The Insight Has a Tough Call

I know it's impossible and won't happen, But one of the bowls matching big 10 against the big 12 should have a cy-hawk rematch. I want so bad to play the clowns again. We definitely win on a neutral field and at kinnick. I don't want to wait a full year to get revenge. But i guess I'll have to.

Assuming Michigan will get in is foolish. They are only a TD favorite this week against OSU. Plus they have to somehow get into the top 14 of the BCS. They are 15 right now, but the gap between 14 and 15 is enormous. Big enough to where a loss by many of the top 14 wouldn't likely drop them below Michigan.

You are right, Ohio State is a huge rivalry game for them and no one should assume Michigan will walk all over them. But IF they beat Ohio State they will be sitting in the clubhouse with 10 wins and ranked (at least) 15th in the BCS. Teams above them still have to play each other that can knock each other out. There is so much football to be played yet that if Michigan wins more than likely they will be in the top 14. A eligible Michigan will be very attractive to a BCS as an at large since they travel well and have really good TV ratings. But if they lose against Ohio State then the Big Ten will only get 1 team.

I watched the Iowa game at a bar in Orlando this weekend. While there, I sat with an alum from OSU. He said there was no way OSU goes to a bowl game this year. He also heard PSU will opt out if they don't make it to the Rose Bowl. If that is true, Iowa should be in a position for a decent bowl game if we beat Nebraska.

I watched the Iowa game at a bar in Orlando this weekend. While there, I sat with an alum from OSU. He said there was no way OSU goes to a bowl game this year. He also heard PSU will opt out if they don't make it to the Rose Bowl. If that is true, Iowa should be in a position for a decent bowl game if we beat Nebraska.

A self imposed bowl ban in a year they finish 6-6 looks pathetic. It would have had more merit had they banned themselves a few weeks ago back when they were still the race to win the Big Ten. You know damn well they would have accepted a Rose Bowl bid or a bid to one of the better bowls.

I did not think MIchigan would get into the BCS either but it apprears very likely they will.

At large bids have to be in the top 14.

Loser Big Ten title game will drop out of top 14...Michigan will move into the top 14.

1. LSU - in
2. Alabama - in
3. Arkansas - out (only 2 SEC teams)
4. Okie St. - in
5. Va Tech - in
6. Stanford - in
7. Boise St. - in
8. Houston - out (only one non-BCS conference team)
9. Oklahoma - in
10. Oregon - in
11. K State - out (only two Big 12 teams)
12. S Carolina - out (only 2 SEC teams)
13. Geogria - out (only 2 SEC teams)
14. Michigan - in

Rutgers in as an unrated Big East Champion.

Looks like a #14 Michigan vs. a #8 Houston for the last BCS spot...from a money standpoint it seems easy.

I did not think MIchigan would get into the BCS either but it apprears very likely they will.

At large bids have to be in the top 14.

Loser Big Ten title game will drop out of top 14...Michigan will move into the top 14.

1. LSU - in
2. Alabama - in
3. Arkansas - out (only 2 SEC teams)
4. Okie St. - in
5. Va Tech - in
6. Stanford - in
7. Boise St. - in
9. Oklahoma - in
10. Oregon - in
11. K State - out (only two Big 12 teams)
12. S Carolina - out (only 2 SEC teams)
13. Geogria - out (only 2 SEC teams)
14. Michigan - in

Rutgers in as an unrated Big East Champion.

Looks like a #14 Michigan vs. a #8 Houston for the last BCS spot...from a money standpoint it seems easy.

So you have Michigan finishing higher than the Big10 champ? Michigan needs to hope that some of these teams 10-14 lose another game. And I think that there will be some pressure to include an undefeated Houston as the last at-large.

7. Boise St. - in

Small correction to make here.

Boise State has zero chance of getting a BCS bid unless someone takes them as an at large (which would be dumb). If Houston goes on to finish undefeated then they will get the bid since they won their conference, if they lose then TCU could get the bid IF they get into the top 14 as winners of the Mountain West. For a non AQ team to get a bid they have to win their conference and finish in the top 16 of the BCS standings (TCU is currently 20th).

