The Iowa Players See You Leaving Carver Early

Fans are leaving early, he made the comment pretty light heartedly that they should stick around. Got no issue with it, they should. Iowa should have played better too, and I bet TC and the team agrees with that as well.

The fact is, it's an epidemic that happens at every sporting event or concert. I see it at Creighton games, I see it at every arena concert I attend. People love to get home earlier than expected for whatever reason and it is in no way exclusive to Iowa hoops. I personally think people should spend their minutes on this earth however the hell they want.

Last edited:
I went to Creighton vs TOSU earlier this year. TOSU in Omaha? It was a big deal. The game was close- Creighton led in the 2nd half. 5 point game or so with a little under 5 minutes to play. The place CLEARED out. Like, half the stadium was empty. I attend 6 or 7 of their games a year, most are close to sell out (they haven't been this year due to them being pretty bad, but honestly, they were still bubbly last week) and EVERY game - max exodus of people with a little under 5 left.

Fans are leaving early, he made the comment pretty light heartedly that they should stick around. Got no issue with it, they should. Iowa should have player better too, and I bet TC and the team agrees with that as well.

The fact is, it's an epidemic that happens at every sporting event or concert. I see it at Creighton games, I see it at every arena concert I attend. People love to get home earlier than expected for whatever reason and it is in no way exclusive to Iowa hoops. I personally think people should spend their minutes on this earth however the hell they want.

If you watch the whole interview with him from last night, he goes on and on saying they need to be better and were fortunate to be NW:

LINK

I attend probably 20 or so arena concerts every year, some at Wells Fargo - tons here in Omaha. Never fails, the place is half the crowd the last 20 minutes of a show. EVERY time. Doesn't matter who it is. Saw Jack White at Baxter arena here in Omaha. Brand new facility. Great seating and place to see a show. He doesn't allow cell phones at his concerts. So, you know this, the people that are there, are there to see him. They are die hards. He does that to weed a lot of casual fans off his show. Before he even got to his 3 encore performance the crowd was about half as big. Those Omahan's gotta get home before Matlock.

Last edited:
I don't have strong feelings either way about Cook's comments, because I can see both sides of it. You can't really blame people for filing out with 4 minutes to go, the way things were looking. But it's also weak if people were leaving early at the Michigan game too, as someone else said. The team did their part in that game.

In any sport but college basketball id agree but this stuff happens a lot in college ball.

Coming back from down 15 with 4:18 left happens incredibly rarely.

That said, tremendous win. I think the Mich game and this game are just some games the players will never forget about, and that's just honestly great for them.

I never, ever criticize fans for leaving early. It’s their ticket, they can do what they want. Don’t like it? Then go to all the games instead of sitting at home complaining about the people who do go.

As someone pointed out.....if all the “blue hairs” (I am so sick of that term) stayed home Carver would be 1/2 empty...or worse.

It literally is just what happens now ....every where. I would love for someone to dispute what I am saying, but they can't, because it's just how it is. Happens in football. Happens at Iowa, happens at Nebraska (greatest fans on earth right?) I don't know when it started. I don't do it. But it's just a "thing" now.

It literally is just what happens now ....every where. I would love for someone to dispute what I am saying, but they can't, because it's just how it is. Happens in football. Happens at Iowa, happens at Nebraska (greatest fans on earth right?) I don't know when it started. I don't do it. But it's just a "thing" now.

I've gone to plenty other venues and I've not seen the mass exit like the one in Carver. Even in Kinnick, I know there are some that leave early, but it's not like the ratio I see in Carver. The Cub games I've gone too have a few that leave early but, again, nothing like Carver with 4 minutes to go.

I've gone to plenty other venues and I've not seen the mass exit like the one in Carver. Even in Kinnick, I know there are some that leave early, but it's not like the ratio I see in Carver. The Cub games I've gone too have a few that leave early but, again, nothing like Carver with 4 minutes to go.

hmm... been a couple of Cubs games, tons of Rockies and KC games, they are considerably less full towards the end of games. I think it's likely more noticeable because unlike most venues, Carver has no concourses or levels. You see everyone leaving because they all have to climb the stairs which are in view of every fan, player coach in the stadium. The next event I go to that I don't see it at will be the first.

Yep, happens everywhere. There are still a ton of people that stay until the end (including myself) but there are also a ton that want to beat the rush and take off early.

For me, I've been to way too many games where comebacks happen and those tend to be some of my fondest sports memories, so I like to stay. For others maybe they are not as die hard as me or have to drive for a few hours to get home and have little ones with them etc. Whatever the case, to each their own.

It's still disappointing to see that many take off early but I get it, especially when the game is out of hand. Now if it's a close game and especially when your team has a chance for the upset? That one I don't understand unless you have somewhere that you need to be and time truly is an issue. I mean even with little ones, wouldn't you rather share that memory with them experiencing the atmosphere of the arena/stadium vs hearing it on the radio on the way home? If not, I think one is missing out on some of greatest parts of being a sports fan.

hmm... been a couple of Cubs games, tons of Rockies and KC games, they are considerably less full towards the end of games. I think it's likely more noticeable because unlike most venues, Carver has no concourses or levels. You see everyone leaving because they all have to climb the stairs which are in view of every fan, player coach in the stadium. The next event I go to that I don't see it at will be the first.

