The Insight Has a Tough Call

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Walking through my bowl projections..I have a Two Up scenario...Wisky to Rose, Michigan Fiesta, Nebraska beating Iowa and in Cap One, MSU to Outback...

INSIGHT: They have a 9-3 Penn State team sitting here. In most years, they'd love this prospect and in most years, Penn State would have been the Outback's choice over Michigan State and the Spartans would be an easy team to slot here. However, this is not most years as it relates to Penn State. I ask the same question this week that I asked one week ago; what bowl and bowl sponsor is going to want to welcome Penn State to their city this year and to be a de facto representative of their product? Would there be potential product boycotts? I don't know, that sounds a bit extreme but it's a consideration.

The Insight's choices here are Penn State, a 6-6 Ohio State team or a 7-5 Iowa team. Iowa was there last year, but they do have a strong local following. The Insight won't get many shots at Ohio State, but the Buckeyes have been to the Valley of the Sun several times in recent years and this is a down year for them. Will Penn State fans want to travel this year? Or might they travel to support their team, players that have nothing to do with the alleged horrors that have taken place in the program and administration?

Had Ohio State beaten Penn State, I think the Nits would have finished 8-4 and would have been passed over for this game as well as the Gator Bowl and would have been invited to the Ticket City Bowl. However, their win against Penn State really shakes things up. Ask yourself this question; of these three schools, what's the safest play for the Insight Bowl here? 9-3 Penn State with baggage, 6-6 Ohio State with no buzz or 7-5 Iowa who was just there a year ago and is a solid gate draw and is the only one of the three not currently being investigated by either the NCAA, law enforcement or both? ?

That's some really good insight there, JD. Great post.

I think Penn State fans will travel. They've been very supportive of their program.

Not sure any bowl wants to touch them, though.

Insight will have a hard time looking past all the Iowa snowbirds in AZ no matter that we played there last year. Didn't we set an attendance record for that bowl?

I think Penn State is a hot potato for the bowl selection committees. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

One of the bowls, Ticket City I think, said they would take Penn State if they fell to them. They will go bowling and I don't think the Insight will have a problem taking them.

PSU should come out now and say they won't accept any bowl bids out of respect for the alleged victims. It'd stink for the seniors, but it would be a great first step for them to begin rebuilding their tremendously tattered reputation.

If there is a Two Up, the only bowl that would 'have' to take Penn State would be the Little Cesears.

The new AD at Penn State might say no bowling this year... but if they win vs Wis that is a different story (maybe rose bowl). Rose bowl or nothing.

PSU should come out now and say they won't accept any bowl bids out of respect for the alleged victims. It'd stink for the seniors, but it would be a great first step for them to begin rebuilding their tremendously tattered reputation.

Never happen. Too much greed and "the program" is the 800 Lb gorilla.
And I'll go even further: PSU will voluntarily give ZERO money to the sandusky victims. Ever.

I thought I have heard before that Big Ten schools are contractually obligated to accept a bowl bid if offered one. Is that correct?

Would TV (espn) have any influence on the bowl committees? What I mean is PSU and OSU are bigger stories this year than Iowa. Surely, espn would want one of those teams in primetime for a ratings boost at the Insight Bowl. The alternatives would be 1 p.m. EST on January 1st for the Gator Bowl or 11 am CST on December 31st for the Texas Bowl. I'm guessing the timeslot and day of the Insight Bowl will provide higher ratings for TV than the Gator or Texas Bowls. Penn St and Ohio St will provide higher TV ratings than Iowa would. Is there anything to this?

So, just to be clear: we are paying our coach $3,000,000 + per year and are "hoping" the insight bowl will pick us for the second straight year?

So, just to be clear: we are paying our coach $3,000,000 + per year and are "hoping" the insight bowl will pick us for the second straight year?

We're at the point that if I made a post 'the Sky is blue' it would inexorably lead back to a Ferentz is overpaid reply.

Also, you should change your screen name to something like 'Ferentz4aslongashewinstengamesayearthenforlife'

Would TV (espn) have any influence on the bowl committees? What I mean is PSU and OSU are bigger stories this year than Iowa. Surely, espn would want one of those teams in primetime for a ratings boost at the Insight Bowl. The alternatives would be 1 p.m. EST on January 1st for the Gator Bowl or 11 am CST on December 31st for the Texas Bowl. I'm guessing the timeslot and day of the Insight Bowl will provide higher ratings for TV than the Gator or Texas Bowls. Penn St and Ohio St will provide higher TV ratings than Iowa would. Is there anything to this?

The Insight Bowl kicks off at 10 p.m. EST on December 30. Since it's on a Friday this year, maybe you'll get more people staying up late to watch.

Latest posts