Last edited:
How does Ferentz's salary have any bearing on the fan? the program? et al?

Is it really that big of a deal if Ferentz makes $3.8M or $2.5M a year?

Why does that matter?

Again, if people think Ferentz is bad coach, you can debate that. But bringing up his salary doesn't do anything to bolster an argument.

"Oh, but Iowa could go out and get a GOOD coach for the money they are paying Ferentz" someone will say. Really? You really think Iowa is going to get a better coach to come to Iowa City. You think there are better coaches in the country than Ferentz that would want to come to Iowa? Doubtful. Very doubtful.

So I say again, the salary argument is baseless. The LENGTH of the contract would give you a leg to stand on, but not the $$.

I know my post is hijacking, but SS's post logically fails on every level.

Let's start with the bold. SS, you don't think Iowa will ever get a better coach than Ferentz? Really? IMO, you've set your sites really low.

Why is Iowa paying the, I think, 5th highest salary of college football coaches? In your opinion, if Iowa can only get the results of 2 straight Insight Bowl appearances - if Iowa beats Nebby this Friday, maybe an 8-4 regular season record this year and a 7-5 regular season record last year - why waste 5th best money when Iowa can never be, in your opinion, 5th best? Maybe pay coaches what they can deliver and save some wasted money for stadium renovations?

Ferentz is too conservative. For example, his team makes one mistake and you rarely see that player/play the rest of the game/year. Will we see McCall the rest of the year? I know Ferentz wanted to get him on the field. Will Ferentz want him on the field now?

He can't recruit. He doesn't use the athleticism of his recruits (which is why he can't recruit).

Now, he has an outdated and ailing DC. What will Ferentz do about this situation? Will he do what's better for his football philosophy and Iowa football or will he not make the hard decision?

Last edited:
You guys drive me nuts with all this salary talk. Just because you pay a coach x amount will not giving you x results. The amount of salary will never guarantee that Iowa will not lose to a team they are not supposed to, it is why they play the game. The salary that Iowa pays KF is what the position gets. Hiring a coach is not like buying a business or purchasing stock. You guys want to debate on whether or not KF should be coach, fine, start threads about firing him but leave the salary out of it.

A self imposed bowl ban in a year they finish 6-6 looks pathetic. It would have had more merit had they banned themselves a few weeks ago back when they were still the race to win the Big Ten. You know damn well they would have accepted a Rose Bowl bid or a bid to one of the better bowls.

That's basically what I told the OSU fan. That ban will actually save them money. If the B1G any sort of sack, they would take OSU's share of the conference take and split it amongst the other schools. They should do the same for PSU as well.

Top 15 is closer than Top 50.

In the 2000s (the bulk of Ferentz's time at Iowa), Iowa was the 24th best team in the nation.

ncaas-top-programs-2000-10.jpg

Ferentz also had one of the better B1G records in the last 10 years, as well.

Of the 23 teams ranked ahead of us in winning %, 19 are in major conferences. Of those 19, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, and Miami have all had serious problems with the NCAA during that decade. So no, it is not out of line to say that Iowa was a top-15 program in the 2000s. If the next ten years (which is right about what KF is signed for) go as well as those did, we're all going to be pretty happy.

I think Penn State will get picked in the normal course. PSU cleaned house and it would be unfortunate to hold the players accountable for the actions of people that took place nearly a decade ago. Not to go off on a tangent about the issue, but the Nittany Lion Nation is too proud not to follow their team and they have a team worthy of a really good bowl bid.

I'd love to see nothing more than see their players, who have carried themselves with a lot of class despite some serious distractions, to upset Wisky (not likely) and then drop a big stink bomb on the entire B1G conference in Indianapolis and take the Paterno-less trophy back to State College (not likely either, but would be a story for the ages!).

Latest posts