The interception on the goal line

By no means am I complaining about the time out not being called, but it's amazing how many times a field goal is blown dead when the opposing team is trying to kick a field goal. I know its different lines of sight but its just ironic. You really don't see offensive plays blown dead when the coach with the ball is trying to call a timeout from the sideline like you do when a coach on the defensive side of the ball wants one. Just an observation.

I get so annoyed that every time Iowa plays one of these big money schools that Iowa needs to blow these teams out to take it out of the hands of the refs. Such as against the suckeyes last year. Otherwise the dirty money influences the refs, then you get refs ignoring the coaches time out calls, holds being ignored, there was an obvious targeting call with helmet to helmet contact that was also ignored, TJ's catch being overturned was complete rubbish, and the list could go on and on. Big money also pays for the ncaa to let them molest children as well. Pedo State needs to be punished, and we need impartial officiating in all games.

Maybe he needed to be more of a dick like Franklin and run screaming onto the field. Seems to work for other coaches.

KF needed to position himself right at the ref's location then run and holler like hell. Maybe he was right at the ref's elbow. If not, a big part is on KF.

I believe a run play was called. Not certain though. That said, the moment NS checked off on the play a timeout should have been called by the staff. ZERO reason not to run the ball there. ZERO. Even if you score on the pass, you are leaving way too much time. Run the ball...quick hit so if you're stopped you dont lose yards. If you score so be it. If you dont, no yardage lost...you run clock or force TO...

On 2nd...then run or throw...I still say run...quick hitter again....

On 3rd...well...you make $600k...dial it up...
It's always tough to score too soon, but that has to be the focus of the offense. If we run and fumble, or get stopped on downs there would be even more second-guessing. Nate made a mistake, been a couple of days now, saw pros doing just as dumb of things on Sunday.

Actually that was a screen play to Young.
If Fant was awake, he would have been blocking the guy who intercepted the ball and it would have just been another poorly thrown incomplete pass.

Agreed - Fant should get as much heat as Stanley over this play.... obviously Fant doesn't know what is going on and looks for WR to help - the other 10 DO KNOW.... always amazing how many plays in football get messed up (on either side of the ball) where 10/11 do their job, but 1 guy doesn't.

I could have sworn they got the interception that stopped us from taking the lead. Seems to me that cost Iowa the game. Maybe I'm missing something.....

The lack of the time out. The reasons Iowa lost have to do with coaching consisteny, qb consistency, lack of power game, inconsistent line play, youth on D, failure to use best players....so on.

What is nice is having sll these weaknesses and still be in the game this year.

You missed the core meaning. You whiffed.

However they did clearly call out, the refs saw it, yet they ignored the coaches. There are multiple photographs online showing Coach Ferentz signaling for the time out, another ref had his head turned looking directly at the coach, and all of that was 2 seconds prior to the ball being snapped. That’s plenty of time to blow the whistle! There is clear evidence that all the conditions for a calling a timeout were in place. The blame be should 100% on the refs, and not the coaches.

However they did clearly call out, the refs saw it, yet they ignored the coaches. There are multiple photographs online showing Coach Ferentz signaling for the time out, another ref had his head turned looking directly at the coach, and all of that was 2 seconds prior to the ball being snapped. That’s plenty of time to blow the whistle! There is clear evidence that all the conditions for a calling a timeout were in place. The blame be should 100% on the refs, and not the coaches.

Maybe, but it was hectic, loud, and the refs had a lot of stuff to pay attention to. Bet it happens a lot in these situations that coaches don't get timeouts granted at the last second or two.

Agreed - Fant should get as much heat as Stanley over this play.... obviously Fant doesn't know what is going on and looks for WR to help - the other 10 DO KNOW.... always amazing how many plays in football get messed up (on either side of the ball) where 10/11 do their job, but 1 guy doesn't.

So how do you know Fant wasnt relaying the audible to the receiver?

This just adds insult to injury. Two of the tougher losses I can remember in the same season.

However the pictures shows his head turned looking at coach Ferentz, there is no excuse not to grant the timeout.

However the pictures shows his head turned looking at coach Ferentz, there is no excuse not to grant the timeout.
I don't understand how some people think fans shouldn't call out refs for bad calls. It's weird.
No photo or video has been presented showing Kirk or any other coach calling for a timeout. Furthermore, Rob mentioned that Kirk said in his press conference that he wished he had called a timeout (Kirk, not the ref). It's glaringly obvious that Kirk Ferentz never attempted to call a timeout. So, just stop already!

No photo or video has been presented showing Kirk or any other coach calling for a timeout. Furthermore, Rob mentioned that Kirk said in his press conference that he wished he had called a timeout (Kirk, not the ref). It's glaringly obvious that Kirk Ferentz never attempted to call a timeout. So, just stop already!

Here it is ... :)

images

The greatest play in Iowa FB lore, Tate to Holloway, was simply poor clock management on Iowa's part that happened to go our way.

It actually wasn't.

Tate and KoK saw LSU defenders were confused, and there was a LB and a DB that were trying to get things straight. That is why Tate decided to go forth with the play, and why none of the staff called for a timeout.

The safety that was supposed to give help to the LB/DB on Holloway veered off to Chandler, and the guy on Hinkel was in straight-man. Chandler was essentially double-covered (although it was, effectively, one-and-a-half covered), which left Holloway by himself until it was too late.

The greatest play in Iowa FB lore, Tate to Holloway, was simply poor clock management on Iowa's part that happened to go our way.

As well, Saban threw the guy under the bus in post-game presser with the "Too-bad-one-defensive-foul-up-ruined-it-for-everyone" comment.

Latest posts