Actually I think part of the problem is the concourse. I’ve acknowledged that every game has a certain amount of people leave early but at Carver you have those people that leave early plus all the people that watch the rest of the game from the top and then bolt for the exit when it’s over. If that top was closed off I think you’d see more people stay in their seats.

I never, ever criticize fans for leaving early. It’s their ticket, they can do what they want. Don’t like it? Then go to all the games instead of sitting at home complaining about the people who do go.

As someone pointed out.....if all the “blue hairs” (I am so sick of that term) stayed home Carver would be 1/2 empty...or worse.

I dont criticize others for leaving early but I am stunned sometimes when it is a close game, especially football when there are really only 4 to 5 conf games at kinnick a year. Yesterday was not close really with 4-5 minutes left. I like to see an early season blowout in favor of the hawk football and bball teams so I can see some 2nd and 3rd stringers play and I almost always stay until the end (except for 2012 ISU at Iowa fball game). I just dont understand how it seemed the hawks were not primed at the opening jump for this game.

I hardly go to HCA to see a game anymore because of winter driving, stupid 8 oclock start times and therefore getting home later after a 2.5 hour drive. But I was thinking of going to this game then I thought hell get back at 10 PM on a Sunday didnt seem that great of an idea. I am glad I didnt take 8 hours or so to go to the game with potential bad weather.

I can understand some people get there early, watch the pregame routine, watch most of the game and they leave early probably to beat the traffic jam.

It sounds to me like the student section was a non-factor so where were they??? That is a shame when you have the 20th ranked team. I really think the millenial age group will be one that doesnt continue to go to games in person but will be casual watchers on TV/devices.

Actually I think part of the problem is the concourse. I’ve acknowledged that every game has a certain amount of people leave early but at Carver you have those people that leave early plus all the people that watch the rest of the game from the top and then bolt for the exit when it’s over. If that top was closed off I think you’d see more people stay in their seats.

yeah, I have heard that some people have tradition to meet up there at the end of games. WTF is that all about haha?

I was going to post after returning from CHA late last night, what a gutty incredible win!

The Hawks come off huge wins against Indiana and Michigan. A top 20 team that is a blast to watch. The team comes out to CHA with 5000 empty seats (a guess), no student section, and an atmosphere of a wake.

Team got back at 3am Friday from IU, had one day to prep JNW and had no legs or focus - it showed. Needed some crowd energy. TC is spot on - I feel bad for these guys. They deserve more than the half empty morgue that presented last night.

Where are our loyal fans and students showing up loud supporting the program or this team? It was embarrassing.

Hawks Nest - a joke-PSU has more students show up and they’ve won one game.

Many people leave at the under 8 or 4 TO, not just blue hairs. And the score doesn’t matter. Seems like a waste of time and money to me, but whatever.

Iowa has three home games left.
Buy a ticket.
Come to yell and support this team.
Everything else are just excuses.
Go Hawks!

I was going to post after returning from CHA late last night, what a gutty incredible win!

The Hawks come off huge wins against Indiana and Michigan. A top 20 team that is a blast to watch. The team comes out to CHA with 5000 empty seats (a guess), no student section, and an atmosphere of a wake.

Team got back at 3am Friday from IU, had one day to prep JNW and had no legs or focus - it showed. Needed some crowd energy. TC is spot on - I feel bad for these guys. They deserve more than the half empty morgue that presented last night.

Where are our loyal fans and students showing up loud supporting the program or this team? It was embarrassing.

Many people leave at the under 8 or 4 TO, not just blue hairs. And the score doesn’t matter. Seems like a waste of time and money to me, but whatever.

Buy a ticket.
Go Hawks!

I live 4 hours away - but I go to 2 games at CHA a year typically. Go early and stay late. I will also attend games in Lincoln and B1G tournament over the next few weeks. I will see the exact same fan behavior in Lincoln and The United Center as far as leaving early.

What's more concerning to me, is the overall interest in this basketball team. I used to think that winning would cure all - I am no longer in that boat and I think that Carver the venue is ultimately the problem. I used to have a love for that place and used to think people blaming it on the venue were crazy, I no longer feel that way.

Buy a ticket.
Go Hawks!

I have no problem with TC's response, but I have no problem with it because he also added that they've got to show up and play the first 36 minutes. It's not "fair" to the players to have to watch the fans leave. They should be able to joke about it with the media after an incredible win, however lets not forget that the weather and road conditions were anything but good yesterday and those same fans risked a lot to get to Carver. It's equally not fair that those same fans had to watch a team play with no legs or focus for the first 36 minutes. Those fans had every right to leave when they did based on what they'd seen up to that point, just like TC had every right to jokingly call them out for it.

Sometimes teams just don't "have it" on a particular night....whether it's classwork, schedules, road trips, etc. When you're dealing with college students between 18 and 22, that's going to happen.

What SHOULDN'T happen is for fans, like last night, to sit on their hands and simply react to what's happening, rather than trying to will the team forward. At the good arenas, you see those fans do that. Ours, for whatever reason, don't.

Latest posts