

I think both carver and kinnick need major overhauls, but neither are likely. The concourses at both are a nightmare for crowds. Add to it the fact that IC is a bitch to get your car out of on gamedays...cant say I blame people for wanting to get a head start when your team is down 15 with 4 minutes left and has a 1% chance of winning.

I feel like these guys are always crying. You’re mid game and you’re worried about what the fans are doing? Lol lord

We’re 19-5 we are behind you stop worrying about some idiot leaving early

But in the context of how underwhelming Iowa's fans are in relation to other teams' fans during their home games, it's not totally irrelevant.

But in the context of how underwhelming Iowa's fans are in relation to other teams' fans during their home games, it's not totally irrelevant.

Most fan bases in the country would start leaving if they were down 15 at home to that northwestern team. I wouldn’t because I paid and I’m gonna watch the entire game but that’s just me. Stop crying over every little thing and just play ball is what I’m getting at.

This... I'd be more concerned about why you were tanking to a lousy Northwestern team.

BlackAndGold3:
"I feel like these guys are always crying. You’re mid game and you’re worried about what the fans are doing? Lol lord
We’re 19-5 we are behind you stop worrying about some idiot leaving early"

The number I heard of people actually leaving was like half of the crowd. I'm sure that's pretty noticeable to anyone (players, coaches, etc.). That was said by reporters themselves. They weren't tanking either. They had a bad game, it's basketball. But good teams find a way to win these kind of games, which they did.

They aren't leaving, they are just going to watch the rest of the game on the concourse so they can be among the first out the door when the game ends. I see it all the time no matter the game. 43 continuous rows of seats is alot of concrete to traverse just to get out or get concessions. That's why I always sit within 10 rows from the top.

Most fan bases in the country would start leaving if they were down 15 at home to that northwestern team. I wouldn’t because I paid and I’m gonna watch the entire game but that’s just me. Stop crying over every little thing and just play ball is what I’m getting at.

Point well taken. TC's just not used to being on a team this good since being at Iowa so he's working through his emotions I guess.

They aren't leaving, they are just going to watch the rest of the game on the concourse so they can be among the first out the door when the game ends. I see it all the time no matter the game. 43 continuous rows of seats is alot of concrete to traverse just to get out or get concessions. That's why I always sit within 10 rows from the top.
This is reasonable, especially with the design of Carver. Just because they're leaving their seats does not mean they are actually leaving the building.

How are you going to rush the court from up there?

It's funny but on the flip side, calling out your own fans for this is kinda weaksauce. You were 10.5 point favorites at home and down 15 with 4 minutes left. Your team played uninspired basketball for 36 minutes and you had a 1% chance of winning the game with 3 minutes left.

Let's not act like the players knew they were going to win this game the entire time
Got to remember too that fans come from all over the state. Late Sunday game means a two-hour drive home to Des Moines or Dubuque, add an hour to that to get out of Iowa City, seriously how did the university and the city turn it into such a hell to get out of Iowa City after a game? I used to be able to get out in about 20 minutes, now it takes about an hour in any direction. Sure if you live in Iowa City or close like Cedar Rapids you shouldn't be leaving early. I never leave early but some of these weekday 8 pm games sure leave me tempted. I'm a two-hour drive and not as young as I used to be, getting home at midnight on a work/school night is tough.

Got to remember too that fans come from all over the state. Late Sunday game means a two-hour drive home to Des Moines or Dubuque, add an hour to that to get out of Iowa City, seriously how did the university and the city turn it into such a hell to get out of Iowa City after a game? I used to be able to get out in about 20 minutes, now it takes about an hour in any direction. Sure if you live in Iowa City or close like Cedar Rapids you shouldn't be leaving early. I never leave early but some of these weekday 8 pm games sure leave me tempted. I'm a two-hour drive and not as young as I used to be, getting home at midnight on a work/school night is tough.

If you park at Kinnick Stadium or at the south end of the finkbine lot you can get out on Melrose fairly quickly. If you leave on Hawkins you're screwed.

This is reasonable, especially with the design of Carver. Just because they're leaving their seats does not mean they are actually leaving the building.

Yes but it still looks bad. To see all those people filing up the stairs all around Carver and then all the empty seats they leave behind is embarrassing. The fault is in the way Carver is built, you can watch the game from all around the entire concourse, there are TV's up there as well, and there isn't bad place in the building to watch the game. In all venues people will stand in areas where they can watch the ending of the game but get out of the stadium quickly but the standing room is limited, in Carver there is a lot of standing room.

On the other hand, I like not being able to see the big empty stairways because they are filled with people leaving. I hate seeing all that empty space during games.

Since you all have been talking about Carver so much I've been paying attention to a lot of others. Their really isn't any difference. The only difference is how old they are. The newer ones are built to code with the fire marshal lurking around and the old ones are a lot smaller and have the fold away bleachers like we had in high school. Those are the ones that have the student sections down close to the floor. I wonder if it would be up to code if Carver put in bleachers like that around the bottom? A lot of Big East schools have it like Duke. Mostly I see the wide stairs just like at Carver.

The folks who left missed the best part of the game. Was killer finish. Those part timers got what they deserved.

Last edited:

Latest posts